15-day Visa-Free Policy Adopted for Cruise Tour Groups to Shanghai

Published: Oct. 20, 2016
Shanghai has implemented a 15-day visa-free policy for cruise tour groups since Oct. 1, 2016. Tourist groups that arrive in Shanghai by cruise and will exit by the same cruise can now have a 15-day visa-free stay in China provided that they meet all requirements.

Aliens eligible for this policy are not only allowed to stay in Shanghai, they can also travel to Beijing and other coastal provinces with the ship, including Liaoning, Hebei, Tianjin, Shandong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan. The total time they will spend in China shall not exceed 15 days, and the 15-day limit counts from the following day after their arrival.

1. A qualified foreign tourist group should contain at least two members and will be received by a Chinese travel agency at Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal or Wusong Passenger Transport Center.
2. Tourists should book a tour with a local Chinese travel agency at least 24 hours before their arrival.
3. Upon arrival, passengers just need to show travel document, mostly passport, at the immigration counter to disembark from the ship. Neither Entry Card nor Exit Card is needed. And no entry or exit record will be stamped on the travel document.

"In the past year, over 1.6 million tourists entered and exited Shanghai by cruise ships; however, among them there were only 69 thousand foreign visitors. We realized that the strict visa policy might push some visitors to give up the tour in China. We hope the 15-day visa-free policy will boost cruise tourism in China." said a senior officer.

 1. If I enter Shanghai by cruise but don’t take the cruise to leave, can I still use this policy?
Sorry, if you want to use the 15-day visa-free policy, you must leave by the same cruise. You can check whether the 24-hour direct transit or 144-hour visa-free transit is applicable to you.

 2. What should I do if my stay is longer than 15 days due to force majeure?
If you have to stay for more than 15 days, you need to take relevant proofs and a letter from the travel agency to the local exit and entry administration to apply for a normal visa.

 3. Must I return to the ship to spend night or can I stay in a downtown hotel?
Either is fine. When you register at the hotel, your passport and a tour member name list stamped with entry record are required.

 4. Who to contact if I want to learn more about this policy?
You can contact Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection at 086-021-31366000 or Pujiang Immigration Inspection at 086-021-31366700.
Related News