Guidelines to Chinese Visa Application
- FAQ about Chinese Visa Application
- Number of Entries / Validity / Duration of Each Stay
1. Single, Double and Multiple Entry
2. Validity (Enter Before)
3. Duration of Stay (After Entry)
- Visa on Arrival
There are certain emergency situations which will permit aliens to get a VOA at entry ports of mainland China.
Latest Visa Policies:
From Jul. 16, 2014 to 24:00, Sep. 28, 2014, foreigners with Youth Olympic Accreditation Cards (YOAC) and valid passports or other traveling documents can enjoy multiple entries and exits for China within their YOAC’s validity.
From Aug. 1, 2014 to Aug. 1, 2015, an official proof of polio vaccination within one year is required for nationals holding passports of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, Iraq, Syria, Ethiopia and Somali when they enter China.
- Tourist (L) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for tourism.
- Business (F/M) Issued to aliens who are invited to PRC for business visit, an investigation, a lecture, scientific-technological & cultural exchanges, intern practice.
- Student (X) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for study, furthering studies.
- Work (Z) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for a post or employment.
- Talent (R) issued to high-level personnel and much-needed highly talented people.
- Family Reunion (Q) issued to to relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence permit residing in PRC.
- Private Visit (S) issued to family members of foreigners residing in China for work, study, etc.
- Transit (G) Issued to aliens who are going to a third country in transit of PRC.
- Crew (C) Issued to crewmembers involving international-based transportation by trains, airway and ships and their accompanying family members.
- Resident (D) Issued to aliens who are going to reside permanently in PRC.
- Journalist (J-1, J-2) Issued to foreign journalists for the purpose of reporting from PRC.
- Application in Your Own Country
- Application in China (Renewals and Extension)
- Application in a Third Country & Regions
- Fees, Overstaying
- Mail Service
- Holiday Schedule of Chinese Embassies/Consulates
- Visa Cancellation & Airline Regulations
- Mutual Visa Exemption between PRC and Foreign Countries
- Visa Application Form of PRC
- Hong Kong Visa/Entry Permit Application Form
- Macau Visa Application Form
- Physical Examination Record for Foreigner
- Affidavit of Marital Status
- Application Form of Notarization and Legalization
- Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW201
- Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW202
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship
The information is relevant to holders of ordinary passports. If you hold a diplomatic or service passport, there are different rules and you will need to get advice from your employer.
Wherever you are in doubt about your situation, you should contact your local Chinese office directly, such as Chinese Embassy in Washington DC, USA, Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada, Chinese Embassy in London, UK.
Mostly, a visa is a permit granted before travelling to enter a country, usually for a fee. However, it is only an indication to immigration officials that you have satisfied certain conditions. On arrival, the immigration official has the power to approve or disallow your entrance. So, when you arrive you can be told that you may not enter. This can be for many reasons including a belief that there is something wrong with the passport or the visa, you do not have enough money, you plan to work when the type you hold does not allow this, or that you are in some other way 'undesirable'. There is normally nothing you can do about it and you will not be permitted to enter. This poses problems for airlines and in turn for passengers – see the heading Airline Rules
Sometimes, a visa can be issued at the border when you arrive. This is half way between being a true one and a 'no visa required' situation. There are not many situations where this is available for entry to China.
Marriage Registration in China
It explains the basic rules that foreigners need to know about marriage registration in China.
Passport Visa Forum
China Holiday Packages
- 9 Days Beijing - Xian - ChengduSmall Group from $1099