Home / Embassy / Visa /

China Family Reunion Visa (Q)

Chinese Family Reunion Visa, Q visa for short, is issued to relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners residing in China with a permanent residence permit. Depending upon the duration of stay and applicants' eligibility, the Q visa is further divided into two subclasses: Q1 and Q2. Q1 is issued for a stay longer than 180 days, while Q2 is for a short-term visit less than 180 days.

Differences between Q1 Visa and Q2 Visa

Type Application Conditions
Q1 visa 1. Intended Duration of Stay > 180 days
2. Applicants restrictions:
Family members of Chinese citizens or foreigners with Chinese permanent residence, such as spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law; or those who are going to China for the purpose of foster care
Q2 visa 1. Intended Duration of Stay ≤ 180 days
2. Applicants restrictions:
Relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners with Chinese permanent residence, including family members mentioned above

Q1 visa is generally issued allowing a single entry, and the holders must apply for a Temporary Residence Permit within 30 days after entry. The residence permit can be granted for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years, and the holders can exit and reenter freely during the validity of the residence permit.

Q2 is flexible from 30 to 180 days, allowing single, double, or multiple entries, and the holders can stay in China for the duration as indicated on visa.

China Q Visa Requirements & Documents

1. Passport

- Original passport valid for more than 6 months and a copy of the information page. US citizens can apply for a 10 years China Q2 visa if their passport is valid for one year or longer.

2. Application Form + Recent Photo

- China Q Visa Application Form with a recent color passport-sized photo affixed to it.

3. Invitation Letter

- An invitation from the family member residing in China who is either a Chinese citizen or a foreigner with a Chinese permanent residence permit.

The invitation letter should contain:
a. Information regarding the applicant, including full name, gender, date of birth, etc.
b. Information about the visit, like purpose of visit, intended arrival date, place(s) of intended residence, intended duration of residence, arrival and departure dates, relation of the applicant to the inviting entity or individual, and financial source for expenditures.
c. Information regarding the inviting individual, including name, contact number, address, official stamp, signature of the inviting individual, etc.

See sample of the invitation letter.

4. Photocopy of Chinese ID or Foreign Passport and Permanent Residence Permit of the Inviter

5. Proof of Family Relationship - For Q1 Visa Application Only

- Original and copy of kinship proof such as Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate.

How to Apply for China Q Visa

Applicants should go to the Chinese embassy, consulate or Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) wherever available for an application either in person or by someone else or trusted agent. Most Chinese embassies and consulates do not accept applications by mail. CVASC in some countries provide service for applications by post, but of course an extra service fee will be charged. Besides, please check the website of above diplomatic missions in advance to see if an appointment is required.

Processing Time

Normal processing takes about 4 working days. The applicant should apply one month prior to the intended travel. In case Express/Urgent Processing is approved by the Chinese embassy or the consulate-generals, the applicant will be required to pay an additional fee.

China Q Visa Fees

The fee for the China family reunion visa is the same as the fee for other types of Chinese visa. Generally, fees vary according to nationalities, and number of entries. But for some countries, like US, Canada, and Australia, the fee is fixed regardless of visa types and number of entries.

China Q Visa Types US Citizens Canadian Citizens UK Citizens Australian Citizens
Single Entry USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 109.5
Double Entries USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 139.5
Multi Entries for 6 Months USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 169.5
Multi Entries for 12 Months or Longer USD 140 CAD 142 GBP 151 AUD 229.5

*The table is for reference only. For more details, please click China Visa Fees.

Further Reading:

8 Tips for Filling Out Chinese Visa Application Form

- Last modified on Nov. 06, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Family Reunion Visa
Asked by Viny Robinson from CHINA | Dec. 05, 2019 05:22Reply
My son's birth certificate has been issued by a UK government department
I am currently living in China. I have been working here since 2010 but my contract will end at end of January 2020. My residency permit ends then also. My son has recently married a Chinese lady. I would like to stay on in China. I'm told that I can get a relationship visa, Q1 or Q2. To avail of this type of visa I have to prove that my son really is my son. I have his birth certificate here in China with me. It was issued by the General Registry Office, an official department of the UK government meaning, I believe that it needs no further notarisation. Will this document fulfil the requirement for my visa or will it need to be legalised also? Please help...
Asked by Mwichie Namusamba from CHINA | Dec. 03, 2019 00:44Reply
Can I invite my sister to visit me in China
hi. I am a student with a year to graduate. I wish for my sister to visit me for 4 months. Which Visa type can she apply for?
Answers (1)
Answered by Karla from FRANCE | Dec. 03, 2019 19:53

She can apply for an S2 visa.
Asked by Charlotte from FRANCE | Dec. 02, 2019 22:01Reply
Visa for former chinese citizen descents

I'm a French national who lives in Singapore and I went today to the Visa Center to apply for a Q2 visa.
[I actually wanted to apply for the 5-year multi entries as I have Chinese origins, but they said they do not provide for such visa here]
I brought along my passport, work pass, visa form, letter of invite + ID of my grandmother, family register translated [to prove that my grandmother actually is my grandmother].

They asked me if i have had previous Chinese visa which may not be in my current passport, I answered positively, which they wanted to get a proof for. I explained that when we (french nationals) apply for passport renewal, we need to give back the previous one in order to apply for the one.
Then, since I would never be able to provide any former visas, the person at the counter replied that they would then need a proof that either by the time I was born, both my parents were already french, and if not, that both my parents already surrendered their Chinese nationality since then.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Answers (1)
Answered by Jerry from USA | Dec. 04, 2019 18:28

There is always the requirement that a previous Chinese passport and visa is required for applicants with Chinese origin. If you can't provide such a passport, you need to prove that you are a French-born citizen. Thus, you need to prove that your parent were already French by the time you was born.
Asked by Curtis from CANADA | Nov. 29, 2019 13:00Reply
Q1 visa address requirements
I have a Q2 visa now but my wife and I want to stay longer than 180 days, requiring Q1. My wife is Chinese citizen and her parents are usually the inviter but they live in a different region of China than where my wife and I want to stay.

Can my parents-in-law still be the inviter if they live in the north and we want to stay in the south? Or will my wife need to find an address of residence in the south for us and then she becomes the inviter? Thanks!
Answers (1)
Answered by Susie from UNITED KINGDOM | Dec. 02, 2019 00:29

Your wife needs to find an address of residence in the south and become the inviter.
Asked by Tommy from UNITED STATES | Nov. 13, 2019 10:27Reply
Q2 Visa
If my wife lives in both U.S and china can she invite me to china?
Answers (1)
Answered by Karen from CANADA | Nov. 14, 2019 18:17

Tommy, if she has a fixed residence in China, she can invite you to China.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)