Hainan 30-Day Visa-Free Access

Hainan 30-day visa-free access scheme stipulates foreign citizens holding the passport of 59 qualifying countries can have 30 days visa-free entry to Hainan if received by travel agencies. During the stay, they can travel in the whole of Hainan Province without a Chinese visa. This visa-free access will count its 30 days duration from 00:00 the day following the entry date.

Hainan Visa-Free Countries List - 59 Countries

6 American Countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile

2 Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand

25 Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

15 Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania, Belarus, Monaco

11 Asian Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Kazakhstan, the Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar

Eligible Ports for Hainan 30-Day Visa-Free Access

Haikou Meilan International Airport, Sanya Phoenix International Airport and all ship ports are qualified ports for this 30 days visa exemption.

Airports Contact Information

Haikou Meilan International Airport: 0898-65760114
Sanya Phoenix International Airport: 0898-88289390

Areas Allowed to Stay - The Whole Hainan Province

Foreigners eligible for this 30 days visa exemption entry can travel inside Hainan Province. Going to mainland China from Hainan is not allowed if not having an appropriate visa.

Those wishing to visit mainland China, or extend their stay in Hainan, can ask their travel agency to help them apply for a regular Chinese visa from the Exit and Entry Administration of the local Public Security Bureau.

How to Apply for Hainan 30-Day Free Visa Access


 Valid passport/Travel Document valid for at least 3 months from the date of entry
 Tickets for Round-trip International Flight or Cruise Ships
 Hotel Bookings
 Travel Itinerary to Hainan

Registering Yourself with a Local Travel Agency Is a Must

Independent travelers cannot apply for the Hainan 30-day free visa on their own. This needs to be done through a travel agency in China. Visitors can submit the above information to the travel agency at least 48 hours advance of arrival, and then the agency will apply for the visa-free entry on their behalf from the local Exit and Entry Administration of Hainan.

Highlights in Hainan 

World-renowned Tourist Attractions

As a romantic tourist resort in south China with rolling hills and tropical rainforests, sea island of Hainan possesses gorgeous natural seaside sceneries. Especially the seductive Yalong Bay and scenic Tianya Haijiao of Sanya should not be missed. 
Yalong Bay
Yalong Bay
Wuzhizhou Island
Wuzhizhou Island

Boao Forum for Asia

Boao Forum for Asia’s headquarters is located in Boao of Hainan. Annually in March or April, many state leaders come to Hainan together to negotiate for development of the world.

By utilizing this 30 days visa-free access, it’s convenient for you to make a trip or take part in the business or official conference in Hainan.

 Recommended Guided Tour: 5 Days Haikou & Sanya Tour

The 30-day Hainan landing visa is still issued at available ports in Haikou and Sanya, and it permits holders to exit China from other Chinese cities. You can extend the visa on arrival if wishing to stay longer in China.

Differences between Hainan Visa on Arrival & 30-day Free Visa Access

Eligible Nationalities Cost Travel Agency Involved?
Visa on Arrival Most countries but except US and France CNY 168 - 956 depending on  nationality No
30-day Free Visa Access 59 countries Free Yes

 Further Reading: China Visa

- Last modified on Sep. 09, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on Hainan 30-Day Visa-Free Access
Asked by Darius from GERMANY | Oct. 17, 2019 03:51Reply
HAINAN VOA coming from Hong Kong going to Guangzhou
Hi, i am a german citizen and i am not holding a chinese Visa as my application takes 8 working days but i am leaving upcoming Sunday already. I am going to Hong Kong, where i can enter without any visa. From there i would like to fly directly to Hainan (Sanya) for 4 days, and then flying out to Guangzhou, staying there for 4 days and then leaving back to germany by departing from Guangzhou Airport.
For my understanding, entering china mainland is only allowed with a VOA, not with the 30 days free visa.

Is this correct and when you look at my travel plans, do you think i can do that?

Thanks very much in advance for your reply.
Answers (1)
Answered by ZUPAN | Oct. 17, 2019 13:54

Your itinerary would be possible by using Hainan VOA because this VOA allows you to travel from Hainan to a mainland Chinese city, in your case Guangdong and from there directly to some foreign country.

Anyway, you have to know that you will take some risk because you never know whether you will be allowed boarding the plane, in your case in Hong Kong for a flight to Hainan based on your statement that you will obtain a Hainan VOA upon your landing in Sanya. Actual rules say that you are allowed to do that, but that same rules cannot force Hong Kong immigration authorities to allow you boarding the plane.

