China Visa on Arrival
Foreigners normally need to obtain a visa for a trip to China before departure, while in certain cases they are likely to get a China visa on arrival at entry ports. The validity counts from the day following your entry and only one entry is allowed. Once you exit from China, the VOA expires.
Below are two cases where you can apply for China visa on arrival:
Visa on Arrival at Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Xiamen, and Hainan for Tourists
|Visa on Arrival||Valid for||Eligible Ports||Areas Allowed to Stay|
|In Shenzhen||5 days||Luohu (Lo Wu), Huanggang, Shekou and Fuyong ports, Shenzhen Airport||Shenzhen|
|In Zhuhai||3 days||Gongbei, Hengqin and Jiuzhou ports||Zhuhai|
|In Xiamen||3 days||Xiamen Airport||Xiamen|
|In Hainan||30 days||Haikou Airport, Sanya Airport, cruise ports in Haikou and Sanya||Mainland China|
In comparison with others, Hainan enjoys more privileges for issuing a VOA besides the Hainan 30-Day Visa-Free Access. The landing visa you get in Hainan can last as long as 30 days. You can use it to visit other cities in mainland China and exit from all ports open to foreigners. In addition, the VOA is also available for international cruise ship travelers who disembark in Haikou or Sanya.
Who is eligible?
Passport holders of most countries can easily get a VOA, such as the US, France, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland and Spain.
Some may apply for it by showing passports with proof that they have been issued a Chinese visa before by embassies and consulates, such as Indonesians and Filipinos.
Countries not eligible include Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Cameroon, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Sudan, Turkey, Uganda, and Yemen.
How to apply?
When you get to the VOA office at the border, just complete the application form, take a photo and pay the fee. The visa will be issued within 5 to 10 minutes. You may need to wait longer if the room is busy.
In Shenzhen, Zhuhai, and Xiamen, what you need for the application is just a valid passport, while if you apply for the Hainan visa on arrival, return ticket and hotel bookings are required as well.
What's the cost for China visa on arrival?
It costs CNY 168 for applicants of most countries, but UK nationals have to pay CNY 304 based on a reciprocal basis. Only CNY is accepted for payment and HK dollars are not accep.
1. There are nearly 10 ports linking Shenzhen with Hong Kong, while tourists can only get the Shenzhen VOA from Luohu, Huanggang, Fuyong, Shekou, and the airport. Please be cautious when travelling to Shenzhen from Hong Kong to find the right port.
2. Upon arriving at the Gongbei immigration building in Zhuhai, you can find the office by passing all the duty free shops; it is behind a green door on the right hand side of the immigration building. Currency can be changed at the China Tourist Services Office back downstairs in the immigration hall.
Visa on Arrival for Travelers in Emergencies
Aliens may, under circumstances where they must necessarily rush to China but have no time for an application, apply for a visa on arrival at entry ports as authorized by the Ministry of Public Security.
This always requires an invitation from an accredited Chinese organization which explains the emergency, mostly related to business purposes that from the Chinese perspective it is important that you be admitted without delay, or that you are in a life-and-death situation.
Warning: Not all applicants are guaranteed to obtain a landing visa, thus it's advised to get a visa in advance if time permits. See details on how to apply for a China visa.
1. I understand that your flight has Singapore either as a destination or an origin, but nothing else in between, with just not so clear mentioning of Beijing
2. Again, according to my assumptions, you would like to arrive in Beijing, but you should tell for how long period
3. Maybe you have obtained your Chinese visas in the meantime
I have similar situation...
Nobody wants to confirm I can obtain landing Visa on the Airport :(
I will contact the agency.
I would like to apply for visa on arrival in Haikou.
Can I do that?
I tried to call Exit&entry Bureau in Haikou, but nobody speak English there :(