Jiayuguan Travel Guide
Chinese Name: 嘉峪关 (jiā yù guān)
Area: 3,000 square kilometers
Nationalities: Han, Hui, Tibetan, Dongxiang, Yugu, Baoan, Hazake, Tu, Sala, Manchu, and Mongolian
Zip Code: 735100
Area Code: 0937
Location: Jiayuguan City is located at 98°17' east longitude and 39°47' north latitude. It lies in the Gobi desert, at the middle of Hexi Corridor, 776 kilometers away from Lanzhou and 5 - 6 hours away by bus from Dunhuang.
Administrative Division: three districts (Changcheng District, Xiongguan District, Jingtie District), eight sub-district offices (Wuyi, Xinhua, Qianjin, Shengli, Jianshe, Chaoyang, Yuyuan, Jingtieshan Diggings) and three towns (Yuquan, Wenshu, Xincheng).
Neighboring Areas: Shaanxi, Sichuan, and Qinghai provinces, Inner Mongolia, Ningxia Hui and Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Regions
The city culture is a combination of Great Wall and Silk Road. It boasts many historical relics referring to these two wonders. The famous ones include Jiayuguan Pass, the Overhanging Great Wall, the First Fire Tower of the Great Wall and Wei-Jin Art Gallery. Apart from these famous attractions, you can also find many other interesting places in this city, such as the famous July 1st Glacier (Qi Yi Bingchuan), Jiayuguan Museum and Jiayuguan Glider Base.
How to get to/around Jiayuguan
1. Jiayuguan Airport (JGA) is located 12km away from the city center. Passengers can easily take taxi or airport shuttle bus between the downtown city area and the airport. The airport offers flights to Lanzhou, Xi'an and Beijing.
2. The city has two passenger railway stations. Jiayuguan Railway Station mainly operates non-bullet trains to/from Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xi'an, etc. The South Railway Station is a stop along Lanzhou-Xinjiang High Speed Railway, operating high speed trains to/from Urumqi, Turpan, Kumul, Xining, Lanzhou, Jiuquan, Zhangye, etc.
See detailed Jiayuguan Railway Station, Jiayuguan South Railway Station, Jiayuguan - Lanzhou Train, Jiayuguan - Zhangye Train, Jiayuguan - Dunhuang Train, Xi'an - Jiayuguan Train
3. The long-distance bus station is located at the cross of Jingtiexi Road and Shenglinan Road. It provides bus daily traveling to Lanzhou, Dunhuang, Zhangye, Jiuquan, Hami, Urumqi, Jinchang, Yumen, Yinxia, Gaotai, etc.
4. Public bus is a convenient transport for traveling around the city. The bus fare is usually CNY1. Bus 1 is the south bound bus which heads from the centre of town to the train station. Bus 4 can take you from the train station to the the fort.
5. Most attractions in the city are available by taxi. The base fare of the taxi is CNY6 and CNY1.2 is charged per additional kilometer. The taxi fare can be bargain down if your travel journey is far.
Jiayuguan possesses a continental desert climate, warm and aridity with the frost-free period of 160 days. The average temperature is about 6.7C (44F) – 7.7C (18.1F) , of which the lowest temperature is -21C (-5.8F) in January and the highest is 34C (93F) in July. It has an annual precipitation of 100 millimeters, with rainfall concentrated in summer. The weather is sandstorm from March to May and strong wind from November to December.
When to Go: The most suitable time is from May to October, because the weather is the most favorable of the year at that period.
Jiayuguan Travel Tips
Local products: star jelly, Jiuquan Cup of phosphorescent jade, handcraft carpet, jiayu inkstone, camel's hair drawing
Local Highlights: Qinqiang Drama is popular in this place. When traveling there, you should not miss the performance of Qinqiang Drama.
I am planning a visit in late October. I would like to visit the poplar forests nearby for autumn colors. Any suggestions?