Home / Embassy / Visa /

Apply for China Visa in a Third Country

It’s a common scene that travelers need to obtain China visas in a country which is not their home country, usually called a third country.

Can you apply for a Chinese visa in another country?

While it is possible to apply for Chinese visa outside home country, you may run into more difficulties compared with applying from your own country. Some consular offices do not accept applications from temporary visitors in the country concerned. In some cases having a visa for that country is considered OK, but this might be of no help if you are in a country where you do not require one.

There is no simple answer to this issue, nor is it clear exactly why this rule exists. The first option is to try at every Chinese consulate en route in the hope that one will grant you a China visa. Some people may courier passport and application to a friend or agent in their own country to apply for China visa, but this will be in vain because the applicant is required to be physically in the application country.

Requirements for Applying China Visa in a Third Country

1. Passport with a remaining validity of six months and blank visa pages
2. A completed China Visa Application Form
3. A 48mm x 33mm recent color photo
4. Proof of legal stay or residency in the third country, which can be your visa, residence permit, student certificate or employment permit in the country
5. Other documents supporting your reason for the intended travel, such as travel itinerary, round-trip tickets, or an invitation letter from a China travel agency

Apply for China Visa in Hong Kong and Macau

Hong Kong and Macau are considered as foreign territory on this regard so they are considered as 'third regions'.

It’s possible to apply for a Chinese visa in Hong Kong or Macau, but maybe for shorter duration of stay compared with applying from your home country. If you have an ID card or long-term visa there, it may facilitate the application.

Generally speaking, you can only get single or double entry China visa if you are visitors in Hong Kong without HK ID Card; if you have previous entries into mainland or you are Hong Kong student/work visa holders, you possibly can get a multiple-entry visa to mainland. The same rule applies to Macau.

As there is chance that your application may get refused, here TravelChinaGuide advises that you had better arrange Chinese visa in advance in your resident country to reduce the risk of visa refusal. If you have to apply from HK or Macau, you need to go to the China Visa Application Center in Hong Kong or the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC in Macau.

China Visa Application Center in Hong Kong

Address: 20th Floor, Capital Center, 151 Gloucester Road, Wanchai
Opening Hours: 09:00 - 16:00 from Monday to Friday (except public holidays)
Telephone: 852-29921999
Fax: 852-29891116
Email: hongkongcenter@visaforchina.org

Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC in Macau

It is quite small and some travelers suggest it is less generous than the Hong Kong office.

Address: No. 208, Av. de Marciano Baptista
Telephone: 853- 87915404
Fax: 853- 28726900
Offices Hours: 09:00 - 12:30 & 14:30 - 18:00 from Monday to Friday (except public holidays)

Cost for Applying from Hong Kong & Macau

China Visa Fee US Canada UK New Zealand
Apply in HK HKD 1,340 HKD 850 HKD 1,180 HKD 1,070
Apply in Macau MOP 1,130 MOP 630 MOP 1,190 MOP 850

* For reference only.
* It takes 4 working days for visa processing. If you want to get it within 2-3 days, you have to apply for rush service or express service by paying extra money.

 Note: Foreigners residing in Taiwan can apply for China visa either from Hong Kong or Macau, or from their home country.

Further Reading:

How to Apply for a China Visa
How to Apply a China Visa in Hong Kong
China Visa Application Requirements

- Last modified on Sep. 07, 2020 -
Questions & Answers on Apply for China Visa in a Third Country
Asked by Petra from UK | Oct. 09, 2020 07:54Reply
Visa enquiry

My old Q1 visa was cancelled due to the epidemics and I would like to re-apply for a new one outside of China. When I arrive to China, can I change the visa to X visa? I would like to study from February.
Thank you
Answers (1)
Answered by Miranda | Oct. 15, 2020 19:57

Yes, it's possible to convert the Q visa to an X visa in China with the help of your school.
Asked by Joe from USA | Oct. 08, 2020 02:46Reply
Taiwan visitor(US citizen) needs China visa from Hong Kong
Hi, Wondering if I could obtain a China visa in Hong Kong by hiring the services of a visa agent while staying in Taiwan? I work in Shenzhen and my visa is a renewal; it lapsed while I was waiting for the borders to reopen. This new policy should allow me to renew my visa.
Answers (1)
Answered by Andrew | Oct. 15, 2020 19:36

No, if you want to renew your visa in Hong Kong, you should be physically in Hong Kong.
Asked by Sunuwar Ram sharan from NEPAL | Sep. 28, 2020 06:31Reply
Hello I’m from Nepal I’m working in Macau can I apply china visa from Macau
Hello have a good day! I’m holding Nepalese passport. I’m working here in Macau can I apply now Chinese visa from Macau.
Answers (1)
Answered by Cindy | Sep. 29, 2020 23:45

During the epidemic period, it is not very likely to apply for a China visa from Macau.
Asked by Alex from RUSSIA | Sep. 21, 2020 11:03Reply
visa with PU
Hello. I am Russian and working in Poland, having working visa for 5,5 months. Can I apply for chinese visa with PU letter in Poland as I have polish working visa ?
Answers (1)
Answered by Tom | Sep. 24, 2020 01:02

Yes, you can have a try.
Asked by Damien from FRANCE | Sep. 14, 2020 06:11Reply
Can French citizen enter Hong Kong?
I'm a french citizen, I intended to get married with my girlfriend (who is a foreigner working in mainland china) in HK, and apply for the reunion visa. since my girlfriend has a work visa in China. May I ask if I can enter HK by air from Paris/Lyon? If so, what are the requirements?

Thank you in advance.
Answers (1)
Answered by Nancy | Sep. 17, 2020 01:26

You should contact HK Immigration Department to see if the border has been opened for foreigners.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)