South Africa

Chinese Embassy in South Africa

Ambassador: Mr. Chen Xiaodong
Address: 225 Athlone Street, Arcadia 0083, Pretoria, South Africa

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in South Africa

Address: 255 Athlone Street, Arcadia, Pretoria
Tel: +27-12-4316537 08:00 - 12:00 from Mon. - Fri. except public holidays.
Fax: +27-12-4307620
Office Hours: 09:00-11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday (except holidays)

Consular Districts of the Consulates

Consulate General Consular Jurisdiction
The Embassy in Pretoria Pretoria Region, North West Province, Limpopo Province, Mpumalanga Province, the Kingdom of Swaziland
The Consulate General in Cape Town Eastern Cape Province, Western Cape Province, Northern Cape Province
The Consulate General in Durban KwaZulu-Natal Province
The Consulate General in Johannesburg Gauteng Province, Free State Province (Orange Free State)

Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC)

The Center is responsible for receiving applications of ordinary passport holders for visiting mainland PRC, Hong Kong and Macau. Postal service for applications is currently not available. 

Meanwhile, the Consular Section of the Embassy will only receive applications from diplomatic or (official) service passport holders. The Consular Section of the Embassy will not accept applications sent by post.

The CVASC in Johannesburg

Address: 14th Floor, Sandton City Office Tower, Corner Rivonia Road & 5th Street, Sandhurst Ext3. Sandton 2196 Johannesburg, RSA
Business Hours: Working days, Closed on Public Holidays.
Submission of applications: 9:00 - 15:00
Collection: 9:00 - 16:00
Tel: 27 11 5059300 
Fax:  27 86 6474899

The CVASC in Durban

Address: 45 Zenith Drive,Umhlanga New Town Center, Durban
Business Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 to 12:30, Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. 
Tel:  27 87 8020460
Fax:  27 31 5664694

The CVASC in Cape Town

Address: The 2nd floor of West Office Building,Canal Walk, RSA
Business Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 to 12:30, Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
Tel:  27 87 808 5507
Fax:  27 86 589 3248

Visa Fees (ZAR)

South Africans

Types Regular Express
 Single Entry 300 600
Double Entry 375 675
6-month Multi-Entry 525 825
12-month Multi-Entry 675 975

US citizens

Types Regular Express
Single / Double / Multiple Entries 2,470 2,770


Types Regular Express
Single / Double / Multiple Entries 530 830

Citizens of Other Countries

Types Regular Express
Single Entry 300 600
Double Entry 450 750
6-month Multi-Entry 600 900
12-month Multi-Entry 900 1,200

Application Service Fees of the CVASC

Services Fees
Regular Service 720
Express Service 1,060

1. Regular service takes 4 working days; express service takes 3 working days.
2. Debit Card, Credit Card and account transfer are acceptable.

2024 Public Holidays of the Embassy

Festival Date Day
New Year's Day Jan. 1 Monday
Chinese New Year Feb. 12 - 14 Monday - Wednesday
Qingming Festival April 4 - 5 Thursday - Friday
International Labor Day May 1 Wednesday
Dragon Boat Festival June 10 Monday
Mid-Autumn Festival  September 16 - 17 Monday - Tuesday
Chinese National Day October 1 - 4 Tuesday - Friday

  Please contact Embassy of South Africa in China if South Africans have problems there.
 China Tour from Johannesburg South Africa
 Related China Embassies in Africa: Sudan, Tanzania, Togo
- Last updated on Apr. 22, 2024 by Gabby Li -
Questions & Answers on Chinese Embassy in South Africa
Asked by Ivan from SOUTH AFRICA | Apr. 22, 2024 09:07Reply
Obtaining a visa for working at an International School with a qualification equivalent to Be degree
I have an ADE qualification from North West University. I have verified documents from SAQA, and the university, of the qualification's NQF level 7 - same as a 4 year PGCE or Bed
However, it does not state 'BA'. The school I applied to mentioned it might be a problem to obtain a working visa. Even with 20 years experience in teaching. What can I do?
Answers (1)
Answered by Joshua | Apr. 22, 2024 23:47

For the educational requirements for work visa applying, applicants need to have a Bachelor's degree or higher and the degree needs to be relevant to the position they are applying for. Maybe this is the reason? I think you should communicate with the school and if they have given you an offer, they should consider helping you to get a work visa.
Asked by MOTLALEPULE from RSA | Dec. 13, 2023 01:23Reply
Hi, Need to Get Details on How to Apply Visas to China for 3 People on Tourist Visas to China
We are based in Mpumalanga, Can we also get prices for each visa
Answers (1)
Answered by Daisy | Dec. 13, 2023 19:01

You need to complete the application form online first and then make an online appointment. Then prepare all the required documents to submit in person to the Chinese visa service center. You can find more details on the official website of the Chinese visa application center :

The visa fee: R300 for Single-entry; R375 for Double-entry

Asked by Miles from ZIMBABWE | Nov. 29, 2023 04:52Reply
How much is X1 for Zimbabweans in US Dollar
Answers (1)
Answered by Andy | Nov. 30, 2023 01:06

It costs USD 270 for the visa ( Multiple Entries for 12 Months).

Asked by Melissa from SOUTH AFRICA | Oct. 31, 2023 21:45Reply
Z visa fees south africa
How much is the Z visa appointment fee
Answers (1)
Answered by Helen | Oct. 31, 2023 23:09

Generally, it costs ZAR 1,140 for a single-entry visa.
Asked by Zakkiyya from SOUTH AFRICA | Oct. 10, 2023 14:16Reply
Z visa and spouse visa processing
Hi im from south africa.I have just secured a job in china.I needed to know if china accepts religious marriage certificate.
I also need to know I have done my tefl via an American based company.How do I authenticate that document?
I need to know what documents need to go to the high court and what documents need to go to dirco.
Answers (1)
Answered by Andrew | Oct. 10, 2023 23:57

If your marriage certificate can be legalized, it is okay. As for specific process, it is suggested to contact the Embassy directly.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)