Wuyuan Travel Guide
|Click to enlarge it, |
or go for more Wuyuan Map
Chinese Name: 婺源 (wù yuán)
Honorary Title: The Most Beautiful Countryside in China
Area: 2,948 square kilometers (1,138 square miles)
Population: 362,200 (2011)
Location and Geographical Feature: Located in the northeast corner of Jiangxi Province in east China, Wuyuan County neighbors Jingdezhen to the west, Quzhou to the east, Yellow Mountain to the north, and Mt. Sanqingshan to the south. Undulating hills descend from the higher northeast part to the lower southwest.
Administrative Division: Belonging to Shangrao City of Jiangxi, it has one residential district, ten towns, and six villages.
Seat of Government: No.1 Rancheng Road
Local Highlights - Things to Do
1. Ancient Huizhou Architectures and Rich Cultural Heritage:
Having stood for more than 1,000 years, Wuyuan County was first set up in 740 during the Tang Dynasty (618-907). It is an essential part of the ancient Huizhou Culture, with a series of ancient villages retaining the typical Huizhou residences, mansions of historical celebrities, ancestral halls, and antique gallery bridges. Many scholars and talented people in history leave the country with a deep cultural legacy.
2. Natural Wonder - Paradise of Rape Flowers
The breathtaking scenery of an immense sea of golden rape flowers in spring gains Wuyuan a reputation of ‘the most beautiful countryside in China’. Every March numerous tourists swarm to the small town, just for a look of the harmonious beauty like a traditional Chinese painting, with green hills and valleys, karst caves, limpid streams, canola terraces, and exquisite houses. Other spring blossom and the autumn foliage also add natural charm to the town.
Rape Flowers Sightseeing Guide
Tour Routes and Top Attractions
After visiting the Wuyuan Museum in the downtown, tourists should head for the beautiful countryside. There are three major tour routes. The east and north lines are popular, while the west line has less visitors.
Congxi Driftage → Sixi & Yancun Villages → Changtan Village → Rainbow Bridge (in Qinghua Town)
When arriving in Qinghua Town, tourists can choose from the following three branches:
a. Wolong Valley of Dazhang Mountain → Ancestral Hall of Huang Village → Jujing Village → Lingyan Cave Forest Park → Shicheng Village
b. Hong Village → Qingfeng Cave → Camphor Tree Folk Garden
c. Zheyuan Country → Hongguan Village → Likeng Village (Big Likeng)
Wengong Mountain → Kengtou Village → Fuchun Ancient Town → Mandarin Duck Lake → Jinshan Ecological Tea Garden → Changxi Village → Fengyou Mountain
How to get to Wuyuan?
1. Air: There is no airport in the county. If coming by plane, tourists can choose to arrive at Jingdezhen Airport, Huangshan Airport, Nanchang Airport, or Quzhou Airport first, and then take a bus to the county.
2. Train: Beijing - Fuzhou High Speed Railway, with a stop in Wuyuan, is regarded as ‘the most beautiful high speed railway in China’. Travelers can take trains to this county from many cities in east and south China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Huangshan, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Nanchang, Hefei, Jinan, Qingdao, Tianjin, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen.
See detailed Wuyuan Train Schedule and Station
3. Long-Distance Bus: Jingdezhen, Shangrao, Quzhou, Yingtan, Jiujiang, Huangshan, and Nanchang in Jiangxi Province and nearby areas have frequent shuttles to the county. Shanghai, Hangzhou, Wuhan, and Guangzhou also have through buses.
How to get around?
The Bus Station in the downtown has buses to the villages along the three tour routes. One can also hire a taxi or rent a car to the scenic spots. Remember to negotiate the price with the driver before boarding a car. There are also motorbikes run by the local villagers, but they are not recommended for safety. Cycling is a good choice to explore deep into the beautiful villages, while in some remote areas with secluded scenery but bumpy roads, hiking is the best and only way to get a close contact with nature.
The best time to visit is from March to April, when the rape flowers are in full bloom. August to October is a good time to see the unique scene of "Dry Crops in Autumn", while November and December are the right months to appreciate the fiery maple leaves.
Wuyuan Travel Tips
Zip Code: 333200
Bank of China: No.1, Dongxi Road
Post Office: No. 1, Tianyou Road, Ziyang Town
People Hospital: No. 17, South Wengong Road
Useful Telephone Numbers: Police: 110; Fire: 119; Ambulance: 120; Traffic: 122; Weather Forecast: 121; Tourist Complaint: 0793-7343605
Another question not related to wuyuan. Pl, tell me how to get to Hongcun from Hangzhou, what time does it take?
Which is the suitable time to see yellow leaves in wuyuan? Thanku so much
2. Take a high speed train from Hangzhou East to Huangshan North and then take a bus to Hongcun. It takes about 2 hours to Huangshan North and 1.5 hours from the railway station to Hongcun.
3. October is the best time to see fallen leaves.
Have a nice journey!