China Embassy in U.S.A.

 Visa Application Form of PRC
  Detail Procedure for Application 
   (How to Apply - Processing Time - Visa Fees - Pick-up, etc)
  For Children Born in USA with Chinese Descent Going to China

Ambassador: Mr. Cui Tiankai
Minister: Ms. Wu Xi 
Address: 3505 International Place, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008, USA
Tel: +1-202-4952266
Fax: +1-202-4952138
Email:  chinaembpress_us@mfa.gov.cn
Website: http://us.china-embassy.org/eng/

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in U.S.A.

Address: 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 110, Washington, D.C. 20007, USA
Automated Voice System: +1-202-3386688
Telephone Consulting Service: +1-202-3371956
Fax: +1-202-5889760
Email: chinavisadc@gmail.com
Office Hours: 09:30-12:30, 13:30-15:00, Monday-Friday (except holidays)

Consular Districts of the Embassy/Consulates in U.S.A

Embassy/Consulate Consular Jurisdiction
Embassy of PRC in Washington DC Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia,Wyoming
Consulate General of PRC in Chicago Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin
Consulate General of PRC in Houston Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Puerto Rico
Consulate General of PRC in New York Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
Consulate General of PRC in Los Angeles Arizona, Hawaii, New Mexico, Southern California, Pacific Islands
Consulate General of PRC in San Francisco Alaska, Nevada, Northern California, Oregon, Washington

Major Visa Types & Requirements


Tourist (L) It is issued to those who comes for tourism. Group L is available for tourists who travel on a group basis.
Business (M) It is issued to those who intend to go there for commercial and trade activities.
Noncommercial Visit (F) It is issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Employment/Work (Z) It is issued to an alien who comes for a post, employment, or commercial performance.
Student (X)

It is issued to foreigners who go to study in China.
X1 is issued to those who intend to stay for a period of more than 180 days, while X2 is issued to those who intend to stay for a period of no more than 180 days.

Family Reunion (Q) It is issued to those who are family members of Chinese citizens or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for family reunion, or to those who intend to go there for the purpose of foster care.
Q1 grants a stay of more than 180 days, while Q2 allows a stay of no more than 180 days.
Private Visit (S) it is issued to family members of foreigners with work Z and student X in China or visit for other private affairs.
S1 is for immediate family members, and S2 is for all family members including spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.
Transit (G)

It is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his or her way to a third country (or region).

Talent (R) It is issued to aliens who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China.
Hong Kong SAR & Macao SAR Visa 1. American citizens are exempt from Hong Kong Visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing and they stay at Hong Kong for not more than 90 days.
2. American citizens are exempt from Macao Visa for up to 30 days.

How to Apply -- Processing Time -- Visa Fees -- Pick-up

10-year China Visa for US Citizens

As of late 2014, the Chinese Embassy in the USA began to accept 10-year multiple-entry (L / M / Q2 / S2 type) and 5-year multiple entry (X1 type) visa applications. The required documents for the above-mentioned entry permits are basically the same as before. However, applicants please note that the remaining validity of passport should not be less than one year. Each allowed stay duration of ten-year L / M type shall be 60 days, 90 days for the S2 type, and 120 days for the Q2 type. The stay of Q2 type can be 180 days at most upon the applicant’s reasonable request. If the applicant gets a new passport but has a valid Chinese entry permit on the old passport, he or she can travel with both passports provided that the personal details on both papers are exactly consistent. The fee for a 10-year entry permit is 140 dollars.

2019 Holiday Schedule of the Embassy in Washington D.C. 

To observe the public holidays of PRC and the United States, the consular office will be closed on the following festivals in 2019.

Festivals Date Day
New Year's Day January 1 Tuesday
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr January 21 Monday
Chinese New Year February 4 & 5 Monday & Tuesday
Qingming Festival April 5 Friday
Dragon Boat Festival June 7 Friday
Independence Day July 4 Thursday
Mid-Autumn Festival September 13 Friday
Chinese National Day September 30 & October 1 Monday & Tuesday
Columbus Day October 14 Monday
Veteran's Day November 11 Monday
Thanksgiving Day November 28 & 29 Thursday & Friday
Christmas Day December 25 Wednesday

 Please contact Embassy of U.S.A. in PRC if Americans are in problems there.

 Recommended Tours:
China Tours from USAFrom New YorkFrom WashingtonFrom Los AngelesFrom SeattleFrom Chicago,
From DetroitFrom HoustonFrom San FranciscoFrom HawaiiFrom Boston

 Other Chinese Embassies in North America:
Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Nassau, the Bahamas, Ottawa, Canada
- Last modified on Nov. 05, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Embassy in U.S.A.
Asked by Lolo | Nov. 18, 2019 14:20Reply
One person on group visa cancel
I am planning to go to China with an organized tour and applied for a group visa with a travel partner but she is unable to go due to health issues. Will I still be able to go with a group visa since I’ll be going with an organized tour even if she does not come at all?
Asked by Joel De Jesus from UNITED STATES | Nov. 17, 2019 06:50Reply
Are we required still required to get CIBT Visa if we are there for less than 48 hours?
We ( a couple from Memphis, TN) are flying from MNL at 8:15 pm on March 5, 2020 and arriving in Pudong, Shanghai At 12:05 AM of March 6,2020. We intend to spend the whole day to visit and check the sceneries/go shopping/ before our departure the next day Match 7,2020 at 12:40 PM. Do we still need to secure a visa (from China Embassy In Washington DC) or can get a “temporary pass” at the airport immigration? thank you!
Answers (1)
Answered by Monica from USA | Nov. 18, 2019 18:20

Joel, I guess you are US citizens, right? If so and you will leave from Shanghai for another country different from Phillipines, you will be eligible for the 144h visa-free transit in Shanghai.
Asked by Yvette C Harris from UNITED STATES | Nov. 10, 2019 03:41Reply
2days two times
I have a flight from USA on 29Nov to Beijing and Arrive on 30th. I depart on 2 Dec for Singapore cruise. I arrive from Bangkok to Guangzhou on 1 Jan and Depart for USA (NYC JFK) on 3 Jan. What type of Visa do I need? I have Hotel and tours planned for both stays.
Answers (1)
Answered by Kimi from USA | Nov. 10, 2019 22:15

Dear, if you don't have layovers in other Chinese cities, it's very likely that you can enjoy the 144h visa-free transit for both trips.
Asked by MANDA MANGRAI from US | Nov. 04, 2019 18:23Reply
Do I need a visa for layovers in China?
We fly from SFO through Wuhan and Guangzhou to our final destination in Thailand. On the return, we will again stop in Guangzhou and Wuhan before continuing on to SFO. Outbound, we stop for 2 hours and 13 hours, returning we stop for 5 hours then 2 hours. A China Southern Rep told us we need a visa because we make 2 stops twice. Is this true? Everything I read on the travel sites say we don't.
Answers (1)
Answered by Sally from AUSTRALIA | Nov. 05, 2019 22:08

Even though you make two stops each time, you don't need a visa as long as the total layover in China is not longer than 24 hours.
Asked by Pam from USA | Oct. 17, 2019 20:42Reply
I live in Louisiana do I have to go to Houston to apply
Answers (2)
Answered by Amanda from USA | Oct. 20, 2019 19:29

Yes, you are right.
Answered by Pam from USA | Oct. 21, 2019 22:35

Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)