Jingdezhen Travel Guide
Chinese Name: 景德镇市 (jǐng dé zhèn shì)
Urban Population: 500,000
Total Area: 5,256 square kilometers
Zip Code: 333000
Area Code: 0798
Location: It is situated on the eastern bank of the Yangtze River. It lies between 116°57′-117°42′ east longitude and 28°44′-29°56′ north latitude.
Neighboring Areas: Wuyuan County, Zhejiang, Fujian, Guangdong, Hunan, Hubei, and Anhui
Administrative Division: one city (Leping City), one county (Fuliang County) and two districts (Zhushan District and Changjiang District)
Jingdezhen is located near to many famous natural attractions including Mt. Huang, Mt. Lu, Mt. Jiuhua, Mt. Sanqing, Mt. Longhu, Mt. Wuyi as well as Poyang Lake and Qiandao Lake. More than 30 ceramics historical ruins have been found in the city, such as the famous ancient ceramic material producing area of Kaolin, the ruin of Hutian ancient kiln and the ruin of the royal kilns in the Ming and Qing Dynasty. There are also many landscapes and sights in the city, such as Ceramic History Museum, Jingdezhen Old Street and Longzhu Pavilion.
Recommended Tour Information: Hiking Adventure
How to get to/around Jingdezhen
1. Jingdezhen Luojia Airport is located at Luojia Village, Hongyuan Town, Fuliang County. It is about 6km away from the downtown area. It offers daily direct flights to Beijing, Shanghai, Wenzhou, Shenzhen, Nanjing, Xiamen, Guangzhou, etc. Passengers can also take flights from the airport to Chengdu, Kunming, Xian, Haikou, Sanya, Nanning, Beihai, Zhanjiang and other cities via Shenzhen.
2. There are train services from Jingdezhen Railway Station to other cities, such as Nanchang, Nanjing, Guangzhou, Yangzhou, Kunming, Fuzhou, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Qingdao and Beijing.
3. There are three long-distance bus stations in the city, including the South Long-distance Bus Station, East Long-distance Bus Station and West Long-distance Bus Station. You can find daily buses from those bus stations to Nanchang, Hangzhou, Jiujiang, Hefei, Ningbo, Shenzhen, Wenzhou, Shanghai, Changsha, Wuhan, Ningbo, Guangzhou, Wuhan, etc.
4. There are more than 30 local bus routes within the urban district. The majority of the buses run until 18:30, though a few run until 21:30 or 22:00.
5. The taxi fare within the city is CNY6 (Daytime)/CNY7 (Nighttime) for the first three kilometers and then CNY1.4 (CNY1.7 from 23:00~05:00) per additional kilometer.
When to Go: The ideal time to go the city is in the fall due to the comfortable climate.
Jingdezhen Travel Tips
Physical Features: Situated in a mountainous area, the topography of Jingdezhen changes from the north-east to the south-west. Most areas in north-east and north-west are dominated by mountains, while the areas in south-east and south-west are dominated by hills of only 200 meters. Chang River and Le'an River cross the region from north to south.
History: Known as the "porcelain city" since the Song dynasty, it has a long history of over 1,700 years of porcelain making. During the Spring and Autumn Period (770 BC - 476 BC), it was originally situated to the east of Chu boundary. Then it became a town under Jiujiang County of the Qin Dynasty (221 BC - 207 BC). It was called Poyang County during the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220). Jingdezhen got its present name from the Song Dynasty (960 – 1279) when blue and white porcelain was produced in this area.
Local Highlights: Jingdezhen international ceramics festival is an important festival which has already taken place more than 10 times since 1990. It plays an important role in the international ceramics scene.