OK, go for it, but if I were you I would be relying on 30 day visa free access and my itinerary will be the same as yours until Sanya, but after Sanya I would take a flight back to Hong Kong and from there a flight to Guangzhou to be eligible for 144 hour visa free transit. This option will secure you to travel with 100% peace of mind. OK, you know the options and decision will be all yours.

By the way, I would really appreciate your feedback after your, I sincerely hope, successful trip :)
Asked by Queen from PHILIPPINES | Oct. 16, 2019 17:08Reply
hello im from the Philippines, I want to apply for a visa free in hainan for 8 days
i already have a round trip flight ticket on October 20, 2019 to October 27, 2019. But there is a lay over on Guangzhou airport, is that okay? I want to ask if i can still apply today for visa free and is it okay that i call directly to the local travel agency that can speak in English or I need to call first the Haikou airport for local travel agency recommendation?
Answers (1)
Answered by ZUPAN | Oct. 17, 2019 13:45

Queen, you will not be allowed to do that. Unfortunately, your stop in Guangzhou makes you ineligible for any kind of visa free option for Hainan. Unfortunately, once again, your departure time is on Sunday, so I seriously doubt that you will manage to obtain a Chinese visa, rush service, until then. In reality, a Chinese visa obtained in advance is the only option that could cover your itinerary. Sorry.
Asked by Nincent Hsieh from SWEDEN | Oct. 14, 2019 07:09Reply
Ask for visa Free in sanya ,hainan
Hallo,Sweden passport for two weeks to sanya,is a visa free ?
Answers (2)
Answered by ZUPAN | Oct. 14, 2019 10:42

Part one:

You should start a correspondence with one of the local Hainan travel agencies that have an English speaking staff. It is easy to find them, but here are several of them: Hainan Kangtai Travel, Hainan Haoyang International Travel Agent, China Travel International Sanyaco, Hainan Classic Holiday Travel Agent. During the correspondence, you are supposed to do the following steps:

- You are supposed to determine how many days you will spend in Hainan province
- You should also take care of your flight tickets and here one warning... You are not allowed to arrive to Hainan by taking a flight through some other mainland Chinese airport. The best option is Hong Kong, but keep in mind that this flight has to be nonstop and not again through some of mainland Chinese airports. Also, you are not allowed to leave Hainan on a flight that has a stop in mainland China.
- After you have determined the above mentioned, you will write down your short itinerary in English language that will have most of your details that you will do while in Hainan, but very shortly.
- You will contact a relevant agency that supports a correspondence in English language, one of the above mentioned.
- Keep in mind that during your correspondence you will be offered several services and you are supposed to accept one or more of them according to your preferences. The mentioned offers range from an airport transfer to multi day trips.
Answered by ZUPAN | Oct. 14, 2019 10:42

Part two:

As you can see, this procedure will ensure you that you will be allowed to board the plane, to enter Hainan and to enjoy your time there without the need to obtain a visa. This procedure could appear to be somewhat complicated, but in reality it is not because the agency is doing its part very fast and everything is done within 3 or 4 working days and when everything is done, the agency will send you an invitation that will undeniably allow you to enter Hainan visa free.
Asked by L.T from DEUTSCHLAND | Oct. 14, 2019 06:36Reply
30 days free visa, repeatable?
Hello, we are german citizens. Would like to visit Sanya for 30 days. After that we would like to go to Thailand for 2-3 weeks and then go back to Hainan. Is it possible to apply the 30 days free visa again? Many thanks in advance
Answers (1)
Answered by ZUPAN | Oct. 14, 2019 10:37

Yes, it is definitely possible. You can use this option practically unlimited number of times if you wish.
Asked by Anto from INDONESIA | Oct. 14, 2019 01:38Reply
Hainan VOA for Indonesian
I am from Indonesia.
Does Hainan VOA apply to Indonesian? what do i need to prepare? and how much does it cost?
Answers (1)
Answered by ZUPAN | Oct. 14, 2019 10:35

I would not suggest you to rely on Hainan VOA. On this website, there is still posted a case of three UK citizens denied the plane boarding in Singapore because they didn't have an invitation from a local tourist agency from Hainan. In other words, all those who plan to travel to Hainan are supposed to rely on 30 day visa free access and not on Hainan VOA.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)