Yuanyang Rice Terraces
|Hani People, Yuanyang Rice Terraces |
Yuanyang Rice Terraces Photos
Yuanyang Rice Terraces Facts
Area: Over 113 square kilometers (28,005.3 acres)
Number of steps: 3,000 steps
Yuanyang Rice Terraces has been a masterpiece of the ingenuity of the Hani people for generations. Southern Ailao Mountain, with this typical tiered landscape, is famed for its unique frontier scenery.
The Hani people's ancestors came to this steep mountain area 2,500 years ago. In their struggle against the difficult terrain they successfully established the terraces, where they grew rice in order to make a living. The technology of developing fertile land on rugged mountain slopes didn't spread all over China and Southeast Asia until 14th century. The creativity of the Hani people turned this mountain area into one of artistic beauty. In recognition, the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) emperor granted the title of 'Skillful Sculptor' to Hani people and their good reputation was passed down from generation to generation. At present, known as 'land sculpture' the terraced fields have been being officially acknowledged by UNESCO as a World Cultural and Natural Heritage site.
|Yuanyang Rice Terraces, Honghe, Yunnan|
Hani terraced fields are magnificent and on a large-scale. They extend to many towns along the south bank of the Red River, such as Yuanyang, Lüchun and Jinping among others. With an area of more than 113 square kilometers (28,005.3 acres), the terrace in Yuanyang County is regarded as the core area of Hani terraces as the county is mountainous and the terraces built on the hillsides have a slope varying from 15 degrees to 75 degrees. The terraces rise by 3,000 steps forming a landscape that is rare both at home and abroad. In the main, the Yuanyang Hani terraces form three major scenic areas: Duoyishu scenic area, Bada scenic area and Laohuzui (the Tiger Mouth) scenic area. So many terraces set among vast forests, topped by an ocean of clouds create a magical, magnificent view.
Duoyishu Scenic Area
Bada Scenic Area
Laohuzui (the Tiger Mouth) Scenic Area
Best Time to Visit Yuanyang Rice Terraces
6 Days Kunming to Yuanyang Tour from $929
9 Days Tour to Kunming – Jianshui – Yuanyang – Hekou – Sapa – Hanoi from $1579
Other view points in Yuanyang County
2. Village architecture: the mushroom-like houses are undoubtedly the most distinctive, and can be seen throughout the county.
3. Long Dragon Feast: Held on 12th December lunar calendar. The Feast in Habo is most famous.
4. Clouds in the Xinjie Town: Due to the high altitude it is often shrouded in cloud and offers great scope to photographers.
5. Folk: In addition to outside terrace, Hani costumes and folklore are also good film subjects. There are Hani, Yao, Miao, Dai, Zhuang, Yi and other nationalities so that the locality has a very strong ethnic flavor.
1. Yuanyang lies on the Tropic of Cancer, so the climate is neither extremely hot nor cold. However, it is cooler in morning and evening, and the sun is very strong at noon. You should pay attention to sun protection. Moreover, T-shirts and shorts can be worn all year round, but you are advised to take a jacket.
2. It is very interesting to participate in a local country fair, during which the entire minority people dress in colorful ethnic costumes. It is very lively.
How to get to Yuanyang Rice Terraces
From Kunming to Yuanyang Rice Terraces, you can take a bus from South Bus Station to Yuanyang Xinjie Town and then hire a local car to each scenic spot. The buses depart at 10:20, 12:30 and 18:00.
|Entrance Fee||Day Ticket: CNY 100, single entry for each scenic spot within a day; |
Seven-day Ticklet: CNY 180, unlimited entry for each scenic spot included within the 7-day validity.
1. The ticket covers Duoyishu, Bada, Laohuzui Scenic Areas and Jingkou Folk Village.
2. Half-price ticket for children between 1.2 and 1.4m (3.9-4.6ft); free for children under 1.2m.
|Opening Hours||All day|
Top 10 Things to Do in Yunnan
Gabriel Yiu / Vancouver BC Canada
1) How can I hire a car after taking the bus from Kunming to Yuanyang?
2) How many days are recommended to stay here?
3) is it possible to walk or take a bus between all the scenic spots at Yuanyang?
2. 3-4 days will be fine, or you can stay longer.
3. Yes, the scenic area is so large that you can walk or take the car in it.
In Nov, is there a low season or peak season ...
How can I book my sleeper berth to Yuanyang Xinjie in the morning (or earlier in Guizhou)?
Is it possible around the Kunming Railway Station (travel agency?) or at the Kunming East Bus Station? Being time constraint, I would prefer avoiding booking at the Kunming South Bus Station.
Thank you in advance
Fabrice, French citizen, therefore not able to buy online
Is it possible to book a seat in the morning at the Eastern Bus Station (Kunming) for a bus leaving evening time from the Southern Bus Station?
Because I will be early morning time at the Eastern Bus Station for travelling to Shilin.
Is it possible to book a seat at the Eastern Bus Station (Kunming) for a bus which will leave from the Southern Bus Station? (bus Kunming South -> Xinjie)
May be, after booking the Xinjie bus at the South Bus Station, I will take a bus direct to the East Bus Station... if quicker than the metro ;-)