- Best China Tours
- China City Packages
- Yangtze Cruise
- Tibet Discovery
- Great Wall Tours
- Silk Road Adventure
- Yunnan & Guizhou
- Asia Tours
- DIY Quote
- Budget Travel
- Free Inquiry
- Lowest Price
- No Shopping Stops
- Expert Guide & Driver
- Downtown Hotels
- A La Carte Meals
- Chinese Family Visit
- Free Cooking Class
- No Hidden Charges
GW05: Private Guided Hiking on Mutianyu Great Wall
Meals: not included, but our guide will offer some suggestions.
- 1 person$283
- 2 persons$157
- 3 persons$121
- 4 persons$94
- 5 persons$87
- 6 persons$71
- 7 persons$73
- 8 persons$68
- 9 persons$64
For those clients who are of adventure spirits, we also would like to offer the following detailed information for independent hiking on Mutianyu Great Wall.
Hiking duration: 3 - 4 hours
Direction: South Entrance - China Dream Stones City - Watchtower No.6 - Watchtower No.1 - Watchtower No. 20
Best Time to Visit: April to June; September to October
Highlights: Mutianyu Great Wall is 73 kilometers (45.4 miles) away from the city center of Beijing in Huairou District. It connects Juyongguan on the west and Gubeikou on the east. The section that is open to tourists is about 2,250 meters (2,460 yards) long and is equipped with a world-class cable car, the first built on the Great Wall. The China Dream Stones City, Lu Ming Recreation Zoo and the Slide Way are newly established to provide more options to visitors coming to Mutianyu.
Mutianyu is accessible by taking a direct bus No. 867 at Dongzhimen station. The journey takes about 2.5 hours and the bus fare is CNY 16 in cash or CNY 6.4 with a transportation card. Please note that the bus is only available from March 15th to November 15th every year, and it leaves Dongzhimen at 07:00 hrs and 08:30 hrs and returns to the city at 14:00 hrs and 16:00 hrs.
Alternatively, use bus No. 916 or 916 (express) from Dongzhimen Station and alight at Huairou Beidajie. Then take a cab or minibus to the attraction at a cost of CNY 50 per cab. Bus No. 916 runs from 5:30-18:00 at an interval of 20 minutes daily.
For those who are sporty enough to walk up the Great Wall, they can choose either the south or north passage. Each passage will have split ways half way up. The two fork ways of the south passage will take visitors to watchtowers No. 6 and No. 8 respectively; whereas the two of the north passage will lead to watchtowers No. 8 and No. 10 respectively.
The wall is not high in altitude either but the views are stereoscopic. Climb eastwards from No. 6 to No. 4 Watchtower where the Mutianyu Pass is located. It is the lowest point of this wall with an altitude of only 486 meters (1,594 feet and composed of three connected terraces. Each terrace has a tower on top. What's more, the gate of the pass is not built on the middle but on the two side terraces.
Walking eastward from the pass will take visitors to the No.1 Watchtower. This 500-meter-section is considered to be a steep part of the wall.
The steps from Watchtower 19 to 20 are rather steep, with an angle of up to 70 degrees. However, visitors will be on top of the wall once at tower 20. The next watchtower in front is the well-known collapsed Jiankou Great Wall.
To descend the great wall, go to either Building No. 14 to take the cable car or No. 6 to take the zip wire at a cost of CNY 60 per person. Alternatively, walk down the wall.
Take shuttle No. 916 (Express) or 867 back to Beijing.
1. Wearing long pants rather than shorts even in hot summer. You are going to walk through jungles to reach the wall; so long pants can protect your legs.
2. Toilets can be found near the ticket office, parking lot, visitor's center, and north entrance. Along the wall, you can also find toilets near watchtowers 4, 8, and 14. Always remember to bring toilet paper with you!
3. Use Bus 916 (express) rather than 916, as the former one is one hour faster than the latter one, but the price is the same. After getting off bus 916 (express), you need to take a cab or a minibus to Mutianyu. The minibuses are actually private cars which are operated illegally, but these are the only way to get to Mutianyu. Remember to bargain with the driver and the cost can be no more than CNY 50 per cab one way. Get down the mountain by 16:30 or it is not easy to find a minibus to get back to 916 bus station.
4. Take your time and get down the mountain by 16:00 to catch bus 876 back to the city.
5. Bus 867 and 916 (express) stop at different places at Dongzhimen. From Exit B of Dongzhimen subway station, walk eastward along the Dongzhimenwai Street for 218 yards (200 meters) you will find the bus stop of 916 and 916 (express). Continue to walk 109 yards (100 meters), turn left and go northward for 500 meters, you will find the 876 bus stop.
More Great Wall Hiking Routes:
Badaling Hiking: Explore Badaling in one day
Simatai Exploration: One day hike tour to Simatai and Gubei Water Town
Huanghuacheng Hiking: One day hiking from Huanghuacheng
Jiankou Hiking: One day suggestion of Jiankou travel
Hiking to Huangyaguan: One day itinerary with tips
More Beijing Independent Itineraries:
Forbidden City Exploration: Visit the imperial palace from four different routes
Bike Tours: 13 choices of directions of riding a bike around the city
Science and Technology Study: Two day visit to science and technology sites
Recommended Routes including the visit to Mutianyu:
Beijing One Day Tour: Tiananmen Square - Forbidden City - Mutianyu
One Day Luxury: Mutianyu - Summer Palace (Temple of Heaven)
One Day Great Wall: Juyongguan - Badaling - Mutianyu