Embassy & Consulate of South Africa in China

Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Beijing

Ambassador: H.E. Mr. Ndumiso Ndima Ntshinga
Address: No. 5, Dong Zhi Men Wai Da Jie, Dongcheng District
Postal Code: 100600
Tel: (+86)10 6532 0171
Fax: (+86)10 6532 7139
E-mail: embassy@saembassy.org.cn


Consulate General in Shanghai

Address: Room 2706, the Bund Center, No.220 Yan'an East Road, Shanghai 200002 
Tel: (+86)21 5359 4977
Fax: (+86)21 6335 2980
Consular Jurisdiction: Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province, Zhejiang Province, Anhui Province, Fujian Province, Guangdong Province, Shandong Province

Information about Visa

For all types of Chinese passport holders, they are required to apply for a visa in their Embassy in Beijing or Consulate General in Shanghai. There is no need to pay a certain amount of deposit for the following Chinese: Chinese with diplomatic passport holders, service passport or passport for public affaires; applicants invited by their direct relatives (parents, children, brothers, sisters) own the South Africa Permanent Resident Permit; tour organized by travel agencies authorized by China National Tourism Administration. Other applicants all need pay a 15,000 RMB deposit to the Embassy in Beijing. People return to China can take back their deposit by Deposit Receipt.

Regulations on Entry

For entering South Africa, people should hold valid passport and visa; they are required to show Return Ticket or Round-Trip Ticket and International Health Certificate. Entrant who has gone through Yellow Fever Zone must have the International Certificate of Vaccination.


It is necessary to make a customs declaration if you take exceeding 20,000 dollars in cash to enter South Africa.

People are allowed to bring 400 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 250 grams of tobacco, 2 liters of red wine, 1 liter of liquors and personal presents not exceeding 1, 250 ZAR (South African Rand). If the articles you take value more than 10, 000 ZAR, they will be charged 20% of the total value as tariff by customs.

For foreign travelers buying souvenirs exceeding 250 ZAR, they can apply for Return V.A.T. at the Airport Drawback Office within 90days counted from the shopping date.

 Please contact China Embassy in South Africa if South Africans will go to China.
 China Tour from Johannesburg South Africa

- Last modified on May. 26, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on Embassy & Consulate of South Africa in China
Asked by Leon Ludick from SOUTH AFRICA | May. 21, 2019 02:31Reply
Study visa to Work Visa
Good day

I am a South African citizen living in Shanghai, I want to know the process of applying for an ID card as the green book is pretty outdated and my picture is already 10 years old. Where can I go to apply for a new ID card in Shanghai?

I also want to know. I am applying for a working visa to permanently work in China. I have all the needed documentation needed for the work I will be doing. Is there any way you can help me understand where I need to go to apply for the Z visa?

Thank you.
Leon Ludick
Answers (3)
Answered by Doris from USA | May. 23, 2019 17:55

You should apply in Public Security Bureau of Shanghai Municipal People's Government.
Answered by Leon Ludick from CHINA | May. 26, 2019 02:56

How can I change my X1visa to a working visa. I have all the documents and requirements to apply. Can I do it in China?
Answered by Doris from USA | May. 26, 2019 20:43

You can do it in Public Security Bureau of Shanghai Municipal People's Government.
Asked by Armien Klassen from SOUTH AFRICA | Aug. 18, 2018 08:57Reply
Convert tourist visa to chinese z,work visa
I have a job offer from a school in China.

I need to start the job on the 3rd of September.

The school is saying I can come on a tourist L and then go to hong kong and have it converted into a work permit.

I have all my documents sorted,
Degree authenticated and notorized
Tefl authenticated and notorized
Police check authenticated and notorised
Physical exam authenticated and notorised

But now they are saying I can consider coming through on a tourist visa then converting it in hong kong into a work permit, z

Is this possible for South Africans?
How much does this cost?
On average how long does this conversation take?
Is this a scam?
Sounds like they want me to bait me into owing them money before I even start working.

please assist
Answers (1)
Answered by Harriet from USA | Aug. 20, 2018 18:20

That's possible for you to do that. Or after you get the work permit from your employer, you can try to change your tourist L type into the work Z type at the exit and entry administration of the local PSB within China. If it can succeed, you don’t need to go to HK for that. It may cost CNY168 and takes 7 working days. You can contact the local PSB to inquire the details after you go into China. Good luck.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)