Nalati Grassland (Nalati Prairie)
|More Nalati Grassland Pictures|
A beautiful story is associated with the grassland. During the last years of the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279), Genghis Khan made a west expedition to Ili in midsummer. However, it was very cold in the mountains, further exhausting the already hungry soldiers. To their surprise, after crossing a mountain, they saw a boundless stretch of grassland. Dainty flowers were in full bloom and clear streams murmured over the lush green grass. It looked like a marvelous wonderland, so soldiers shouted happily ‘Nalati, Natati’.
Since ancient times, the grassland has been a famous pasture in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. The beautiful scenery here is beyond description. If the boundless grassland is a green sea then the white yurts are sails; herds of sheep, cows and horses are waves; continuous mountains are a coast; upright cedars on cliffs are heroic guards.
From June to September, the vast expanse of lush grassland is dotted with colorful wild flowers. The surrounding snow mountains, white clouds, blue sky make this grassland more charming. Thus, this period is the best time to visit this wonderland. Many activities are held in this ‘Cradle of Kazaks’. The hospitable Kazak herdsmen receive guests with their particular custom and culture.
|Service||Since the scenic spot is so large that shuttle buses and sightseeing buses are provided. If tourists intend to take the buses, one needs to buy the bus tickets at the tourists’ center. |
Emergency Rescue Number: 0999-5291806, 0999-5291888
1. From Urumqi Nianzigou Long-distance Bus Station, there are three buses to reach Xinyuan County in about 11 hours. The buses depart at 17:00, 19:00 and 21:00 and arrive the next morning. From Xinyuan to Nalati, frequent buses can be found from 09:00 to 21:00 and the bus takes about 40 minutes to reach the grassland.
2. Or visitors can reach Yining city from Urumqi Nianzigou Long-distance Bus Station first. The buses for Yining, operating from 09:00 to 21:00, runs seven to eight hours on the road. Upon reaching Yining, one can take buses, costing about 2.5 to 3 hours, to Xinyuan County from 09:00 to 21:00. Then you can take buses in Xinyuan for Nalati in about an hour.
3. Besides bus journey, flight is another better choice. One can fly to reach Yining first from Urumqi or reach Nalati airport directly from Urumqi. Flights from Urumqi to Yining are available everyday. From Urumqi to Nalati, the flights can be found on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday all the year around and during the peak season (from around June to early October), flights are available everyday.
1. The temperature difference is large, so that a long sleeved coat and trousers are necessary during the visiting.
2. It is suggested to prepare several bottles of water if you are first to there. The local water is saline-alkaline water, so visitors may be hard to get accustomed to it.
3. A flashlight is advised to prepare at night, because it is hard for you to tell the directions in the evening.
4. Sun cream, sun umbrellas or hats are necessary of the local strong ultraviolet rays.
5. The safety needs to be paid more attention, because one may easily get lost if you drive or ride a horse out of designated areas.
6. It is hard for visitors to find the starred hotel at the grassland, but the condition of some local good hotels or resort is comparatively well. The price for these hotels or villas is around CNY100 to 300 depending on various environments. Those who want to reduce the cost can live in Youth Hostel and two international youth hostels can be found there, Nalati International Youth Hostel and Nalati Gutuoling International Hostel.
Top 10 Things to Do in Xinjiang
I wanna stay in tent, is it possible and how much
Will it be a problem?
or Same timing for bus?
Can I know the price too?