New Zealand

Chinese Embassy in New Zealand

Ambassador: Mr Wang Xiaolong
Address: 2-6 Glenmore Street, Kelburn, Wellington, New Zealand
Postal Address: P.O. Box 17-257, Karori, Wellington, New Zealand
Fax: +64-4-4990419

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in New Zealand

Address: 4 Halswell Street, Thorndon, Wellington
Tel: 04 4733514, 9:00 - 12:00, 14:00 - 15:00 
Consular Protection: 04-4995022
Fax: 04 4995572

Consular Districts

Embassy/Consulate Consular_Jurisdiction
Embassy of PRC in Wellington Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, Hawke's Bay, Taranaki, Manawatu-Wanganui, Wellington
Consulate General of PRC in Auckland Northland, Auckland, Waikato
Consulate General of PRC in Christchurch Tasman, Nelson, West Coast, Canterbury, Otago, Southland

Fees (NZ$)

Regular Visa Fee

Types Visa Fee
New Zealand Single Entry 105
Double Entries 160
6-Month Multiple Entries 210
12-Month Multiple Entries 315
The US Single, Double & Multiple Entries 225
J-Type 285
Canada 85
Argentina 160
Brazil 150
Israel 30
Romania Single Entry 80
Double Entries 105
Multiple Entries 160
Other Countries Single Entry 45
Double Entries 70
6-Month Multiple Entries 90
12-Month Multiple Entries 135
 Note: The embasy only accepts Credit Card (Visa/MasterCard only), Bank Cheque (excluding Personal cheque and Company cheque), and Money Order as means of payment. Make the check payable to "Embassy of the PRC in New Zealand". EFTPOS and Credit Card is acceptable at the counter of the consular office.

Express Service Fee

The regular processing time is 4 working days. For urgent cases, the express service taking 2-3 processing days is available, but the application must be lodged in person and an extra charge of NZD 37 is required.

 Note: The urgent process is only available with approval of consular officer at the time the application is lodged. Proof of outward travel, such as a fully paid fight ticket may be required.

Major Visa Types & Requirements


Tourist (L) It is issued to those who comes for tourism. Group L is available for tourists who travel on a group basis.
Business (M) M is issued to those who intend to go there for commercial and trade activities.
Noncommercial Visit (F) F is issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Employment/Work (Z) It is issued to an alien who comes for a post or employment, or commercial performance.
Student (X)

It is issued to foreigners who come to study in China.

Family Reunion (Q) It is issued to those who are family members of Chinese citizens or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for family reunion, or to those who intend to go there for the purpose of foster care.
Q1 grants a stay of more than 180 days, while Q2 allows a stay of no more than 180 days.
Private visit (S) it is issued to family members of foreigners with work Z and student X in China or visit for other private affairs.
Talent (R) It is issued to aliens who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China.
Transit (G)

It is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his or her way to a third country(or region).

Hong Kong SAR & Macao SAR Visa New Zealand citizens are exempt from Hong Kong Visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing and they stay at Hong Kong for not more than 90 days, and Macao for up to 30 days.

 Please contact Embassy of New Zealand in China if New Zealanders are in troubles there.

2024 Holiday Schedule of Chinese Embassy in New Zealand

Festival Date Day
New Year's Day January 1 Monday
Chinese New Year February 12 - 14 Monday - Wednesday
Easter April 1 Monday
King's Birthday June 10 Monday
Mid-Autumn Day September 16 Monday
Chinese National Day September 30 - October 1 Monday - Tuesday
Christmas Day December 23 - 24 Monday - Tuesday

 Other Chinese Embassies in Oceania: Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Embassy of China in Tonga
 Recommended Tours: From Newzealand, From Wellington, From Auckland
- Last updated on Jan. 09, 2024 by Catherine He -
Questions & Answers on Chinese Embassy in New Zealand
Asked by Gary from NEW ZEALAND | Apr. 15, 2023 15:30Reply
do i need a visa for less than 6 day stay,am a NZ CITIZEN
Answers (1)
Answered by Scott | Apr. 16, 2023 23:07

Yes, you need a visa to enter China.
Asked by Graeme from NZ, WELLINGTON | Mar. 10, 2023 15:22Reply
How long to issue a visa after interview
Hi there. I just submitted the online application and selected an interview date. How long does it take after the interview to get the visa, assuming it is approved? Do they hold your passport for that time?
Answers (1)
Answered by Olivia | Mar. 12, 2023 19:59

It usually takes 4 working days and they hold your passport for that time. There is also rush or express service taking 1-3 working days, but they need additional pay.
Asked by Ankkush from NEW ZEALAND | Jan. 25, 2023 19:23Reply
Hi I want to apply for a visitor/ tourist visa but I don’t have a set date yet can I still apply ? Also I wanted multiple entries just in case I need to change plans
Answers (1)
Answered by Lisa | Jan. 31, 2023 17:00

Tourist visa to China is not available at the moment and you need to wait for some more days. Maybe when your date is set, it will be available.
Asked by Lindsay from NEW ZEALAND | Oct. 28, 2020 15:43Reply
Booking an appointment online.
I have completed my online application and have been trying to book an appointment, but get a message that says "the maximum number of people making an appointment at one time is 0. Please make a change." What do I need to do to resolve this issue?
Answers (4)
Answered by Eva | Nov. 01, 2020 22:13

It means that this date is not available, you can change to another date to make an appointment.
Answered by Lindsay Douglas | Nov. 01, 2020 22:53

I haven't entered a date. The first page only allows me to enter my name, phone number, email, and Application Number. I have not had the opportunity to enter a date yet.
Answered by kahn | Mar. 27, 2023 17:25

I am having issues here too. I have tried for a week, emailed the embassy and have tried calling. I don't even get to choose a day or time just says "The maximum number of people making appointment at one time is 0. Please make change." I drove to the embassy in Auckland this morning and waited outside to speak with someone about it and was just told to book online. This is the issue. I CANT BOOK ONLINE! I am due to fly out next week and getting no help what so ever.
Answered by Shahid | May. 18, 2023 04:30

same issue
Asked by Thomas Gomes | Oct. 24, 2020 21:16Reply
Hello, I am a French in New Zealand with a French passport, I have been in NZ for 1 year, I would like to go to China in January for a kung fu school, is this possible?
Answers (1)
Answered by William | Oct. 25, 2020 22:50

Thomas, I don't think it is possible because China seldom issues student visas at present as far as I know.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)