Yanbian Travel Guide
Full Name: Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture
Chinese Name: 延边朝鲜族自治州 (yán biān cháo xiǎn zú zì zhì zhōu)
Location: Situated in the east of Jilin Province, Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture is bordered by Russia in the east, and is separated by the Tumen River from North Korea. It is also adjacent to the Japanese Sea and separated from Japan and South Korea by the sea.
Area: 43,000 square kilometers (16,602 square miles)
Nationalities: Korean, Han
Administrative Division: 2 counties (Wangqing, Antu); 6 county-level cities (Yanji, Tumen, Dunhua, Huichun, Longjing, Helong)
Seat of the Prefecture Government: 759, Henan Jie, Yanji City
Bank of China: 107, Renmin Lu, Yanji City
China Post: 78, Renmin Lu, Yanji City
Useful Telephone Numbers:
Tourist Complaints: 0433-2710620
Weather Forecast: 121
Zip Code Inquiry: 184
Yanbian Attractions - Things to Do
It is the largest border city of Jilin, and the boundary line between China and North Korea is just in the middle of Tumen River Bridge. Hunchun is another important border city of the Province at the convergence of China, Russia and North Korea, and also a rising tourist city with beautiful natural sceneries. Fangchuan Village, which is 70 kilometers (43 miles) south of Hunchun City, is a place where visitors can have a broad view of the three countries.
It is located in Yanbian, which is famous for a giant Buddha Statue standing on its top, Ancient Tombs of Bohai Regime, and Ancestral Hall of the Qing Dynasty.
Mao'ershan National Forest Park
This park lies 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) south of Yanji City. There is a folk-custom park of Korean ethnic minority, through which visitors can have a further knowledge about Korean.
How to Get to Yanbian
1. Yanji Chaoyangchuan Airport stands 5 kilometers (3 miles) southwest of downtown Yanji, operating flights to Shanghai, Beijing, Qingdao, Yantai, Changchun, Shenyang, Dalian, Tanjin, Mudanjiang and Shenzhen. Additionally, it also operates direct international flight to Inchon of South Korea. The airport is expected to be the second largest airport of Jilin.
2. Changbaishan Airport is under construction. At present, Yanji Chaoyangchuan Airport is the nearest airport from the Changbai Mountain. Departing the Yanji Airport, it is still four hours' drive to the mountain.
3. Yanji is the furthest city from Changchu within the province. It will take eight hours by trains, and about nine hours by bus. Here are the main bus stations in the seat of the prefecture government, Yanji City:
Yanji central bus station: 109, Changbai Lu, Yanji City
The north station: 743, Aidan Lu, Yanji City
Bearing a temperate humid monsoon climate, Yanbian weather is characterized by four clear seasons. It is dry and windy in spring, while the autumn is cool and the winter is chilly. June to August is the rainy season of Yanbian. Its annual average temperature falls around 2-6C (35.6-42.8F). September 3rd is the birth day of Yanbian. During the festival, people there will gather among the sea of joy and happiness.
Yanbian Travel Tips
History: Before the Tang Dynasty (618-907), this region once belonged to the territory of Bohai Kingdom and Koguryo Kingdom successively. It was not until the early Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) that the court decided to seal the vast land north of Tumen River off from the external world because Changbai Mountain and its neighboring place are the birthplace of Manchu and the dynasty.
Local Highlights: This area is the largest resident community of the Korean ethnic minority. To experience the folklore of the local Koreans is definitely an unforgettable memory to Yanbian trips. In addition, traditional delicacies can not be missed, such as pickles, Korean style cold noodle. Apart from Chinese traditional festivals, the locals Koreans also have their unique festivals. Liutou Festival is one of them. At that day, people bring foods to the waterside, then have a bath and eat the foods to pray that the water can take away evils.
Or you can hire a car from Yanji Airport to the mountain, and it costs around CNY500.
We would appreciate it if anyone could tell us the transport from Changchun to Changbaishan (North area).
Should we go to YB or Changbaishan first from Changchun by public transport? How many days should we spend at Changbaishan?
As I heard, you can spend 4 days to have a total enjoy in the mountain.
1. What transportation can I take from either Yanji or YB into Tumen City (e.g., bus, taxi, car rental)?
2. If by bus - how frequent are the busses/day, what is the fare and how long does it take each way?
3. If by taxi - how much to pay and how long does it take each way each way?
4. How safe is this area for single visitors?
Thank you for your time and assistance.
You are suggested to take a train from Yanji West to Tumen, which is available from 7:03 to 20:28. And it takes CNY 11 for a 2nd class seat and CNY13.5 for a 1st class seat. It takes about 20 minutes.
How is it possible, while staying in Yanji, to make a daytrip to Fangchuan (where China, North Korea and Russia meet) with public transport ?