China Visa Application in USA

 From October 23, 2023, American citizens can apply for a Chinese Visa without making an appointment. And from Jan. 1, 2024, tourist visa (L-Visa)  applicants within the US needn't submit materials like round-trip air ticket booking record, hotel reservation, invitation letter …

 Visa Application Form of PRC

 Embassy of PRC in USA
  Detail Procedure for Application
  (How to Apply - Processing Time - Fees - Pick-up, etc)
  For Children Born in USA with Chinese Descent Going to China

How to Apply

1. Fill in the visa application form on the official web of China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You need to choose the Embassy or Consulate-General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you reside.  After, print it out and sign it.  
2. Go to the Embassy or Consulate-General at appointed time to submit the application form and other requirements.
3. If you cannot come in person, you may entrust someone else or an agent to drop off your application at the consular office of the Embassy or Consulate-General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you reside.
4. Mailed applications are not acceptable and will be returned.

  From Jan. 1, 2024, tourist visa applicants (L-Visa) within the US will no longer be required to submit round-trip air ticket booking record, proof of hotel reservation, itinerary or invitation letter.

Processing Time

1. The regular processing time is 4 working days (e.g. submission on Monday, pick up on Thursday).
2. Express service: 3 working days processing, $25 will be charged per application.

Visa Fees

1. Please pay by Visa, MasterCard, Money Order, Cashier's Check. Cash or Personal/Company check is not acceptable.
2. Please make money order or checks payable to "Chinese Embassy".

Entry & Validity American Citizens Citizens of Other Countries
Single Entry USD 140 USD 23
Double Entries USD 34
Multiple Entries for 6 months USD 45
Multiple Entries for 12 months or more USD 68
resident correspondent J1 /
short-term journalist J2
USD 171 --
* The fees above are applicable from December 11, 2023 to December 31, 2024. The express service will charge USD 25 per visa.



1. On or after the pick-up date specified in the receipt, applicants can pay and pick up their passports themselves or by entrusted persons, travel agencies with the receipt. Please check your visa information carefully in the embassy, and contact the consular officer if there were any problem.
2. The Consular Office of the Embassy in Washington DC no longer provides mail back service. If anyone asks for mail back service, please contact travel agencies.

How to Identify if an Issued Chinese Visa is still Valid?

Please check carefully if the validity, number of entries and duration of stay on the obtained visa could still meet the need for the trip.

1. Validity (enter before) is the length of period that it is good for, namely from the issuing date to the deadline of entering China for the bearer of the visa. Given the number of entries are sufficient, the bearer is able to enter at anytime before 12:00am on the expiring date.

A visa becomes void once its period of validity expires regardless of whether its entries are used up or not. The holder should apply for a new visa if he or she intends to visit again. 

2. Entries is the number permitted to enter China during its validity. A visa becomes invalid if there is no more valid number of entries left. To use such a visa will lead to decline of entry. 

3. Duration of each stay refers to the longest period of time the bearer of a visa is permitted to stay in China from the date of entry on each visit. 

Under Chinese law, a foreign national who overstays his or her visa in China is subject to fine and other penalties. If it's necessary to stay longer than the duration of stay allowed, approval must be obtained from a local public security authority above county level 30 days before the duration of stay is running out. The bearer is permitted to stay without leaving once the application is approved.

- Last updated on Jan. 02, 2024 by Gabby Li -
Questions & Answers on China Visa Application in USA
Asked by ABrokaw from US | Mar. 14, 2024 06:58Reply
Who is considered an entrusted person to pick up the Visa and does Chicago Chinese consulate mail
Who is considered an entrusted person to pick up the Visa and does Chicago Chinese consulate mail back or do you have to pick up
Answers (1)
Answered by Marcy | Mar. 15, 2024 02:30

The consulate does not provide mail service. You can entrust your friends or relatives to collect your visa with the pick-up receipt.
Asked by Christian B Mukuna from UNITED STATES | Mar. 11, 2024 08:54Reply
Hi, I'm American citizen I travel Saturday 16,2024 to Zhengzhou China, is it necessary for me to get
Hello, I am American citizen, ready to go to visit zhengzhou China this Saturday March 16, 2024 for 6 days is it necessary for me to get a visa before my trip or I can pay the visa at China airport ?
Answers (1)
Answered by Eric | Mar. 12, 2024 02:27

There is no visa available when you landing in Zhengzhou. You need to apply for a visa in advance before the trip.
Asked by Kala Thompson from USA | Mar. 05, 2024 06:09Reply
Live in Houston, Texas going on Viking Cruise to China
Bit confused, which consulate office do we submit paperwork to for requesting VISA. I am assuming that we can do everything by mail since no consulate here anymore. Besides a VISA form application with photos attached and payment, am I missing anything else that might be required?
Answers (1)
Answered by Helen | Mar. 06, 2024 18:16

You need to apply for a China visa in Chinese embassy in Washington D.C. I'm afraid it is not possible to use e-mail and you need to go to the embassy directly. It is better to

You also need a Proof of Residence (e.g. , driver’s license, utility bill, bank bill); Where You Stay Form ( handwritten signature required). All the documents can be found on the official website of China Embassy.
Asked by Daniel from USA | Feb. 13, 2024 13:10Reply
Applying for a Q1 Visa and I fly out in 3 1/2 months
Is there a way to submit the Q1 Visa application with all supporting documents, and pay online? then, pick up the the approved Q1 Visa in person in Washington DC? (I live in Montverde Florida)
Answers (1)
Answered by Harry | Feb. 17, 2024 19:52

As I know, it is not possible. You should go there in person to submit all the documents. The other way is to find a reliable visa agency.
Asked by Sin Leung from USA | Jan. 22, 2024 15:28Reply
How long of a visa can I get if I own a place in a Special region in China? From USA.
Answers (1)
Answered by Linda | Jan. 22, 2024 17:14

It generally takes about 4 working days.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)