Pingyao City Wall
City Wall of Pingyao in the Ancient City, which is among the "Three Treasures" of the county together with Zhenguo Temple and Shuanglin Temple, is rated highest. Although there were repeated renovations, the city wall is still in a very good condition.
With a total length of six kilometers (about four miles), the Pingyao City Wall is about 12 meters (about 40 ft) tall and 3 to 6 meters (about 10-20 ft) wide on top. The wall is of compacted earth covered by bricks and stones. From a bird's eye view the rectangular wall resembles a tortoise.
There are six city gates, one each on the north and south walls, and two each on the west and east walls. The south gate is the head of the tortoise, the two wells outside being the two eyes of tortoise. The north gate, the lowest place of the city, is the tail of tortoise. Traditionally the tortoise was considered a symbol of longevity, so through ancient times the hopes were that the Ancient City would be permanently secure. There are 72 watchtowers on the top of Pingyao City Wall and 3,000 external battlements. It is said that the 72 watchtowers represent 72 people of great wisdom, the 3,000 battlements the 3,000 disciples of Confucius.
How to get to Pingyao City Wall
2. Take a bus from Taiyuan Jiannan Bus Station to Pingyao at 8:00, 8:10, 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning.
3. Take bullet train at Taiyuan South Railway Station to Pingyao Ancient City Railway Station. Upon arrival, take a taxi to the city wall within 15mins or take bus no. 108 to Beimenkou and then walk to the city wall.
|Admission Fee||Visitors can buy a combo ticket at the cost of CNY 125, covering the admission fee for 22 small attractions including the City Wall. |
Free for children under 1.2m (3.9 feet).
See attractions covered by the combo ticket.
|Opening Hours||Mar. - Nov.: 8:00 - 18:00 |
Dec. - Feb.: 8:00 - 17:30
2 Days Pingyao Tour from $259
Xi'an City Wall Nanjing City Wall
1. hire taxi and go to Wang's or Qiao's compound and the fare?
2. Arrive to one of the compounds around 7:30 and allow for visit 2 to 3 hrs.
3. start going back to PY around 10:30-11:00
4. Arrive in PY around noon time and probably rent a bike and see the City Walls, Ming-Qing Street, and other attractions nearby.
5. Need to catch the train 16:38 from PY Gucheng Railway Station to Xi'an