Home / Embassy / Visa /

China F Visa - Noncommercial Visit Visa to China

What is the F visa for China?

China F visa, namely the noncommercial visit visa, is usually issued to foreigners who are invited to conduct a lecture, an investigation, scientific and cultural exchanges, study tours and other non-business activities in China. Normally the duration of stay of China F visa is 30 days, which means you can stay for up to 30 days from the date of entry. In case that you need a longer duration, claim it clearly in your application form and the officer may give the duration of stay according to your need.

Before Chinese business visa (M visa) was introduced in 2013, F visa was also used for commercial purposes. Now, it doesn’t suit business activities any longer.

China F Visa Requirements & Documents

1. Applicant's passport with blank pages and at least 6 months validity left before expiration.
2. One accurately and truthfully completed Application Form (download China F Visa Application Form).
3. One recent passport-size color photo stuck on the application form.
4. One of the following documents: China F visa Invitation Letter, Confirmation Letter of Invitation (with the invitation letter attached) or conference notice issued by relevant entity, individual or duly authorized Chinese institute.

The invitation letter should include the following information:
a. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)
b. Information on the planned visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) of visit, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)
c. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative of the entity or the inviting individual)

5. For China F visa multiple entry, copies of previous Chinese visas (on one A4 paper) are required.

Note: Under some circumstances, the applicants may be required to submit a copy of Chinese hotel reservation, return air ticket booking and financial proof.

How to Apply for China F Visa

 Step 1: Prepare all the documents mentioned above.
 Step 2: Submit your application to the Chinese embassy or consulate which is in charge of your residence area. In countries where there are Chinese Visa Application Centers (CVASC), you need to submit application there. Generally Chinese embassies and consulates don’t accept postal application while some CVASCs accept it. Online application is not available.
 Step 3: Collect your passport on the date marked on the pick-up form and pay the fee.

Processing Time

In most cases, it takes 4 working days. Express service and rush service are also provided in most countries. Extra US$ 30 should be paid for the same-day collection; and additional US$20 for the second or third day collection.

China Non-business Visit Visa Fees

The fees vary according to your nationality and number of entries. Generally speaking, the more the entries, the higher the cost. For some countries such as Pakistan, Bulgaria, and Slovakia, it is free.

Chinese F Visa Types US Citizens Canadian Citizens UK Citizens Australian Citizens
Single Entry USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 109.5
Double Entries USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 139.5
Multi Entries for 6 Months USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 169.5
Multi Entries for 12 Months or Longer USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 229.5

Click China Visa Fees to know more details.

Can I Take China Internship with F Visa?

It is not permitted to work as an employee of a Chinese business in China while on an F visa, while there are a few exceptions such as working for a company funded from overseas or working as a volunteer. For internship in China, X, M, or Z visa work according to your individual case.

Further Reading:

8 Tips for Filling Out Chinese Visa Application Form

- Last modified on Apr. 23, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China F Visa
Asked by Pim Vingerhoets from NETHERLANDS | Apr. 23, 2019 02:34Reply
Volunteering for a Chinese company
I am planning to volunteer in China. Actually it will be more of a cultural/language exchange between me and the company. I am going to teach them English, they are going to teach me Chinese. However, can you just volunteer at any Chinese company? Or does the company needs to fullfil particular requirements as well? I will not get paid for it, so it falls under volunteering right?

I am planning to apply for a Multi entries for 12 months or longer. Do you think this would be possible?
Thank you in advance!
Answers (1)
Answered by Sandy from USA | Apr. 23, 2019 23:21

Pim, if you are not paid, it should be a volunteering job. You can ask the company to issue you an invitation letter to help you to get a multiple entry F or M visa.
Asked by Li from SINGAPORE | Apr. 20, 2019 07:55Reply
Internship with stipend
Does your final statement on F visa mean that it is impossible to get an F visa for internship (abt 6 months)? For a 6-month internship is X1/X2 the only option? The internship is research-based on artificial intelligence.
Answers (1)
Answered by Black from USA | Apr. 22, 2019 20:17

Li, it's possible to get an F visa for internship, under the condition that you will work fora company funded from overseas, or you will work as a volunteer, ie., you take an unpaid job.
Asked by Kathy from UNITED KINGDOM | Apr. 17, 2019 03:36Reply
Is F visa suitable for conducting dissertation research in China?
Hi! Doing fieldwork for my MSc dissertation in collab with a Chinese uni for 6 weeks. Is a F my best option? Bearing in mind, I will be doing sightseeing/touristy things whilst I'm out there.

Also, for the invitation letter from the university authority - does it need to be an original posted or a copy emailed over?
Answers (1)
Answered by Evan | Apr. 17, 2019 20:11

Hi, you can apply a F type for it. If the original invitation is not required, you can use the emailed one.
Asked by Peter from UNITED KINGDOM | Apr. 16, 2019 18:12Reply
Is there an age restriction for a visiting lecturer on an F visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by Allan | Apr. 17, 2019 19:54

No, there is no age limit.
Asked by Maria from INDIA | Apr. 12, 2019 03:08Reply
BUSINESS VISA TO CHINA. In the invitation letter do you require seal of the company please.
Answers (2)
Answered by Gonza from GERMANY | Apr. 14, 2019 19:34

Hi, personally I think the seal of the company is required. You can confirm it with the Chinese embassy.
Answered by DASS SANCTA MARIA from INDIA | Apr. 14, 2019 23:29

Yes I need signature on the invitation letter for F Visa. Kindly provide.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)