Home / Embassy / Visa /

Apply for Hong Kong Visa

Hong Kong grants a visa-free stay period ranging from 7 to 180 days for short-term tourists and businessmen from most countries. Foreigners who do not qualify for the Hong Kong Visa Waiver Concession need to apply for a visa before they go there.

Where to Submit the Application

Generally speaking, they can apply through the overseas Chinese embassy or consulate or directly submit the application documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for approval. However, for Nepali citizens, if it's the first time they are applying for a HK visa, they must apply via the embassy or consulate. In addition, foreigners living in Mainland China can apply at the Immigration Division of the HKSAR Office in Beijing. Foreign residents in Macau can also apply at the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China.

 Address of HK Immigration Department:
Receipt and Dispatch Unit, Immigration Department,
2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2824 6111
Fax: (852) 2877 7711
Email: enquiry@immd.gov.hk
Website: www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/index.html

 Address of the Beijing Office:
No. 71, Di'anmen Xidajie, Xicheng District
Beijing 100009
Tel: (8610) 6657 2880

 Address of the Commissioner Office of PRC Foreign Affairs Ministry in Macau:
No. 992, Avenida do Dr. Rodrigo Rodrigues, Macau
Tel: (853) 7915116

Sponsor in Hong Kong

While it is not mandatory, if you have a sponsor it can help your application. A sponsor must be either a Hong Kong company or a resident at least 18 years old and acquainted with the applicant. Name the sponsor on the application and have the sponsor complete a sponsor form. Then the sponsor can go to the Immigration Department to submit your application.

Required Documents

 Documents to be submitted by the applicant
1. A duly completed Visa Application Form;
2. A recent photograph of the applicant affixed on the application form;
3. A photocopy of the applicant’s travel document;
4. A photocopy of the proof of financial status (e.g. bank statement, savings accounts passbooks, tax payment receipts, employment certificate, etc.);
5. Transportation arrangement copy (e.g. flight itinerary);
6. Proof of purpose of visit, such as:
• Leisure – Package Tour receipt, itinerary, etc.;
• Family visit – Photocopy of proof of relationship with the local sponsor in HK;
• Transit – Photocopy of the proposed visit in the next destination after visiting HK, itinerary, etc.;
• Business – An invitation letter issued by a local company or by the applicant’s employing company to prove his stay in HK;
• Study – Admission notice, sponsor letter, etc.;
• Employment – Labor contract, medical report, education background and work experience proof, etc.;
• Residence on dependant basis – HK identity card of family, kinship certificate, etc..

 Documents to be submitted by the sponsor (if any)
1. If the sponsor is a company
1) A sponsor application form
2) A photocopy of Business Registration Certificate

2. If the sponsor is an individual
1) A sponsor application form
2) A photocopy of the sponsor’s HK ID card
3) A photocopy of the sponsor’s travel document (for non-permanent resident of HK only)

Visa Fees

Apply From Normal Visa Transit Visa
HK Immigration Department HKD 190 HKD 100
Overseas Chinese Embassy/Consulate USD 30 (if the application is transferred to HK Immigration Department, there is an additional charge of USD 20 as communication fee)
Beijing Office CNY 158 CNY 83
Commissioner Office of PRC Foreign Affairs Ministry in Macau MOP 240 (if the application is transferred to HK side, there is an additional charge of MOP 150 as communication fee)

Processing Time

Allow four to six weeks for processing an application sent to HK Immigration Department. There is no express service available. If an application is directly handled by an overseas Chinese embassy/consulate, or the Beijing Office of HKSAR, or the Commissioner Office in Macau, it normally takes four working days to process the visa. In addition, rush service (second-day pickup) and express service (third-day pickup) are available. Of course, applicants must pay extra fees if they want to expedite the process.

 Note: Processing time starts from the day all necessary documents are submitted.

- Last updated on Dec. 31, 2022 -
Questions & Answers on Hong Kong Visa Application
Asked by Hassnain | Mar. 10, 2023 17:09Reply
Can we apply visa from Hangzhou
I want to ask, is there any office to apply for visa and submit documents in Hangzhou
Answers (1)
Answered by Olivia | Mar. 12, 2023 19:57

You mean the HK visa? You can go to Hangzhou PSB Entry and Exit Administration Office to apply for it. Good luck~
Asked by Dan from USA | Jul. 12, 2021 01:15Reply
Can a US resident get a Visa to stay in Hong Kong for semi-retirement
Can a us resident get a Visa to semi retire in Hong Kong. I still invest in real estate and stocks.
Answers (1)
Answered by Mandy | Jul. 19, 2021 00:53

Dan, I'm afraid not.
Asked by Cherub Miracle Natt from LIBERIA | Jan. 13, 2021 17:57Reply
Hello.I am Currently In China,Guangzhou to get My Hong Kong Visa.
Please, what’s the Location of Hong Kong Consulate Office/Embasy in Guangzhou, China and how can where can I get the Hong Kong Application Form?
Answers (1)
Answered by Maria | Jan. 24, 2021 21:57

Dear, you can get the Hong Kong visa application form on the official website of the HK immigration department. There is no Hong Kong consular office in Guangzhou, but there is one in Beijing. The location is No. 71, Di'anmen Xidajie, Xicheng District.
Asked by Adnan from PAKISTAN | Sep. 21, 2020 06:29Reply
Hi i am living in shandong province jinan
I want go to dubai but the flight its not enough from china to dubai i can go to hong kong after i go to dubai i need transit visa what is the process to apply and can i apply in jinan shandong province thank u
Answers (1)
Answered by Eva | Sep. 24, 2020 00:11

You can apply in Jinan. The way is to send your documents to the HK Immigration Department by mail.
Asked by Joy | Sep. 08, 2020 18:50Reply
Hi. I am a foreigner in mainland China, and i need a transit visa through Hong Kong.
However, my Chinese visa will expire in less than two weeks. I need a transit visa to Hong Kong, to enable me take another flight from Hong Kong to my country because i could not get a direct flight from mainland China to my country. Will I be able to get the transit visa since my Chinese visa is only valid for less than 2 weeks?
Answers (1)
Answered by Cindy | Sep. 13, 2020 23:03

Joy, you can try to apply for that at the HK office in Beijing. If you can get it, it will be fine. If not, you will have to apply from the HK Immigration Department, but I'm afraid time is not enough for you.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)