Power Plugs / Sockets in China

Sockets in China
Sockets & Plugs

Voltage in China is 220V/50HZ

In Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, the common power voltage is 220 Volt 50 Hz AC, but in Taiwan, electronic devices often work with the electricity supply voltage of 110V/60HZ.

Is Outlet Adaptor Needed in China?

As the shapes of sockets and voltage vary among countries, a portable plug adaptor is usually necessary. It can be purchased in your local country from stores like Franzus or electronics stores such as RadioShack and Best Buy. Also you can buy it in China.

Chargers of most electronic devices like cell phones, tablets, and cameras can function normally in the wide power voltage of 110~240V. Most hotels ranking above 3 stars in China provide electrical outlets of both 110V and 220V in the bathrooms, though in guest rooms usually only 220V sockets are available.

What Power Sockets are Used in China?

There are two kinds of sockets widely used in Mainland China: type A and type I. The type A can also accept plugs of type C or F, which are commonly seen in most European countries.

Socket in China In China, this kind of outlets has two holes of the same shape and size. Plugs that match this socket are commonly used in US, Mexico, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Colombia, Thailand, Vietnam, Panama… But you should notice that there is a kind of two-blade plug with one end larger than the other. They can't be used in China without an adaptor.
Socket and Plug in China Countries like Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and Fiji use electronic devices of this plug shape. Sometimes, the blade at the top is missed, but it can still function safely in Mainland China.
Socket in Europe This kind of socket is widely seen in most European countries, like Russia, Germany, Denmark, Poland, Finland, France, Sweden, and Spain, as well as South Korea.

Sockets in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan

Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan use different socket types from the Mainland China. In Hong Kong, British Standard outlets, also known as type G, are widely used. People coming from countries like UK, Ireland, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Maldives, Nigeria, and Uganda can charge most of their electronic devices without an adaptor in Hong Kong. Type C or F is the universal socket in Macau while the plug shapes of type B can be well compatible with the outlets in Taiwan.

Socket in Hong Kong
Type G used in Hong Kong
Socket in Macau
Type C & F used in Macau
Socket in Taiwan
Type B used in Taiwan

Electricity Voltage around the World

Over 30 countries including those in North America use a voltage of 110V~130V, while another 120 countries including most of Europe use a voltage of 220V~230V. The following list shows electricity voltage of countries around the world for your reference:

Argentina 220V/50HZ Australia 240V/50HZ
Belgium 230V/50HZ Brazil 110-220V/60HZ
Britain 230V/50HZ Burma 230V/50HZ
Canada 120V/60HZ Cuba 120V/60HZ
Denmark 230V/50HZ Egypt 220V/50HZ
Finland 230V/50HZ France 230V/50HZ
Germany 230V/50HZ Greece 230V/50HZ
Hungary 230V/50HZ India 230V/50HZ
Indonesia 220V/50HZ Italy 230V/50HZ
Japan 100V/50-60HZ Malaysia 240V/50HZ
Mexico 127V/60HZ Netherlands 230V/50HZ
New Zealand 240V/50HZ Portugal 230V/50HZ
Russia 220V/50HZ Saudi Arabia 127V-220V/60HZ
Singapore 230V/50HZ South Africa 220V/50HZ
South Korea 220V/60HZ Spain 230V/50HZ
Sri Lanka 230V/50HZ Sweden 230V/50HZ
Switzerland 230V/50HZ Thailand 220V/50HZ
Turkey 220V/50HZ Vietnam 220V/50HZ
U.S.A. 120V/60HZ
- Last modified on Aug. 24, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on Power Plugs / Sockets in China
Asked by phillip t powell from USA | Jul. 10, 2019 10:03Reply
I have a tea maker that I brought to the U.S. from China.
I have an adapter but it still does not work. It comes on and then shuts off immediately. Do I also need a converter. it is 220 volts. Also hair dryer same question.
Answers (2)
Answered by Selah from GERMANY | Jul. 11, 2019 18:35

Yes, you also need a converter.
Answered by Michael from ISRAEL | Aug. 24, 2019 00:37

You need to step up the 115 VAC in the USA to 220 VAC to match the required power of your tea maker. A cheap solid-state converter can STEP DOWN the voltage from 220 VAC to 115 VAC, but no the opposite. You need a step-up transformer, NOT a "voltage converter." Depending on the power required, the transformer can be more expensive than tea maker. You should probably buy a new one in the USA.
Asked by Murtaza from BANGLADESH | Jul. 08, 2019 19:31Reply
Traveling from USA to Bangladesh
In Bangladesh, we use 220V/50Hz. My Iron that i brought from USA has a rating of 120V/ 60 Hz and 1200W. I found an adapter from Amazon which will work in china as well. However, it is also written on the body of that adapter that "it is not a voltage adapter, ......make sure the voltage of the devices matches with the outlet" So will this adapter work for me?
Answers (2)
Answered by Ava from FINLAND | Jul. 09, 2019 19:06

Well, I don't think so. In order to be sure, you are suggested to contact the seller and confirm this.
Answered by Murtaza from BANGLADESH | Jul. 09, 2019 20:03

It will not work because it's not a power converter. However, I got a power converter, which will convert 220V to 110V.
Asked by KAYLEY from AUSTRALIA | Jul. 05, 2019 05:05Reply
Coming from Australia to China. Do I need to bring a travel adaptor?
Answers (1)
Answered by Jocelyn from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 07, 2019 20:56

No, you don't need to bring a adaptor.
Asked by RDX from UNITED KINGDOM | Jun. 16, 2019 01:57Reply
UK-China plug adaptor in Australia

I am from the UK and have a UK-China adaptor to use my UK appliances in China. Can I use this same adaptor for travelling to Australia (i.e. use it for my UK appliances in Australia)?

Answers (1)
Answered by Chloe from UNITED KINGDOM | Jun. 18, 2019 19:24

The Australia ones are suitable for China. However, you cannot use the UK appliances in Australia directly. The UK-China plug adaptor will be fine.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)