As one of the most famous mosques in China, Tianjin Great Mosque has been an important Islamic shrine since the beginning of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). Extending over an area of 5,980 square yards (5,000 square meters), it consists of four main structures, the Screen Wall, the Archway, the Prayer Hall and the Preaching Hall. Of these the Prayer Hall is the most active and respected spot in the complex.
The hall adopts traditional Chinese palace architectural style, with a hip roof and brick carving decorations. It covers an area of 1,064 square yards (890 square meters) and can hold more than one thousand people.
In the Prayer Hall, there hangs over 60 couplets and tablets written in Arabic and Chinese characters. Many of them have a history of almost 300 years and written by famous calligraphers. They are in a variety of styles and express deep meanings. What's more, the mosque collects two Quran in miniature version. They are in the size of a half or a third of a matchbox. Also, visitors can find the exquisite brick art carving works by Ma Shaoqing, a famous artist of Hui minority. Set in the second north gatehouse, these precious brick art carving works mainly describe the famous scenic spots in Tianjin.
Even today, over one thousand Muslims from in and around Tianjin come here to worship each week. While tourists may not enter the building it is possible for them to walk round the courtyard so as to have a close view of the mosque. The Great Mosque lies in the northwest part of the city, Hongqiao District. A visit of half an hour is recommended.
2. Enter the Prayer Hall only with the permission of the staff there if you are not a Muslim.
3. The Great Mosque is located in the Hui minority concentrated communities in Hongqiao District, so visitors can enjoy a variety of delicious muslim food around the mosque. During your visit, please respect Islam and Hui people's custom.
2. Take bus no. 52, 461, 516, 631, 687, 852, or 861 and get off at Xianchunyuan Station.
3. Take bus no. 10, 161, 688, 829, 904, or 910 and get off at Xiaohuoxiang Station.
4. Take bus no. 628, 634, 672, 800, 836, 837, 856, 865, or 907 and get off at Ximalu Station.
5. Take bus no. 12, 333, 600, 639, 903, 906, 952, or sightseeing bus no. 3 and get off at Xibeijiao Station.
Tianjin Bus / Metro Search
|Admission Fee:||CNY 8|
|Opening Hours:||8:00 to 17:00|
|Recommended Time for a Visit:||Half an hour|
Dabei Buddhist Temple