China Transit Visa (G)
Chinese transit visa, aka the G visa, is issued to those who intend to transit through mainland China for a short time to a destination country. The validity is usually three months with the allowed maximum duration of each stay ranging from 7 to 10 days. The fee appears to be the same as for a tourist L visa, so check whether you might as well get a tourist visa instead for longer stay duration.
Do I need a transit visa? - See China's Visa-Free Transit Scheme
Foreigners do not need the transit visa for China if covered by the following visa-free transit policy and they are allowed to leave the transit port to take some sightseeing tours.
For foreigners who have booked seats on international airlines, ships or trains transiting through China to a third country, if the stay is less than 24 hours, they can enjoy the 24-hour visa-free transit. In case they want to leave the specified transit zone, they can ask for a temporary stay permit at the immigration counter. The 24-hour direct transit facility benefits almost all countries and is available in most China ports.
Passport holders of 53 countries and regions can be granted a visa-free stay of up to 72 hours while transiting via Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shenyang, Dalian, Harbin, Xi'an, Guilin, Kunming, Hangzhou, Wuhan, Tianjin, Qingdao, Nanjing, Changsha, and Xiamen.
Passengers of the same 53 countries can stay for up to 144 hours when transiting in Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, and Liaoning.
For passengers don't meet any of the above requirements, here provides necessary information for Chinese transit G visa application.
China Transit Visa Requirements & Documents
1. A passport valid for at least six months and having at least one blank page and a copy of the passport's info page.
2. One accurately and truthfully completed China Visa Application Form.
3. One color passport standard photo (33 x 48mm) attached on the application form.
4. A valid visa or residence permit to the destination country if required.
5. An air / train / ship ticket to the destination country with confirmed departure date and seat.
How to Apply for China Transit Visa
1. You can personally submit the application to the consular office of the Chinese Embassies, Consulates, China Visa Application Centers (CVASC), and other Chinese diplomatic missions which hold consular jurisdiction over your residence.
2. Mostly, an appointment is needed before lodging the submission.
3. Mailed applications are not accepted by most overseas Chinese embassies, consulates and CVASCs.
1. The regular processing time is 4 working days.
2. Express Service: 2-3 working days processing; extra US$ 20 will be charged.
3. Rush Service: 1 working day processing; extra US$ 30 will be charged.
Chinese Transit Visa Cost
The fees are subject to your nationality and the number of entries. Generally speaking, only single-entry and double-entry transit visa are issued. Please see the below fee table about applying for a transit visa for reference.
|China Transit Visa Types||US Citizens||Canadian Citizens||UK Citizens||Australian Citizens|
|Single Entry||USD 140||CAD 142||GBP 151||AUD 109.5|
|Double Entries||USD 140||CAD 142||GBP 151||AUD 139.5|
* For more details, please click China Visa Fees.
Recommended Layover Tours
8 Tips for Filling Out Chinese Visa Application Form
I plan to cross China, from Mongolia to Vietnam. I'm supposed to take the train Ulanbaatar - Beijing and then Beijing - Hanoï.
Transit visa is supposed to work for a stay from 7 to 10 days. How do we know if it will be granted for 7 or 10 days?
It is written that you have to provide your leaving ticket for the visa appliance, is it mandatory ? Not very confortable to buy a ticket weeks before when you have no flexibility in the length of stay... Do you think a plane ticket bought with a service like onewayfly could work for the appliance ?
Many thanks for your answers!
Ps: I know the trains I want to take are not available right now, not my concern by now, there are alternatives :)
If you travel by train from Ulanbaatar to Beijing Railway Station, you will not be eligible for it. the allowed entry ports are capital airport, daxing airport and Beijing west railway station.
The ticket leaving Beijing is mandatory in the case.
To make a flexible trip, you can just apply for a regular visa in advance. China has resumed issuing all kinds of visas.
thank you for your help .
French passport - Resident US.
The booked ticket is not a must; but they do ask for it sometimes.
If applying for a visa your visa center has opened now. Thank you.