10-Year China Visa for UK Citizens

 The 5-year and 10-year multiple-entry China visas suspended during covid-19 pandemic have been resumed from March 15, 2023 on. Since then, their holders can enter China as long as they are not expired.
Starting on March 25, 2019, UK citizens can enjoy the benefit of the 10-year China visa with multiple entries, if they plan to visit China for the purposes of tourism, commercial or business activities, and short-term family visits. This will allow them to travel back and forth between UK and China without the hassle of applying for visa time after time. Meanwhile, the 5-year multiple-entry China visa is now also available for UK citizens.

How long can I stay in China on a 10-year visa?

Visa Type Max. Stay Duration after Each Entry
Tourist (L) 60 days
Business (M) 60 days
Private Visit (S2) 120 days
Family Reunion (Q2) 90 days

Who are eligible for a 10-year China visa?

The 10-year Tourist (L), Business (M), or Private Visit (S2) visa is available for all UK citizens provided that they have been granted a 5-year China visa before.

Therefore, for many applicants, actually the first step is to get a 5-year China visa by meeting either of the following requirements:
1. The applicant has been granted two or more 2-year China visas by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in UK.
2. The applicant has been granted one China visa with the validity of two or more years, and has visited China for at least three times each year in the past two years.

However, British spouses and children of Chinese citizens, and spouses and children of British Chinese, with the invitation from their Chinese family members can directly apply for a 10-year Q2 visa once they meet the above requirements.

What documents do I need to prepare?

1. A valid passport with the remaining validity of at least six months. It means your passport may expire during the validity of your 10-year China visa. In such a case, you can travel with both passports to enter China, saving the trouble of applying for a new visa.
2. A printed application form which has been completed online on the website of the CVASC center.
3. Documents justifying for your reasons for the travel, for instance, round-trip tickets and hotel booking for tourism purpose, an invitation letter from your business partner in China for commercial purpose…

How to apply for 10-year China visa in UK?

1. Navigate to the website of the Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC). On the homepage, select the CVASC in London, Manchester, Edinburgh or Belfast according to their service areas.
2. Complete the Chinese Visa Application Form on the website of the respective CVASC office. Then print it out and sign on it.
3. Collect other documents such as your passport, round-trip tickets, hotel bookings…
4. Make an online appointment on the above-mentioned website. Note that it's compulsory to do so if you apply for China visa from the CVASC in UK.
5. Submit your application to the CVASC on the appointed date and pay the visa fee.
6. Collect your visa on the date shown on your pick-up slip.

How much does a 10-year China visa for UK citizens cost?

Visa Type Regular Service Express Service Postal Return
10-year 321 pounds 352 pounds 345 pounds
5-year 236 pounds 267 pounds 260 pounds
Note: The fee includes the service fee charged by the CVASC office.
- Last updated on Aug. 24, 2023 by Brenda Lian -
Questions & Answers on 10-Year China Visa for UK Citizens
Asked by Eddie Chan from UK | Aug. 24, 2023 17:09Reply
Walk in to apply visa?
Do I need a book an appointment first or just walk in to apply ?
Answers (1)
Answered by Emily | Aug. 24, 2023 20:37

Hi, you do need to make an appointment online first: cova.mfa.gov.cn.
Asked by SandrA from UNITED KINGDOM | Aug. 09, 2023 03:31Reply
If i enter within dates of my entry visa but stay beyond the end date of the multiple visa is that o
Answers (1)
Answered by Emily | Aug. 09, 2023 23:44

It is okay to stay in China if your visa still valid.
Asked by Amir from UNITED KINGDOM | Aug. 01, 2023 11:27Reply
Previous HAD EU passport had 5 yr BUSINESS VISA
I renewed by passport - since Brexit now BRITISH PASSPORT- my OLD EU passport was expiring - This had 5 year business visa till Feb 2024 .. can I still travel to china taking both passports for travel to china ? Or should I apply for new 10 year business multiple entry visa again before travelling on current BRITISH PASSPORT ?
Answers (1)
Answered by Andrew | Aug. 01, 2023 19:51

In my opinion, it should be valid. However, it is still suggested to contact the embassy to confirm it.
Asked by Ash from ENGLAND | Jul. 31, 2023 08:22Reply
Purchase flights before visa?
Is there any way to obtain a visa without purchasing your flight and accommodation?

I will be travelling around Asia and do not know my exact travel dates so I am unable to buy tickets beforehand.
Answers (1)
Answered by Vivian | Aug. 01, 2023 01:15

You can replace the flight and accommodation with an invitation letter from a Chinese or someone residing in China.
Asked by David Tomes from UNITED KINGDOM | Jun. 21, 2023 02:38Reply
Hainan travel
Hi am a UK resident traveling with Chinese Southern airway to end destination of Hainan Island, I intend to stay exclusively on the island using the 30 day visa free exemption.
I have a transfer through Beijing Airport of 2 hours , between connecting flights, can you please help. do I need a china entry visa for the transfer through the airport
I have return flight tickets that return through Guangzhou for two hours
I have an amodation address in Hainan
Answers (1)
Answered by Eric | Jun. 24, 2023 18:20

Since you don't fly into and out of Hainan directly (with stopovers in Beijing and Guangzhou), you need to apply for a visa in advance.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)