Generally speaking, the Chinese embassies or consulates in foreign countries/regions will be closed on Chinese public holidays and the resident country. Because the holidays of resident countries vary greatly, only the public holidays of China in 2014 is listed here for reference. If you will apply for visa, you'd better read the notice released on its official website beforehand because some Chinese embassies/consulates will be closed on different dates during public holidays.
|New Year's Day||January 1||Wednesday|
|Spring Festival||January 31 - February 2||Friday - Sunday|
|Qingming Festival||April 4||Friday|
|International Labor Day||May 1||Thursday|
|Dragon Boat Festival||June 2||Monday|
|Mid-Autumn Festival||September 8||Monday|
|Chinese National Day||October 1 - 3||Wednesday - Friday|
Note: When a public holiday falls on Sunday, the embassy is closed on the following Monday; when a public holiday falls on a Saturday, the embassy is closed on the preceding Friday. For example, the International Labor Day is on May 1 (Sunday), in fact, the embassy or consulate will be closed on May 2, the following Monday.
Please be advised that generally there are more applicants than usual during the first two business days after the holidays and longer waiting time will be expected.
Every country has its own public holidays; most European countries celebrate Good Friday, Easter Day, Christmas Day and their National Day. Some Muslim countries celebrate its Eid Al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) and Eid Al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice or Kurban Bairam).
According to tradition, the embassies or consulates in USA, UK, Canada, Australia and Germany will also be closed in the following days.
1. USA: Martin Luther King's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
2. UK: Good Friday, Easter Day, Spring Bank Holiday, Summer Bank Holiday and Christmas Day.
3. Canada: Good Friday, Easter Day, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civil Holiday, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day and Christmas Day
4. Australia: Australia Day, Good Friday, Easter Day, Queen's Birthday and Christmas Day.
5. Germany: Good Friday, Easter Day, Ascension Day, Pentecost Day (Whit Sunday), German Unity Day and Christmas Day
Holiday Schedule of Chinese Embassies and Consulates
2014 Holiday Schedule of Embassy of PRC in USA
2014 Holiday Schedule of Embassy of PRC in UK
2014 Holiday Schedule of Embassy of PRC in Canada
2014 Holiday Schedule of Embassy of PRC in Australia