China Visa

China Visa

China Visa Types

  • Tourist (L) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for tourism.
  • Business (M) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for business and trade activities.
  • Student (X) Issued to aliens who are going for study, furthering studies.
  • Work (Z) Issued to aliens who are going for a post or employment.
  • Transit (G) Issued to aliens who are going to a third country in transit of PRC.
  • Private Visit (S) Issued to family members of foreigners residing in China for work, study, etc.
  • Family Reunion (Q) Issued to relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence permit residing in PRC.
  • Noncommercial Visit (F) Issued to aliens who are invited to a lecture, scientific-technological & cultural exchanges, study tours, etc.
  • Talent (R) Issued to high-level personnel and much-needed highly talented people.
  • Crew (C) Issued to crewmembers involving international-based transportation by trains, airway and ships and their accompanying family members.
  • Resident (D) Issued to aliens who are going to reside permanently in PRC.
  • Journalist (J-1, J-2) Issued to foreign journalists for the purpose of reporting from PRC.


Do you need a visa to travel to China?

If holding an ordinary passport, you need to apply for a visa for China unless you are covered by China’s visa exemption policy, such as the 24/72/144 hours visa free transit schemes, Hainan 30-day visa-free access, visa exemption for tour groups meeting certain requirements, and visa-free entry for holders of APEC Business Travel Card. It’s worth mention that nationals of countries which have reached mutual visa-exemption agreements with China, like Singapore, Brunei, Japan, and Qatar, can also enjoy free entry to China. Those who hold a Chinese Temporary Residence Permit don’t need a visa for China either within the Residence Permit’s validity.

How to apply a visa for China?

 Step 1: Read the application requirements carefully and collect all required documents.

 Step 2: Visit the Chinese embassy or consulate in charge of your residence district and submit the application documents. In countries where there are Chinese Visa Application Centers (CVASC), you may need to go to the CVASC. Mail service in some countries is available.

 Step 3: Pay the fee and collect your passport and visa on the date shown on the pick-up slip. If you use mail service, just wait for your mail.

China Embassies

Chinese Embassy in Washington DC, USA
Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada
Chinese Embassy in London, UK
Chinese Embassy in Canberra, Australia
Chinese Embassy in Wellington, New Zealand
 More Chinese Embassies and Consulates
- Last modified on Feb. 13, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Visa
Asked by Jane from PHILIPPINES | Feb. 13, 2019 05:10Reply
Hello, Tourist visa application.
I’m working in Japan (with valid residence card valid until 2021) but also hold Hong Kong SAR residency but hold a Philippine passport. I want to visit a friend in Shanghai, can I apply for a visa in Japan?
Answers (1)
Answered by Hunter from DENMARK | Feb. 13, 2019 18:11

It's possible for you to apply from the CVASC in Japan after preparing all right documents.
Asked by Xiaoli | Feb. 11, 2019 20:28Reply
I want to take my 10 month son who was born in Guam, has US passport. How and where do I apply visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by Alma from FRANCE | Feb. 12, 2019 18:34

If you apply for tourist L type, first, prepare your passport and copy of its data page, the application form, a passport-style photo, round trip air tickets and hotel reservation. Next, submit the application to Chinese embassy or consulate.
Asked by Guest | Feb. 11, 2019 19:16Reply
Maximum duration L visa for French passport holder?

In the past I have successfully applied for, and been granted, several 1-year L as a French passport holder residing in Hong Kong. Today the travel agency is telling me the China visa policy has changed a few months ago, and that French passport holders may now only apply for 6-months L. Is this true?

Thank you for your time.
Answers (1)
Answered by Ann | Feb. 12, 2019 18:31

That would be true. If you doubt that, you are advised to contact the visa office to confirm.
Asked by Lostintranslation from EUROPE | Feb. 11, 2019 01:49Reply
Lost passport and forced overstay
Thanks so much for this outlet, I wouldn’t know where to get answers otherwise.
I’m here on a X2 student visa expiring on the 14th of Feb, same day as my flight back to Europe, but I can’t find my passport. I’m afraid it’s been stolen or that I’ve lost it somewhere. Either way it’s gone. I’ll go to the police tomorrow early morning to report the passport missing and then apply for a new passport at the embassy. Problem is that I’m afriad I won’t get the passport before my orginal visa expires, so that I miss my flight and overstay. I don’t know what I do after I get my new passport nor the procedure/penalties. Please help 🙏🏻
Answers (1)
Answered by Bonnie from DOMINICA | Feb. 12, 2019 00:50

You should first report your loss to the local police station and then you can get the loss certificate. Afterwards, take the loss certificate to the your embassy in China to apply for a new passport. Good luck.
Asked by pavan kumar from INDIA | Feb. 10, 2019 22:58Reply
Which consulate should i apply for VISA ?
My passport was issued in Hyderabad, India and my company is also based in Hyderabad, India.

could you please advise which consulate should i apply for business visa.

regards, Pavan Kumar
Answers (1)
Answered by Sandra from SAN MARINO | Feb. 12, 2019 00:48

Maybe you can apply from the CVASC in New Delhi.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)