Pangong Tso Lake
Why is Pangong Lake blue? Actually, the color was made due to the different intensity of the sun and depth of the lake. The limpid water is so blue and looks like an opal in the earth. It mirrors the blue sky, white clouds and snowy mountains, forming a picturesque view. Its uniqueness is that the same lake has different characteristics in China and Kashmir: The water in China is clear and sweet, harboring a kind of freshwater fish without scales; but the water in Kashmir so salty that no creatures can survive. Why is Pangong Lake salty? Because there is much more water evaporated than supplied in the salty part.
How to get to Pangong Tso Lake
1. At Lhasa you can take a long-distance bus to Shiquanhe, costing CNY600-700. Upon arrival at Shiquanhe, you can take a direct bus to Rutog County, which is only around 12 kilometers (7.4 miles) from the destination. There you can rent a car for the rest of the journey. Or you can rent a car at Shiquanhe to reach the attraction directly.
2. Fly from Lhasa to Ngari, where you can rent a car to the attraction. On the way, you can also visit Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarova, Ruins of Guge Kingdom, Tholing Monastery etc.
Note: (1) To rent a car, it is suggested you turn to local travel agencies, as they generally offer acceptable charges.
(2) Generally speaking, you should rent an SUV if you are traveling to a remote areas as the road conditions can be a little tough.
Upon arrival at Pangong Tso Lake, you can rent a boat to Bird Island, which takes 30-40min.
|Opening Hours||8:00 - 16:00|
1. As well as the Tibet Entry Permit, you also need to apply for Border Permit for traveling as this destination lies near the Chinese territory boundary.
2. As the bird eggs are protected, it is forbidden to take any away.
3. Owing to the long distance and circuitous route, it is better to head for the attraction in the early morning and return early.
4. There are inns and restaurant near the lake, where you can have a rest and a bite to eat. you can also take a picnic if you like.
5. If it is sunny, you can also put up a tent for enjoyment.
6. The best time to visit Pangong Lake is May and September when visitors can view the birds.
7. As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along one or two pieces of thermal clothing.