Related Information


USA Passport Sample
USA Passport Sample
A passport is always required when traveling from one country to another. This is the authorized identification document issued by your country of citizenship that confirms your identity and nationality.

What is passport?

It is a legal certificate issued by one's mother country to testify its owner's nationality and identity when crossing one country's frontier into another for travel, work and residence overseas. Actually the word "passport" in English means the pass of a port. In other words, It is the proof for a citizen to go through the international ports of all countries. Some countries may issue a kind of general credentials to replace it.


For international travel across borders, a citizen must possess a legitimate one which issued by his own country's government, and simultaneously, an effective visa to your destination country is also often required.

If you should have an accident during the period of travel or residence abroad, the host country should first confirm your status and nationality according to your passport, and then decide what to do next and how to handle it well. Similarly, the country which issued it and its embassy or consulate stationed abroad also has to decide how to offer help or diplomatic protection.



Period of Validity

Effective Area

Make it well-kept

What to do if it is lost


Chinese Embassy Information

 China Embassy in New York, USA

 China Embassy in London, UK

 China Embassy in Paris, France

 China Embassy in Sydney, Australia

 China Embassy in Canada

Please click for China Embassy in more countries. 

Selected Questions and Answers:

 Asked by Ms. zarlash
Hi, i lost my passport in China. Now I’m in China and i want a new one, what should i do now,?

 Answered by Ms. Lilian
Ms. Zarlsh, you should do as follows:
1) Report the loss immediately to the Embassy of your country in Beijing or the Consulates-General in other big cities.
2) Obtain an official Lost report from the local police station or the Public Security Bureau (PSB).
3) Complete and submit an Application form of your country.


  Asked by Ms. I (UK)
Hi, I need to travel to Hong Kong and maybe Macau, I was born in Macau but have portuguese nationality. My passport expires in less than 6 months, I don't have time to renew it as this is a matter of urgency, I wonder if I can get in without having problems. I am possibly going for 1 to 2 weeks. thank you

 Answered by Mr. JOHNNASH
You won't face any problems, one with at least 6 months validity is required when you apply for visa, however, you don't need a visa to Hong Kong or Macau, the one with 1 month validity beyond the intended stay is accepted by immigration officers of Hong Kong & Macau.

- Last updated on Jul. 19, 2021 -
Questions & Answers on Passport
Asked by Arslan mumtaz from PAKISTAN | Jul. 12, 2021 05:28Reply
I lost my passport in China ( Tianjin city) , how to get new or report for it
Answers (1)
Answered by Leo | Jul. 19, 2021 01:06

You need to report your case to the local police first. Then go to the embassy of your country in China to apply for a new passport. And then go to the local exit and entry administration to apply for a new visa.
Asked by Telvin from USA | Aug. 21, 2019 17:21Reply
Traveling from Korea to the USA
I’m traveling from Korea to the us but on my return flight I have a layover in China. Do I need a psssport if I’m not leaving the airport. Just a connecting flight.
Answers (1)
Answered by William from UNITED KINGDOM | Aug. 21, 2019 23:15

Telvin, I bet you meant visa but mistyped it as passport, right? Because passport is always needed for international travellers. As for visa, you can check whether you are able to use the visa-free transit policy. If yes, visa is not required then.
Asked by Dan from AUSTRALIA | Jul. 12, 2019 14:36Reply
Australian transiting through China from UK
Hi there. I’m an Australian citizen and need to get home from the Uk. But my passport will only have 5 months validity left.
Can I transit through if I have a onward ticket booked?
Answers (3)
Answered by Kelly from USA | Jul. 14, 2019 19:42

Dan, please specify your entire itinerary so that I can figure out whether you are eligible for visa exemption transit in mainland China.
Answered by Dan from AUSTRALIA | Jul. 15, 2019 01:46

The plan is to fly from London UK, to Sydney or Melbourne Australia.
A lot of the flights I have searched have a stop/change in China.
I have not booked anything yet as I’m not sure of the rules regarding passports in China
Answered by Kelly from USA | Jul. 15, 2019 18:24

Dear, if your itinerary is UK - China - Australia and your total stay in mainland China is shorter than 24 hours, you can enjoy 24h visa exemption transit in China.
Asked by Lily from INDONESIA | Jul. 07, 2019 20:04Reply
Can i enter China if passport validity less than 6 months with approved china visa?
Dear Sir/Madam,

My passport will be expire on 17 Feb 2020, I have got china visa already and plan to visit HK and continue with China on 26 Aug 2019. Will I get problem to enter china from China immigration as my passport validity less than 6 months? however I already got china visa approval already. Please advice. Thanks
Answers (1)
Answered by Dorothy from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 08, 2019 19:50

Lily, as you have already obtain Chinese visa, there is no problem.
Asked by Milton from COLOMBIA | Apr. 24, 2019 09:13Reply
Colombian citizen entering China with an expired passport but with a valid job visa
Hi, I’m a Colombian citizen who works in China. I need to get a new passport because my current passport is almost full. Can I enter China with an expired passport containing my job visa and with my new passport ?
Answers (1)
Answered by Emliy from RUSSIA | May. 05, 2019 20:40

Hi, as I know, you may enter China with both expired and new passort.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)