Shenzhen 5-Day Visa on Arrival

The Shenzhen 5-day visa on arrival, also known as a Shenzhen 5-day VOA or Shenzhen Special Economic Zone Tourism Visa, enables tourists from most countries, including Australia and Canada to stay in Shenzhen for 5 days without applying for a regular visa. During the 5 days, foreign tourists eligible for the VOA cannot leave the Shenzhen urban area and countryside. The five-day VOA is a sticker pasted on the passport like a regular visa. Hence, there must be at least one blank page in the applicant's passport.

Shenzhen 5-day visa on arrival
Shenzhen 5-day visa on arrival (Sample)
Note that Shenzhen VOA only allows tourists to travel in Shenzhen for up to 5 days. It can neither be extended nor converted. VOA holders should leave China before it expires. The 5 days start counting from 00:00 the day following the entry date.

Who Is Eligible for the Five-Day VOA?

1. Most European and developed countries are eligible for the five-day VOA, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

2. As of July 2017, French and US citizens qualify for the five-day VOA.

3. Indonesian and Filipino passport holders can get it only if they have been granted a Chinese visa previously.

4. As of this writing, citizens from the following countries are ineligible: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Cameroon, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Uganda, and Yemen.

 Note: The list is subject to changes. Citizens of countries not mentioned should contact the relevant Chinese embassy or port to ask if they can apply for the Shenzhen visa on arrival.

Where to Get the VOA?

The single entry five-day VOA is always available at Luohu (Lo Wu) Port. It is available intermittently at Huanggang Port, Shekou Port and Fuyong Port. There is no office at Futian Port although it is only a few hundred meters from Huanggang Port.
Ports Opening Hours Phone Number
Luohu Port 7:00 - 23:30 (0755)82324022
Huanggang Port 00:00 - 24:00 (0755)83391060
Shekou Port 9:00 - 13:00 & 14:30 - 17:00 (0755)26691202
Fuyong Port 10:00 - the arrival of the last carrier (0755)23459289

How to Apply for the VOA & How Long Does It Take?

1. Show your valid passport;
2. Complete the application form when you are at the port;
3. The officer will take a photo of you after you hand over your passport and application form;
4. Pay for the VOA (in Chinese RMB); there is a window for currency exchange.

Most days, except public holidays and festivals, people can get the visa within ten minutes if only few people are waiting. However, the first days after the Chinese New Year, it may take several hours and there are usually long queues.

How Much Does a Shenzhen Visa Cost?

Usually, the application fee for a Shenzhen VOA is the same as a regular visa. It is RMB168/person for most, but not all countries. For example, UK passport holders need to pay CNY 304. Only China Yuan (CNY) is accepted by the visa-issuing ports.

What Can You Do During the 5 Days? 

As one of the special economic zones in China, Shenzhen attracts a large number of people from all over the world. Visiting Splendid China - Folk Culture Villages will provide tourists an opportunity to appreciate the charm of Chinese culture. Happy Valley and Window of the World are the perfect places to relax and be entertained. Dameisha Beach and Xiaomeisha Beach will not disappoint people for the fascinating coastline scenery. Besides, tourists can taste the delicious morning tea and Cantonese cuisine in Shenzhen. Business people can engage in some commercial activities and make a short business trip within the 5 days.
 Recommended Shenzhen Itinerary: Private Shenzhen City Tour

FAQ about Shenzhen 5-Day Visa on Arrival

1. Can I travel back and forth from HK to Shenzhen daily on this visa or do I need to apply each time?
The 5-day VOA is for single entry only, so you need to apply for it each time.

2. May I apply for Shenzhen VOA beforehand or through a travel agent?
No, you cannot. You need to apply for it at the border crossing upon arrival.

media recommendationfeatured on media