Home / Embassy / Visa /

China Visa Renewal and Extension

Generally speaking, it is not possible to renew, extend a China visa or change it into another type once it is issued. However, if you want to spend more time there, want a multiple-entry visa, or need to have a different type of visa, you can - in many circumstances - apply within China.

Currently, it seems that one month is the standard period for regular tourist visa extension. However, the accumulated length of the extended stay cannot exceed the duration of stay on your original visa.

Where to extend or renew China visa?

The procedure is very similar to applying outside through Chinese embassy, but you must go to the Public Security Bureau (PSB) Exit and Entry Administration office of county level or above. Smaller centers might not have good English speakers so it is a good idea to take a Chinese friend with you if you can. Ask at international hotels if you are not sure where the PSB Exit and Entry Administration office is.

When to apply for China visa renewal and extension?

According to the regulations, you have to submit application for extension at least 7 days before your visa expires. The PSB officers will issue you with a receipt once they accept your application and make the final decision within 7 days. If you apply too late, you may overstay and are subject to a fine and possible deportation.

The new visa runs from the date of issue (a small difference compared with those issued outside China which do not start until entry) and the old one is cancelled at the same time. So, you cannot have two concurrent visas.

How to extend or renew my China visa?

The required documents you must prepare in advance include your passport, a recent passport style photo, a registration form of temporary residence, and proof about reasons for extending or renewing your China visa, for example, if you apply for tourist visa extension, you need to submit a travel itinerary.

In normal cases, the applicant should come in person to the PSB Exit and Entry Administration office to submit the application. Upon arrival, complete a visa application form and attach your photo onto it. Then submit the application.

In the following situations, the applicant can have others or an agency submit the application:
1) The applicant is under 16 or more than 60 years old, or with mobility difficulties.
2) The applicant is not a first-time visitor to China and has a good stay record for the past visits.
3) There is an inviting entity or individual funding the applicant’s visit.

How to get the registration form of temporary residence for overseas visitors

The residency registration comes from the regulation that all foreigners must register their accommodation details within 24 hours after entering China.

If you are staying in a hotel certified to accommodate foreigners, it can provide you with a hotel accommodation registration slip. If not, you must obtain an accommodation registration printout from the police station for the area you are living in and where you should already have registered. So if you are staying in a non accredited hotel or with friends or in an apartment but have not registered, you should either register or stay in an accredited hotel for one night in order to get the slip.

How much does it cost to extend a China visa?

For nationals of most countries, the fee is CNY 160. For some countries, the fee may differ. US citizens need to pay CNY 760 for an extension while UK citizens need CNY 469.

Further Reading:

How to Apply for a China Visa
Apply for China Visa in a Third Country

- Last modified on May. 06, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Visa Renewal and Extension
Asked by Gary from ARMENIA | Jul. 13, 2019 22:09Reply
30 days multiple entry
I have a multiple entry Visa with a maximum stay of 30 days once this 30 days are finished, can I travel to Hong Kong or Macau for two or three days and then return to mainland China?
Answers (1)
Answered by Paul from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 15, 2019 01:32

Yes, you can.
Asked by Aidan from CANADA | Jul. 12, 2019 10:45Reply
Changing from L to X1 visa
Is it possible to change from an L to X1 visa in Shanghai, assuming I have all proper documents?
Answers (1)
Answered by Rita from USA | Jul. 14, 2019 19:12

Aidan, you may be asked to change your visa type outside mainland China.
Asked by Obaid from PAKISTAN | Jul. 12, 2019 01:44Reply
Hello, my family has been given S2 visa, can it be converted to S1 in china?
Answers (1)
Answered by Maria from USA | Jul. 12, 2019 02:11

Obid, it is possible for you to change S2 to S1 at local PSB. Have a try!
Asked by Ahsan from UZBEKISTAN | Jul. 11, 2019 02:37Reply
Student Visa X1 extension for one month
I am currently on Student Visa X1 which will expire on 25 July , I need further one month extension so I can verify my documents and have other things to do. I wrote a letter explaining reason and went to local PSB but they asked me to come back on 23rd July just 2 days before my Visa expire. Now I am confused , If I give them my passport for extension then I can't return home till 25th I am afraid maybe they reject my request. I want to know if I submit my documents successfully to them. Is there any chances they can be rejected ?
Answers (4)
Answered by Amber from USA | Jul. 11, 2019 23:46

Dear, just follow local PSB officer's instruction. You will not be rejected as along as you have adequate proof for extension.
Answered by mica from CHINA | Jul. 16, 2019 00:25

Hello any update dear? I am somehow in the same situation. You went to your school or directly to the immigration? what are the documents that they required please?
Answered by Ahsan from UZBEKISTAN | Jul. 16, 2019 02:23

I went to immigration directly and submitted my documents. Required documents are
1 temporary residence permit from school
2 certificate of degree completion for school
3. Write application in Chinese of reason
4. Passport with copies
Answered by Mica from CHINA | Jul. 16, 2019 15:58

Thank you very much for your answer
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)