How to Apply for a China Tourist Visa
Before embarking on your China trip, it’s necessary to obtain a Chinese tourist visa, aka L visa or travel visa, unless that you are eligible for China's visa exemption policies. No matter you will join a group tour or travel independently, you need to apply for the visa on your own in most cases, but there is a slight difference in the two scenarios.
|Sample of China Tourist Visa|
Join a group tour
If you book a tour from a China agency like TravelChinaGuide, the process might be easier. You can ask for an invitation letter from the agency, which is of great help in visa application and can improve the chance for visa approval to some degree.
Round-trip tickets and hotel reservations are required for tourist visa application for independent travelers. Submit as detailed supporting documents as you can to justify your travel itinerary. Usually the hotel bookings should cover your whole stay length in China and be consistent with the dates of arrival and departure shown on your tickets, otherwise your visa may get rejected.
What Are the Requirements for China Tourist Visa?
Generally the required documents include:
1. Your passport, which should be valid for at least six months
2. A complete Chinese Tourist Visa Application Form attached with your passport style photo
3. Round-trip tickets and hotel reservations or an invitation letter from from a travel agency in China
4. For some first-time applicants or citizens from certain countries, they may need to provide extra documents such as bank statement, employee certificate and tax return form to prove their financial status.
|China Tourist Visa Requirements|
5 Steps to Apply for a Tourist Visa for China
1. Prepare your passport and ensure its validity is no less than six months.
2. Book round-trip tickets and hotels, and print the booking records. Alternatively, book a tour from a travel agency and get the invitation letter.
3. Complete the application form. (See 8 Tips for Filling out Chinese Visa Application Form)
4. Submit the above documents to the Chinese embassy / consulate or CVASC which has jurisdiction in your residence area.
5. Collect your passport and visa on the appointed date and pay the fee.
How Much Does a China Tourist Visa Cost?
|US Citizens||Canadian Citizens||UK Citizens||Australian Citizens|
|USD 140||CAD 142||GBP 151||AUD 109.5|
Here we only list single entry tourist visa fees for some major countries. Click on China Visa Fees for more information.
How Long Does It Take for the Application?
It normally takes only four working days. In case you are in a hurry, you may apply for the expedited services like same day collection service or 2-3 day collection service. Of course, such services require an additional fee.
How Far in Advance Do I Apply for a Tourist Visa for China?
It's recommended to apply six weeks ahead of your planned visit, which is neither too early nor too late.
How Long Is a China Tourist Visa Valid?
A China tourist visa is normally valid for three months from the date of issue. For US citizens, they may get a multiple-entry tourist visa valid for 10 years. The allowed stay duration ranges from 30 days to 90 days decided by consular officers on the basis of your travel itinerary.
See some of our best tour packages:
8 Days Beijing - Xi'an - Shanghai from $1119
You may also be interested in:
China Travel Tips
China Tour Planning
Top 10 China Destinations for First Time Travelers
* Category "L" and
* Entries "M" (Chinese Character) and
* Duration of each stay 030
Each port visit will be for one day
We each have new passports, but no information has changed.
I do not know in advance where , or when I would stay in
various parts of China. Travelling for 3-weeks.
I think we might need something for Vietnam, but my biggest concern is Shanghai...does the cruise itinerary above qualify for the 144 hour VISA exemption for our 2 day stop in Shanghai?