Related Information



At present, the passports issued by majority of countries in the world are generally divided into three types: diplomatic, service/official and regular ones. Some countries only issue one type(like UK); some countries only issue two of them (like India, Pakistan and so on); but there are also some countries which issue four or five types (like US, France and so on).

Diplomatic: Those who possess diplomatic status are issued a diplomatic type, like the diplomat, consul and official as well as the head of state, governmental officials, delegation members of the Congress or government, who are going abroad for national affairs or activities. According to the international convention, the spouse and the children of the above personnel generally are also issued the same type.

Service/Official: It is issued for government office-bearer of a country. Besides, all countries will issue this type to the staff who works for embassies or consulates abroad but have no diplomatic status, along with their spouse and the grown-up children.

Regular: It is issued to all other citizens (populace). For different reasons (line of duty or private affair) for going abroad, the regular one may also have different types in different countries.


As for content, all countries have similar requirements with each other. All contain the national emblem, the full country's name and the type imprinted on the cover, while the details for use of it are usually imprinted on the back cover; On the insider front cover are generally printed the words requesting that the correlated military or administrative departments of the target country for some necessary convenience and assistance to the person who carrying the passport.

Extensions for expired passports are allowed in all countries, so they contain special pages for extension and remarks. To facilitate countries to issue visas, many additional blank pages are included within it, each page imprinted with the word "VISA".

The texts printed on it are primarily in the native language of the issuer, but the same texts in English are also included by most countries.

Period of Validity

A passport is not a permanent credential but a document with a limited period of validity. It is the legal proof during the period of validity only, which is also known as effective; otherwise it is invalid and is without legal status.

Periods of validity issued by different countries is inconsistent and respectively is one, two, three and five-years, though the one issued in some countries may be valid for ten years.

Generally speaking, a period of validity in excess of six months is required by countries for visa issue. If the period of validity is insufficient less than six months, you will have to go to apply for extension or renewal. Only then can you go to embassies and consulates to apply for a visa.

Effective Area

The effective area is one of important contents. In some countries it imprinted the words like "this passport is effective toward XX (country name)" or "citizen who holds it is not allowed to go to X X (country name) and XX (area name)".

Make it well-kept

Before you apply for the visa to your destination country, you had better keep your prepared passport well in a safe place at home. Do not always carry it with you. After obtaining a visa, it is active for that country and holds a high value. Some international criminal groups and pickpockets specialize in stealing passport and consider it more valuable than currency. They will trade it for money, or perform some other illegal activities using it as a shield. Therefore, you must keep yours safe under lock and key, especially after you pass through the customs inspection and go on the oversea trip, be vigilant at all times. Now you should carry yours along with you all the times. Do not put it into your outside pockets or bag then after a while another. It is much safer to put it into an inside pocket, which allows ready access for any eventuality you may encounter where it is required.

What to do if it is lost

If you lose it before you go abroad, you should immediately report the case to the security authorities and relevant issuing office in your country, provide a detailed statement of the time and the place of its loss and state the basic information (name, gender, date of birth, number and so on), Necessarily, you may have to go to your local newspaper to report the loss (your name and number should be published plainly).

If it is lost abroad, you should rapidly report the case to the local public security organs and complete the detailed and essential registration procedure, simultaneously you should go to your countries nearest embassy or consulate as soon as possible to complete the registration procedure of the loss report, and then apply for a reissue.

In order to prevent the loss, TCG suggests that you'd better write the number on a jotter beforehand, or photocopy the whole content on its first page then make it well preserved. All these preparations may offer you some convenient clues or good help should you lose it.


After you get a new one, firstly you should carefully inspect it. If there are some questionable points or errors, you should immediately ask the related staff for the application of correction. If no questions or mistakes are discovered after your inspection, you can well bring it back and keep it well.

This is just the first step of the procedure for going abroad. Another necessary thing is that you should carry your passport and the correlated credential materials to go to the embassies or consulates of your target country stationed in your own country for the visa application. When you obtain the visa, you should have an "International Prophylactic Inoculation Certificate". After purchasing the air ticket to your target country and doing some pre-trip preparatory work, you can proceed with your journey abroad.

A passport with two opposing blank visa pages and validity of at least six-month is required from the day when you submit the visa application is required before you visit China.

- Last modified on Jun. 26, 2020 -
Questions & Answers on Passport
Asked by Robert Bilardo from UNITED STATES | Jun. 19, 2020 08:34Reply
how do I renew my chinese passport while living in Florida
Where and what are the procedures to renew my chinese passport while living in Florida.
Answers (1)
Answered by Grace from USA | Jun. 22, 2020 00:02

You can go to the Houston Consulate. First, make an online application for renewing passport. Then go to the consulate with necessary documents.
Asked by Glenn from NEW ZEALAND | Jun. 04, 2020 16:44Reply
Please can you tell me where I go to renew my Chinese passport in New Zealand?
Answers (1)
Answered by Sandra from NEW ZEALAND | Jun. 07, 2020 20:48

Glenn, you can go to the Chinese embassy at: 4 Halswell Street, Thorndon, Wellington
Asked by weijie Hamlyn from CANADA | Feb. 19, 2020 14:34Reply
name change
I'm renewing my Chinese passport soon in Toronto, Canada. I'm married to a Canadian citizen and need my chines name changed to my husband's name on my new passport. How is this possible?
Answers (1)
Answered by Celine from CANADA | Feb. 26, 2020 17:31

Yes, this is possible. You may need to do something at the local authority and then renew your passport.
Asked by Fred from SINGAPORE | Sep. 17, 2019 23:25Reply
I'm holding a Singapore passport
Hi, I'm holding a Singapore passport and from Singapore. My passport expires in 5 months and I want to visit China for 4 days, next week. Am I good to go?
Answers (1)
Answered by Bonnie from USA | Sep. 18, 2019 22:51

You are good to go with this passport.
Asked by Roody from HAITI | Aug. 28, 2019 15:15Reply
Hello I'm Roody please I have a questions I have a invitation letter who were sending in the 1 JulyI
Hello I'm Roody please I have a questions I have a invitation letter who were sending in the 1 July can I still use it this month
Answers (2)
Answered by Cary from USA | Aug. 29, 2019 18:57

yes, you could use that to apply for the visa.
Answered by Roody from HAITI | Sep. 06, 2019 10:32

But it says I'm traveling in July the person who send don't want to send more
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)