Home / Embassy / Visa /

Hong Kong Visa Policy

Hong Kong Visa
Sample (click to enlarge)

Hong Kong visa is not required for tourists from more than 160 countries. A stay ranging from 7 to 180 days is granted according to nationality. People from those Hong Kong visa free countries, however, need to get a HK visa if they intend to work, study, establish or join in a business there or if their tour is beyond the granted visa-free stay length. Also, other countries' citizens have to get a HK visa before leaving for HK as it's almost impossible to get it on arrival.

Although Hong Kong is a part of China, as a Special Administrative Region (SAR), it has its own entry regulations. This means the normal Chinese visa does not work for Hong Kong and vice versa.

Generally, Hong Kong is very open to foreigners who simply want to visit as a tourist to conduct business activities for an overseas business such as visiting clients and prospects, providing training, or attending trade fairs. Overall, the rules are essentially the same as under the British administration that preceded the SAR's return to Chinese control.

Always remember that all countries and Chinese SARs have the right to refuse entry to any person, whatever the regulations permit, and that even when you have a visa you can be denied entry at the border. Also, the information provided here is for people travelling on standard passports, not special ones like diplomatic or service passports, nor special or restricted passports.

Do I need a visa to visit Hong Kong?

Most tourists do not require a visa for a visit to HK. Please see the HK Visa Exemption for Foreign Countries/Areas. All visitors arriving at Immigration control points will be issued with landing slips in lieu of stamping on their passports/travel documents. Conditions and limit of stay in HK, as well as visitor’s personal information and arrival date will be included in the landing slip. Upon departure, no slip will be issued and the travel documents will not be stamped.

The most favored are British nationals who, provided they meet the basic criteria, may enter HK for 180 days without obtaining a visa in advance. USA citizens, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders and most European nationals may enter for 90 days. Others are variously restricted to 30, 14, or 7 days, or in the case of a few countries will only be permitted to enter having previously obtained a visa. Most tourists can easily take the ferry from HK to Macau which has a policy similar to Hong Kong's and typically they will not normally require a Macau visa. They can exit Hong Kong and re-enter for another stay. There is usually no problem re-entering unless the immigration authorities feel you are breaking some rules such as being engaged in business. However, you may be allowed to visit for a longer duration by applying for a visa prior to travel - but it is at the discretion of the consular office whether to grant it or not.

 Note: From January 23, 2017, Indian nationals will need to make a success pre-arrival registration online before they can visit or transit and enter the HKSAR visa-free. Indians in direct transit by air and not leaving the airport transit area are not required to do so.

Basic Entry Requirements for All Foreign Visitors

• have a minimum validity on passport of 1 month beyond the intended stay, or the duration of the visa may be restricted so that there will be one month after the visa expiry
• properly complete the immigration card on arrival
• have a visa if your nationality is required to have one
• have onward or return travel arrangements
• have sufficient funds for your stay without working, based on Immigration's definition, not yours
• no serious criminal records and unlikely to be involved in crime, nor be considered a security risk

Most travelers, especially from western countries, are not checked for compliance with the last three but all travelers should allow for the possibility that immigration might choose to check you. You should also check with your airline's regulations as they may not allow you to fly if you do not meet the stated entry requirements.

Major Types of HK Visa

Tourist / Business / Transit / Employment and Investment / Training / Working holiday / Study / Residence as Dependants
 Where to Apply / Required Documents / Processing Time / Fees

Visitors are normally not permitted to change the type issued or move from a non-visa situation to obtaining one after arrival but of course it is easy to exit HK and apply for a Hong Kong Visa again.

There is full information on the HK Immigration Department webpage:
You can get all the forms and the guidelines from the website.

  Foreign Consulates in Hong Kong

- Last modified on Dec. 27, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on Hong Kong Visa Policy
Asked by Isabel from HONG KONG | Mar. 12, 2020 01:09Reply
Passport Replacement
I am a UK National with a Hong Kong working visa. My passport needs to be replaced due to damage. Can I use my visa in my old passport while travelling my new one, or will I need to reapply for a visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Mar. 12, 2020 08:47

If you have a HKID then just use that with your new passport. Bring your old passport with you in case they ask.
Asked by blessing oyediya combate from PHILIPPINES | Mar. 12, 2020 00:13Reply
how can i get back from where i born (hongkong)
someome could help me?
i born in hongkong but i live here in philippines. I'm planning to go back from where i born but i dnt know how?. is there someone who knows what should i do?
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Mar. 12, 2020 08:49

Birth in HK after 1983 does not confer nationality or residency unless one of your parents is of documented Chinese descent. Filipino passport holders already have visa-free entry of 14 days. If you want to work in HK and don't qualify for residency then you will need to get a visa like anyone else.
Asked by Paciencia Ramos Valencia from PHILIPPINES | Mar. 03, 2020 06:47Reply
How many days can I stay in Philippines if I have a working visa here?
Answers (1)
Answered by Kimi | Mar. 03, 2020 20:32

It depends on how long your visa is valid for.
Asked by Miguel Pepito from PHILIPPINES | Feb. 25, 2020 04:02Reply
Hi, Im from the Philippines, and Im planning to buy separate tickets from PHL-Hong Kong then Hong-Kong to Santiago, Chile and the same with my return flights. So basically ill be coming back to hong kong twice with probably less than 10 hours lay over in Hong Kong each. Do i need a Hong Kong Visa for that matter?
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Feb. 26, 2020 14:16

Filipinos are visa-exempt for 14 days in HK for every entry.
Asked by Nora Nelson from USA | Feb. 15, 2020 16:06Reply
u.s. permanent resident
Hi, I am a Filipino holding a u.s. permanent residency, I want to have a vacation in Hongkong, should I apply for visa? I still have my Philippine passport, is it ok to travel with my philippine passport?
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Feb. 15, 2020 17:19

Filipinos are visa-exempt for 14 days and your US GC will not matter to immigration.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)