How to Make Phone Calls
Dialing China from Abroad Using a Landline Telephone / Cell Phone
To Dial a TelephoneDial the Exit Number of Your Country==> +86 (Country Code of China)==> +Area Code of the Chinese City==> +Telephone Number
For example: if you want to dial the number 12345678 in Beijing from America: 011(US exit code) + 86 (Chinese country code) + 10 (Beijing area code) + 12345678
To Dail a Cell PhoneDial the Exit Number of Your Country ==> +86 (Country Code of China) ==> +Cell Phone Number
For Example: if you want to dial a cell phone number 12345678901: 011(US exit code) + 86 (Chinese country code) + 12345678901
Dialing Abroad from China Using a Landline Telephone / Cell Phone
To Dial a Telephone
|Public Phones in Beijing International Airport|
For Example: if you want to dial a telephone number 12345678 of London, UK: 00 (China exit code) + 44 (country code of UK) + 20 (area code of London) ==> + 12345678
If the place you are going to call only has a country / area code: 00 (Exit Code of China) + Country / Area Code of the Place You Are Going to Call + Telephone Number
For example: if you want to dial a telephone number 12345678 of Singapore: 00 (Exit code of China) + 65 (country / area code of Singapore) + 12345678
To dail a cell phone
For Example: if you want to dial a cell phone number 12345678901 of London, UK: 00 (China exit code) + 44 (country code of UK) ==> + 12345678901
Here below are some of other countries'/regions' exit code and country code for reference:
|Country / Area||Exit Code||Country Code|
Dialing within China
To Dial a Telephone Using a Landline Telephone / Cell Phone
A Local Call: Dial the telephone number directly
A Long-distance Call:
|Public Phone Booth in Chongqing|
For example: if you want to dial a Beijing number 12345678 from Shanghai: 0 + 10 (area code of Beijing) + 12345678
To Dial a Cell Phone Using a Telephone
A Local Call: Dial the cell phone number directly
A Long-distance Call: 0 + Cell Phone Number
For example, if you want to dial a Beijing cell number 12345678901 in Xian: 0 + 12345678901
To Dial a Cell Phone Using a Cell Phone
A Local / Long-distance Call: Dial the cell phone number directly
Please refer to China area code and zip code for detailed codes of major cities.
2. The above mentioned instructions are all regarding direct dialing. They are the easiest but most expensive. In China, telecommunication service providers usually offer an IP service for international and long-distance calls, which is much cheaper. For example, the IP numbers of the country's three largest telecom operators are 17900 / 17901 for China Telecom, 17951 / 12593 for China Mobile, and 17910 / 17911 for China Unicom. Just dial the IP number before the telephone or cell phone number, it will save you money.
|Public Phone in Beijing|
3. A cheaper way to make an international / long-distance call is using VOIP. In China, the popular VOIP service providers include Skype, Alicall, QQVoice…
4. Another cheaper way to make an international call is to use an international phone card. One of the most famous service providers of the kind is Pingo.
5. Do not leave your cell phone lying around; always put it in a safe place.
6. Do not give your phone number to strangers without good reason; exercise caution when speaking to strangers on the phone and do not provide any personal details if deemed unnecessary.
7. Do not call back a strange number without good reason as you may be the target of a hoax. They will call you, but hang up quickly. If you call back, the charge will be much higher than the normal rate.
Note: it is worthwhile memorizing some useful numbers. If you have any questions, you can then call the relevant number for help. In most cases a service in English is provided. For reference: Useful Telephone Numbers