Home / Embassy / Visa /

China Visa Application Requirements

General Requirements: Passport, Visa Application Form & Photo

1. Original passport with at least two blank visa pages and at least 6 months of remaining validity, and a photocopy of the passport’s data page and photo page if it is separate.

2. One completed China Visa Application Form attached with a recently-taken passport photo (48mm x 33mm, bare-head, full face, and against a light background). Click to fill in the visa application form

If applying in a third country, you should also submit a proof of legal stay or residence permit, namely the original and photocopy of your valid visa, or certificates of stay, residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal staying provided by the relevant authorities of the third country.

Supporting Documents for Major Visa Types

What documents are needed for China visa application? Depending on the visa type you are applying for, additional documentation must be submitted.

China Tourist Visa Requirements
China Tourist Visa Requirements
 Round-trip ticket booking record and proof of a hotel reservation, or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China with following information:
a. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)
b. Information on the planned visit (dates of arrival and departure, places of visit, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures, etc.)
c. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

See Sample of the Invitation Letter for China Visa.
 Documents on the commercial activity issued by a trade partner in China, trade fair invitation or other invitation letters issued by relevant entity or individual. The invitation letter should contain the same information as described above for tourist visa.
 An invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China, with details as described above for tourist visa.
 Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter issued by a school or other entities in PRC.

For X1 visa with an intended stay of more than 6 months, applicants should also provide:
Original and photocopy of “Visa Application for Study in China” (Form JW201 or Form JW202).
 One of the following work permits is required:
1. Foreigners Employment Permit issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of the PRC.
2. Registration Certificate of Resident Representative Offices of enterprises of foreign countries (regions) issued by Chinese authorities of industrial and commercial administration.
3. Approval document for commercial performances issued by the Chinese government authorities for cultural affairs.
4. Invitation Letter to Foreigners for Offshore Petroleum Operations issued by National Offshore Oil Corporation.
 1. An invitation letter from a foreigner who stays on a work Z or student X visa in China
2. A photocopy of the inviting individual’s passport and residence permit
3. Proof of kinship such as marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship (original and copy)

For those who visit for private affairs other than family reunion, documentation identifying the nature of the private affair should be provided as required by the consular officer.
 1. Invitation letter issued by a Chinese citizen or foreign citizen with a Chinese permanent residence permit.
2. Photocopy of Chinese ID or foreign passport and permanent residence permit
3. For Q1 visa only -  a proof of kinship such as marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship (original and copy)
 An onward air, train or ship ticket with confirmed date and seat to the destination country or region is required.

Special Reminders for China Visa Application

1. Generally, the invitation letter in the form of fax, photocopy or computer printout is acceptable, but the consular officer may require the original of the invitation letter when necessary.
2. The consular officer may require other proof documents or supplementary materials or an interview or verification of the signature on application documents upon notification by the Embassy/Consulate-General if necessary.

Further Reading:
How to Apply for a China Visa
How to Apply a China Visa in Hong Kong
8 Tips for Filling Out Chinese Visa Application Form

- Last updated on Mar. 30, 2023 by Brenda Lian -
Questions & Answers on China Visa Application Requirements
Asked by Gloria Brown from CANADA | Mar. 23, 2023 15:28Reply
My husband and I want to visit china for 2 months as tourists.
what visa should we apply for and what documents do we need? or invitations
Answers (1)
Answered by Bruce | Mar. 23, 2023 18:24

You need to apply for tourist visas. But they usually only allow the holders to stay in China for up to 30 days. If you want to stay here for 2 months, extend it at local entry and exit administration office before it expires.

The requirements for a tourist visa include your passport; application form which should be filled in online, printed out and signed; flight ticket and hotel bookings or invitation letter. Before sumitting the requirements to the local China visa office, you need to make a reservation with them.
Asked by Michael from USA | Feb. 13, 2023 14:01Reply
I am going for business trip and getting M-visa for myself. What visa can I use for my 14yo kids?
I plan to visit trade shows and factories we work with in China. For that, I'm applying for M-visa (business).
I want to take my 14-year-old kids with me. What kind of visa is applicable to them?

Can I apply for M-visa as well? or can I use for F-visa? or something else?
Thank you!
Answers (1)
Answered by Gina | Feb. 15, 2023 17:34

The M-visa is good for you. As for your kids, tourist visas are fine, but they are not available currently. In the case, you may try to apply for Private Visit S Visas for them, but it's not guaranteed you will succeed.
Asked by Kike from CANADA | Jan. 22, 2023 12:55Reply
Busniess Visa Application
I am planning to come to China to shop around for a good supplier of hair product that i sell, I have a supplier who i dont want to ask for invitation because I am looking for another factory.

How do I meet up with Visa requirement since I dont have invitation from any business
Answers (1)
Answered by Lisa | Jan. 27, 2023 19:42

Maybe you can get in touch with another supplier and ask for an invitation letter from them.
Asked by emma mcroberts from PHILIPPINES | Jun. 30, 2021 17:51Reply
do kids need vaccine for for traveling and the visa center is open to apply for visa
Answers (1)
Answered by Darcy | Jul. 05, 2021 00:07

Emma, you need to contact the embassy to inquire about this directly.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)