China Customs Declaration

China Customs of Beijing International Airport
Customs of Beijing International Airport
 What is the difference between the red channel and the green channel?

 Answer: They are two channels in China Customs. If you have nothing to declare, please take the green one, otherwise pass through the red one. When you are uncertain which one to take, choose the red one.

 How much US currency and Chinese RMB can I bring in?

 Answer: 5,000 US dollars (or equivalent in any foreign currency) or 20,000 CNY is permitted. If you have more than this amount, related documents will be needed and you need to declare to the customs.

 Do I need to declare my golden necklace which I am going to wear when traveling in China?

 Answer: According to the regulations, if gold, silver and the products made from them are less than 50g (2 ounce), they are duty-free and do not need to be declared. If the weight exceeds the limitation, you should declare it.

Green Channel and Red Channel
Green Channel and Red Channel

 What about the gold objects I have bought in China?

 Answer: All the receipts for valuable articles, such as jewelry, jade, gold and silver ornaments, handicrafts, artifacts, paintings and calligraphy that you buy in China should be kept for the exit check.

 How many cans of milk powder can I take to China?

 Answer: Milk powder of reasonable amount for personal use is duty-free and does not need to be declared. Usually, each visitor is allowed to take one box, containing 6 cans if each can is over 800g in weight, or 24 cans if each can is less than 800g. For the part exceeding the limit, you should declare it and pay the tax. The tax rate for infant milk powder is 5 percent.

 I’m traveling to China with my Iphone, Ipad, and MacBook. Do I need to declare them and pay the tax when I enter China? 

 Answer: You do not need to declare and pay the tax for your personal items, such as smart phone, tablet PC, laptop, and digital camera, if within reasonable quantity (one for each). However, if you are taking another brand new phone or laptop with the outer packing and instruction book as a gift for your friend in China, you should declare the new one and pay the tax.

 Are cigarettes and alcohol duty-free?

 Answer: up to 400 cigarettes or 100 cigars and up to 1.5 liters of alcoholic beverages (alcohol measure above 12 degrees) are duty-free either entering or exiting. More than the limited amount needs to be declared and a certain mount of duty needs to be paid.

 Can you give specific information about the things need to be declared?

 Answer: The followings need to be declared according to the China Customs Luggage Declaration Form when entering into China:
1. Any item that will be left in China whose value exceeds 2,000 CNY
2. More than 400 cigarettes or 100 cigars and 1.5 liters of alcoholic beverages (alcohol measure above 12 degrees)
3. Foreign currency greater than 5,000 US dollars or the equivalent, or 20,000 CNY
4. Animals and animal products, microorganism, biological products, human tissue, blood and blood products
5. Transceiver, communications devices.
6. Any items prohibited and limited according to the laws of the People's Republic of China
7. Luggage that need to be transported separately
8. Cargo, commercial samples, advertising items

The followings need to be declared according to the China Customs Luggage Declaration Form when exiting the country:
1. Foreign currency above 5,000 US dollars or equivalent, or 20,000 CNY
2. Gold, silver and other valuable items
3. Cultural relics, endangered animals and plants as well as their products, biological species resources  
4. Transceiver, communication devices.
5. Any items prohibited and limited according to the laws of the People's Republic of China
6. Cargo, commercial sample, advertising items

 Will I be punished if I did not declare the things that need to be declared?

 Answer: Yes. China Customs follows the regulation strictly. There is detailed information about what kind of things needed to be declare on the Declaration Form, so check your Custom Declaration Form carefully and make sure you complete it accurately. 

Note: Custom Declaration is quite a troublesome procedure. We strongly recommended that foreign travelers should ask in advance if you may have any problems concerning the regulations. You can consult your travel agency or the Custom Declaration office in the airport for help.

- Last modified on May. 06, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Customs Declaration
Asked by Ying from UNITES STATES | Jul. 14, 2019 01:12Reply
Is it okay to bring pip tobacco (loose tobacco used for pip smoking) as a gift?
If so is there a limit?
Answers (1)
Answered by Josiah from UKRAINE | Jul. 15, 2019 19:47

Yes, you can bring some. One passenger can take no more than 500g chewing tobacco without declaration.
Asked by Rebecca from USA | Jul. 12, 2019 21:50Reply
Can I bring my DVDs into China?
Answers (1)
Answered by Adrian from UKRAINE | Jul. 15, 2019 19:36

Yes, generally speaking, you can bring the DVDs in to the country.
Asked by Cory from USA | Jul. 11, 2019 04:56Reply
Can I bring a computer monitor for personal use?
Can I bring a 32 inch computer monitor in my checked baggage into China without declaring it? I will not be leaving it behind and will be taking it with me.
Answers (1)
Answered by Ciaran from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 11, 2019 18:27

In general, you can bring it. Don't worry.
Asked by Cat from UNITED STATES | Jul. 10, 2019 12:06Reply
Can i bring multi symptoms cold medicine (over the counter, so no prescription) to China?
Is it legal to bring over the counter cold medicine (similar to Tylenol) to China? Like around 120 pills?

I cannot find anywhere online where it shows any quantity limitations....does anyone know?
Answers (1)
Answered by Sincere from GERMANY | Jul. 11, 2019 18:30

Well, you are suggested to prepare the doctor's prescriptions. If not, you shouldn't bring that large amount.
Asked by Mike Bosley from COSTA RICA | Jul. 10, 2019 09:55Reply
Is each family member allowed to bring in 20,000 CNY?
Answers (1)
Answered by Olivia from DENMARK | Jul. 10, 2019 22:59

Yes, as I know, each passengers are allowed to bring in CNY 20,000.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)