China Guide
Home /

Chinese Embassies and Consulates

Foreign Embassies and Consulates in China

China Visa: Types, Application, Exemption...

Passport:  Function, Types, Period of Validity, Replacement...


Selected Questions and Answers:

 Asked by Mr. Russ(China)
I'm Canadian and have been married to a Chinese lady got two years. We got married and we now both live here. What is the procedure for me to qualify for a long term (5 year) permament visa if I plan to stay longer here? I have now been living here for more than four years.

 Answered by Mr.Charles
It is very difficult to get a permanent visa. Please read the Regulations on Permanent Residence of Aliens on the website, then you know the regulations are so strict and rigorous.

  Asked by Ms. Lily(USA)
Hi, I'm a US passport holder. My 1 year Chinese Visa will expire soon, but I need to stay longer for another five days. I don't think I'll have time to renew it prior to my trip.
So my question here is, can I extend or renew it while in Beijing? I thank you in advance for your prompt response.

 Answered by Mrs. Lorna(USA)
Yes, you can extend the duration of your visa at the Exit & Enter Department of Beijing Public Security Bureau before it expires.

  Asked by Ms. Marja(AUSTRALIA)
I am a German passport holder with a working visa for Australia, wishing to travel soon - is it possible for me to obtain a visa from one of the consulates in Australia (or possibly new Zealand, as I may be traveling here in the next few months)?? Thanks :)

 Answered by Mr. Mac
Yes, you can apply from one Chinese consulate in Australia which is near to you because you hold Australian work visa which permits you stay in Australia for a long time. If you apply in New Zealand, you maybe can't get it because you just a temporary visitors to New Zealand. Please bear in mind that single entry tourist L is only valid for 3 months, please don't apply for it too early.

- Last modified on Jan. 24, 2021 -
Questions & Answers on Chinese Embassies and Consulates
Asked by Martin from NEW ZEALAND | May. 08, 2021 21:40Reply
China mainland residency.
I am a New Zealand born citizen and I married a woman who was born in Nanning, Guangxi Province China
and we are currently living in Auckland New Zealand.
She has a Taiwanese Passport where she had lived for a number of years but her main family still live in Guangxi China consisting of her father one brother and one sister, unfortunately we lost her mother a year ago
and now after several visits and discussion's with the family we have been considering moving to China to be close to them all.
Would we be able to apply for residency ?
I am 71 and the wife is 58 this month of May.
Answers (1)
Answered by Stella | May. 10, 2021 01:51

To be frank, it's difficult for you to get the permmanent residency. But since the father of your wife is a Chinese, you can apply for family reunion visas instead, which is much easier. After entering China, you can then change the visas into temporary resident permit, which will be valid for 1-5 years. When it is going to expire, you can go to extend it at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) Exit and Entry Administration in China. Good luck!
Asked by Hans from AUSTRIA | May. 08, 2021 15:55Reply
L Visa to Q1 visa
Hello , is it possible to change an L visa to a Q1 visa or to a temporary residence permit ( for spouse reunion) while in China? Or is applying at an Embassy for Q1 the only way ?
Thank you.
Answers (1)
Answered by Stella | May. 10, 2021 01:57

It's possible to renew your L visa into a Q1 visa within China but not guaranteed. Good luck!
Asked by Jim from CHINA | May. 04, 2021 21:13Reply
I am US citizen living and working in China. My wife is Chinese citizen. We married in China.
My children born in China and been using travel documents to make trips between US and China in last few years. In past we always renewed travel documents in NYC, USA. Now due to Covid travel limitations, the documents expire this Summer while we in China. Can we renew travel documents in China? Can we apply for visas instead in China?
Answers (1)
Answered by Bruce | May. 10, 2021 02:07

So your travel documents are issued by Chinese embassy in USA? Under current circumstance, it’s possible for you to renew them within China and you should handle it in local Public Security Bureau Exit and Entry Administration office.

I’m afraid you cannot apply for a new visa in China, but instead renew or extend the original ones.
Asked by victoria from USA | May. 04, 2021 12:43Reply
Applying for a Q visa
Hello, I am an American citizen located in the US, and I would like to know whether it is possible right now (May 2021) for me to apply for a Q1 visa for visiting my Chinese grandparents in Beijing. I have been vaccinated (Moderna).
Answers (1)
Answered by Linda | May. 10, 2021 02:13

It's possible for you to get a Q visa right now. One more thing, you still need to be quarantined after entering even though you've been vaccinated.
Asked by Lei from PHILIPPINES | May. 03, 2021 22:38Reply
6 years over stayed .can get residence visa with the help of a chinese lawyer?
A girl was over stayed in China. 6-7 years O.S. said she files a residence visa with the help of a chinese lawyer. Is this possible?
Answers (1)
Answered by Linda | May. 10, 2021 02:14

I don't think it's possible after such a long time overstaying.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)