Home / Embassy / Visa /

China Visa on Arrival

 China has resumed issuing visas on arrival at designated ports in Shenzhen, Hainan, Xiamen and Zhuhai to eligible visitors since March 15, 2023, which has been stopped for 3 years because of covid-19.

Foreigners normally need to obtain a visa for a trip to China before departure, while in certain cases they are likely to get a China visa on arrival at entry ports. The validity counts from the day following your entry and only one entry is allowed. Once you exit from China, the VOA expires.

Below are two cases where you can apply for China visa on arrival:

Visa on Arrival at Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Xiamen, and Hainan for Tourists

Visa on Arrival Valid for Eligible Ports Areas Allowed to Stay
In Shenzhen 5 days Luohu (Lo Wu), Huanggang, Shekou and Fuyong ports, Shenzhen Airport Shenzhen
In Zhuhai 3 days Gongbei, Hengqin and Jiuzhou ports Zhuhai
In Xiamen 5 days Xiamen Airport Xiamen
In Hainan 30 days Haikou Airport, Sanya Airport, cruise ports in Haikou and Sanya Mainland China

In comparison with others, Hainan enjoys more privileges for issuing a VOA besides the Hainan 30-Day Visa-Free Access. The landing visa you get in Hainan can last as long as 30 days. You can use it to visit other cities in mainland China and exit from all ports open to foreigners. In addition, the VOA is also available for international cruise ship travelers who disembark in Haikou or Sanya.

Who is eligible?

Passport holders of most countries can easily get a VOA, such as the US, France, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland and Spain.

Some may apply for it by showing passports with proof that they have been issued a Chinese visa before by embassies and consulates, such as Indonesians and Filipinos.

Countries not eligible include Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Cameroon, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Sudan, Turkey, Uganda, and Yemen.

How to apply?

When you get to the VOA office at the border, just complete the application form, take a photo and pay the fee. The visa will be issued within 5 to 10 minutes. You may need to wait longer if the room is busy.

In Shenzhen, Zhuhai, and Xiamen, what you need for the application is just a valid passport, while if you apply for the Hainan visa on arrival, return ticket and hotel bookings are required as well.

What's the cost for China visa on arrival?

It costs CNY 168 for applicants of most countries, but UK nationals have to pay CNY 304 based on a reciprocal basis. Only CNY is accepted for payment and HK dollars are not accepted.


1. There are nearly 10 ports linking Shenzhen with Hong Kong, while tourists can only get the Shenzhen VOA from Luohu, Huanggang, Fuyong, Shekou, and the airport. Please be cautious when travelling to Shenzhen from Hong Kong to find the right port.

2. Upon arriving at the Gongbei immigration building in Zhuhai, you can find the office by passing all the duty free shops; it is behind a green door on the right hand side of the immigration building. Currency can be changed at the China Tourist Services Office back downstairs in the immigration hall.

Visa on Arrival for Travelers in Emergencies

Aliens may, under circumstances where they must necessarily rush to China but have no time for an application, apply for a visa on arrival at entry ports as authorized by the Ministry of Public Security.

This always requires an invitation from an accredited Chinese organization which explains the emergency, mostly related to business purposes that from the Chinese perspective it is important that you be admitted without delay, or that you are in a life-and-death situation.

 Warning: Not all applicants are guaranteed to obtain a landing visa, thus it's advised to get a visa in advance if time permits. See details on how to apply for a China visa.

- Last updated on Mar. 14, 2023 by Brenda Lian -
Questions & Answers on China Visa on Arrival
Asked by Newman from SINGAPORE | Mar. 30, 2023 05:48Reply
Travel from Macau to Gongbei
Hi, I am from Singapore, holding a Singapore Passport.
Can I fly from Singapore to Macau and thereafter, from Macau travel to Zhuhai via the Gongbei Port (拱北口岸).
Is the 15 days visa free for Singaporean resume? Thanks in advance.
Asked by Ryan from SINGAPORE | Mar. 28, 2023 21:00Reply
Singapore passport
Hi, I am holding a Singapore passport. Am I eligible for visa free entry into China from Hong Kong?
Answers (1)
Answered by Fiona | Mar. 29, 2023 18:38

Currently no. The policy has been suspended after the covid and has not been lifted yet.
Asked by Loren Balazd from UNITED STATES | Mar. 28, 2023 16:44Reply
VOA Xiamen.
If I arrive by plane can I exit by taking CHR to Hong Kong ? Thank you
Answers (1)
Answered by Gary | Mar. 28, 2023 18:26

Yes, it does not matter how you will leave Xiamen.
Asked by Sherly from INDONESIA | Mar. 28, 2023 04:31Reply
VOA in Hainan from Indonesia
I am a Indonesian Passport Holder, I have never been to china before and haven’t apply for visa before. can I enter from Hainan and get 30days to all China mainland Visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by Eva | Mar. 28, 2023 18:24

It's quite risky. If you have an old China visa on your passport, it will be possible.
Asked by Danny from INDONESIA | Mar. 26, 2023 20:35Reply
VOA in Hainan from Indonesia
I am a Indonesian Passport Holder with previous Visa on 2008 has expired. can I enter from Hainan and get 30days to all China mainland Visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by Baron | Mar. 27, 2023 18:44

Yes, it's possible for you to get a VOA in Hainan, which also allows you to travel to mainland of China.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)