China Consulate in Chicago, USA

 Visa Application Form of PRC
  Detail Procedure for Application
  (How to Apply - Processing Time - Visa FeesPick-up, etc)
  For Children Born in USA with Chinese Descent Going to China

Consul General: Mr. Zhao Weiping
Address: 100 West Erie Street, Chicago, IL60654, USA
Tel: +1-312-8030095
Fax: +1-312-8030110 
Office Hours: 09:00-12:00, 13:00-16:30, Monday-Friday (except holidays)


Consular Office of Chinese Consulate in Chicago

 (for visa, passport, notarization & authentication)
Address: 1 East Erie Street, Suite 500, Chicago, IL60611, USA
Tel: +1-312-4530210
Fax: +1-312-4530211
Office Hours: 09:00-12:00, 13:00-14:30, Monday-Friday (except holidays)

  Consular Districts: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin

Fees and Processing Time

1. For American citizens, fee for individual is US$140 (regardless of the number of entries), and US$120 per person for Group Visa application;
2. Regular service for processing is 4 working days from the date of submitting the application. In addition, Expedited Service (2-3 working days) and Rush Service (1 working day) are available for visa processing. The extra service fees of US$20 and US$30 remain unchanged.
Note: In case of extreme emergency, applicants can use the Rush Service upon the consular officer's approval. If the application is submitted to the office before 11:00, it could be picked up on the same day.
3. Please pick up passport by submitting the pickup form. No passports can be released without this form.
4. No mailing services available.
5. The consular office does not accept cash, personal check or online payment. For personal pick up, only Credit Card (Master/Visa Card), Money Order, Cashier's Check or company check are acceptable. Please make checks and money order payable to "Chinese Consulate in Chicago". 

2020 Holiday Schedule

Festivals Date Day
New Year's Day January 1 Wednesday
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr January 20 Monday
Chinese New Year January 27 & 28 Monday & Tuesday
Qingming Festival April 6 Monday
Labor Day May 1 Friday
Memorial Day May 25 Monday
Independence Day July 3 Friday
US Labor Day September 7 Monday
Chinese National Day & Mid-Autumn Festival October 1 - 2 Thursday & Friday
Thanksgiving Day November 26 & 27 Thursday & Friday
Christmas Day December 25 Friday

Map of the Consulate in Chicago


Take I-90 or I-94 expressway, exit at Ohio Street (50B), walk straight to La Salle Street and then turn left, go ahead to the second traffic light and turn right to Erie Street. The consulate is on your left hand. 

If you take Lake Shore Drive, exit at Chicago Street, walk straight to La Salle Street and then turn left, go ahead to the third traffic light and turn left to Erie Street. You will see the consulate is on your left hand.

 Recommended Tours:
China Tours from USA
China Tour from Chicago USA
- Last modified on Dec. 19, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Consulate in Chicago
Asked by Frank F Meng from UNITED STATES | Mar. 05, 2020 15:56Reply
Chinese Birth Certificate
I was born in China in 1958, and now a US citizen. As many Chinese Americans I have nearly reached retirement age, and for claiming retirement benefits in the US we need to show our original birth certificate. In 1958 I do not believe China ever issued birth certificates to Chinese citizens, and I am now an American citizen, where can we turn into for such service to obtain an official birth certificate and what is cost? Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Answers (1)
Answered by Phoebe from CHINA | Mar. 06, 2020 17:42

Frank, yes, you are right that China did not issue brith certificates in 1958. So I'm afraid you can't get it anyhow from China side. Maybe you can contact the Chinese embassy in US to see if they can help you.
Asked by Luke Millikan from UNITED STATES | Jan. 30, 2020 13:12Reply
over charged?
I and my wife applied for a china visas and were told the cost would be 140$ plus a few serves charges.. I was charged 399$ a piece! are there consular fees on top of the 140$ because we don't know what to do.
Answers (1)
Answered by Emma from USA | Jan. 31, 2020 22:13

If you don't use an agent and you apply directly through the Chinese consulate, the cost is 140$ for each of you. No service charge should be paid.
Asked by natalia from USA | Dec. 11, 2019 07:47Reply
we are traveling from usa-beijing-russia; AS i understand we are eligible fro the 144 hrs visa free.
we are citizens of usa. what kind of paperwork we have to have with us for the airline .... for the chinese border control officials?
Answers (1)
Answered by Mandy from USA | Dec. 11, 2019 19:18

You need to have your passport, onward flight ticket to Russia, hotel bookings for Beijing, and visa for Russia (if required).
Asked by Alan Schiff from USA | Oct. 02, 2019 09:47Reply
what are payment options for visas?
Answers (1)
Answered by Michelle from USA | Oct. 08, 2019 19:38

Acceptable methods of payment are: credit card (Visa or Mastercard only), money order, cashier's check or company check.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)