Home / Embassy / Visa /

China Talent Visa (R)

Chinese talent visa, namely the R Visa is issued to foreign high-level personnel and much-needed highly talented people who need to stay and work in China. Usually they can get a multiple-entry talent visa with the validity of five or ten years, and their spouse and minor children can obtain a relative visa, which refers to the S2 type in most cases, with the same validity. The duration of each stay can be as long as 180 days.

The measure complements the existing Work Z Visa that allows foreigners to work in China if they have a work permit or employment certificate issued by the competent Chinese authorities. The Chinese government has shown its sincerity towards global talents with this policy and created a friendly environment for them to work in China.

Who Count as High Level Talents?

Indubitably, eligible applicants for the R visa must have the highly-skilled and specialized qualities that are urgently needed due to a short supply among Chinese. Here we list major types of talents qualifying for the China talent visa but not all of them.

1. Those who have been selected to join China’s talents introduction programs accredited by talents management authorities, such as the Program for the Introduction of Renowned Overseas Professors, 1,000 Talents Plan, 100 Talents Plan, and CAS Hundred Talents Project.

2. Those who have accomplished achievements in professional fields recognized internationally, including Nobel Prize winners, scholars from Academy of Science or Academy of Engineering in foreign countries, professors and vice professors taking a position in the world’s top 200 universities, etc.

3. Foreigners who are capable of taking market-oriented positions in enterprises encouraged by the government, including senior management staff in China’s state-owned enterprises, Fortune Global 500 Enterprises, etc.

China Talent Visa Requirements & Documents

1. Passport

- Your original passport valid for at least 6 months and a copy of its information page.

2. Application Form

- One accurately and truthfully completed China Talent Visa Application Form signed by the applicant. If the form is filled out by entrusted travel/visa agent, both the applicant's signature and the stamp of the agent are required.

3. Recent Photo

- One recently-taken colored photo. The size of the photo should be 48mm x 33mm, with head width 21mm - 24mm and head length 28mm - 33mm, in white, light grey or light blue background.

4. The Confirmation Letter for High Level Foreign Talents

- to be obtained from China’s provincial level Bureau of Foreign Experts Affairs. (Download Sample of the Confirmation Letter for High Level Foreign Talents)

5. Other documents as required by the Chinese embassy or consulate.


How to Apply for China R Visa

First, applicants need to ask the Chinese organization inviting them to apply online for the Confirmation Letter for High Level Foreign Talents, which may take five working days for processing.

Then prepare other documents mentioned above and submit all these documents to the Chinese embassy, consulate or Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) wherever available either in person or by someone else or entrusted travel agent. Appointment is not required. Meanwhile, mail applications are not acceptable by most embassies and consulates. In cases where application by post at CVASC is available, extra service fee might be charged.

Processing Time

The normal processing takes about 4 working days and can be shortened to two working days only upon the request of the applicant. The same applies to the applicant’s spouse and minor children.

Chinese R Visa Fees

The talents and their accompanying spouses and minor children can get the visa for free. Neither do they need to pay for the express service fee. However, if applying through the CVASC, they may need to pay some money to the CVASC.

Things to Know after Entering China

Talents working in China with the R visa should apply for a Foreigners Work Permit with the help of their working organization at the local Foreigners Working Management Bureau or its entrusted agencies after entering. Their passports, R visa, the contract of employment, and a physical examination record will be required to submit.

As for the extension, renewal, and replacement of the Foreigners Work Permit, the contract of employment, or certificate of employment issued by the Chinese organization where they work in, a physical examination record, the original R visa and endorsement pages, and passport information page copies are required.

Further Reading:

8 Tips for Filling Out Chinese Visa Application Form

- Last modified on Oct. 17, 2018 -
Questions & Answers on China Talent Visa
Asked by Rex Moore from HONG KONG | Oct. 16, 2018 20:16Reply
Can you use the R visa for business meeting purpose?
I live in Hong Kong and I would like to apply for the R visa. Does R require an employer in the mainland? I have checked the requirement and I believe I scored 85 or over marks for one of the criteria of the Type A skilled foreign worker type. I have proof of income from Hong Kong too or do I really need to have an employer in China to begin with?
Answers (1)
Answered by Bryson from FRANCE | Oct. 17, 2018 18:10

The R type is issued to those who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China. If you can get it, you could use it for business meeting purpose, I suppose.
Asked by Pooya from CHINA | Oct. 10, 2018 06:49Reply
What will happen to R visa after getting the residence permit?
Hi. I am post doctoral in China with R visa. Now i need to apply for work permit and residenc permit in order to do my postdoc. My question is how long would be my residence permit and if my R won't be valid anymore after receiving my residence permit?
Answers (4)
Answered by May from FRANCE | Oct. 10, 2018 19:46

Hi, if your residence permit is still valid, you don't need to worry about the visa.
Answered by Pooya from CHINA | Oct. 11, 2018 00:24

I just applied for residence permit last week and it would be valid for two years. My question is after I receive my residence permit does my 10 years R still valid or it would be canclled?
Answered by Swan | Oct. 11, 2018 02:59

Do you have another valid Chinese visa in your passport? If not, your 10 years R type would not be cancelled after you get the residence permit.
Answered by Pooya from CHINA | Oct. 11, 2018 20:14

No. My visa is a 10 years R type. Thanks for your reply.
Asked by Rosa from USA | Aug. 16, 2018 08:25Reply
Can I see a sample of an R Visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by Easter from UK | Aug. 17, 2018 02:24

Chinese R type has the same appearance like other type visas. The difference is that R type says R on the CATEGORY.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)
media recommendationfeatured on media