Home / Tips / Facts /

Dual Nationality

 What is dual nationality?

 Answer: It is a way that allows a citizen to have two nationalities of both his motherland and another country at the same time.

 Is dual nationality admitted in the world?

 Answer: Many countries and regions in the world admit and respect it, including the United States, United Kingdom, France, Canada and Australia. Most countries do not think that a citizen will lose his nationality of his homeland if he succeeds in gaining another country's nationality.

 Does China admit dual nationality?

 Answer: China does not recognize dual nationality. The Article 3 of China Nationality Law holds that the country will not admit the dual nationality of a Chinese citizen. Moreover, the Article 9 of that law declares that as soon as a Chinese takes a foreign citizenship, he will automatically lose his Chinese citizenship.

 Why does China refuse to recognize dual nationality?

 Answer: There are mainly two reasons to set up a nationality regulation that is totally different from that of many other countries in the world.
First, Chinese Nationality Law has its special historical background. After 1949, many doubts and troubles were caused in some countries especially those in Southeast Asia by a lot of overseas Chinese with dual citizenship. It was a misunderstanding but did harm to the ties between China and some countries.
Second, unique nationality is in consideration of the loyalty of a citizen to his country and the administration of citizens. And it is easier for precise judgment in law cases.

 Who can be regarded as a Chinese citizen?
 Answer: Anyone having any of the following characteristics is regarded as a citizen of China:
1. Persons belonging to any of the nationalities in China;
2. Any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national;
3. Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals, or one parent who is a Chinese national;
4. Any person born in China whose parents are stateless, or of uncertain nationality, and have settled in China.

 Is it easy to apply for a Chinese citizenship?

 Answer: To be honest, it is quite hard. However, if you want to stay in China for a long time, you can try to apply for an Aliens' Permanent Residence. As for the details about its requirements, please refer to our Permanent Residence Permit page.

- Last updated on Mar. 19, 2023 -
Questions & Answers on Dual Nationality
Asked by Ji Li from ECUADOR | Feb. 16, 2023 13:24Reply
Born in China, Adopted & brought to USA
I was born in China and lived in an orphanage for a year. I then got adopted by people from the US and they changed my nationality to US. How hard would it for me to go back to China with US nationality but born in China. I have certificate and papers from adoption agency.
Answers (2)
Answered by Ji Li | Feb. 16, 2023 13:24

For long term staying in China/Southeast Asia
Answered by Irene | Feb. 16, 2023 18:01

In your case, you may try to adopt for a Q visa to enter China and stay relatively long.
Asked by Davida from USA | Feb. 09, 2023 07:32Reply
Get Chinese passport
My husband is Chinese and lives in China, and he wants me to get a Chinese passport. However, I'm a US American. Is that even possible? Am I able to keep my passport and get a Chinese passport?
Answers (1)
Answered by Frank | Feb. 12, 2023 18:13

It's not possible. China does not adopt dual nationality policy.
Asked by TAYLOR from UNITED STATES | Jan. 19, 2023 14:19Reply
My son was born in China. I got him a US Passport. Can I exit China with his US passport to America?
Answers (2)
Answered by Lisa | Jan. 19, 2023 17:23

You need to get a certificate for your son before leaving China at the local entry and exit administration office.
Answered by TT | Mar. 19, 2023 23:13

Could you elaborate on the type of certificate? My son was born in China and has both passports. He has a US passport and citizenship but it has never been used. Previously we were allowed to obtain a travel visa for his Chinese passport along with his US citizenship. But now that it's expired I don't know which route to go.
Asked by Mathieu from FRANCE | Jun. 01, 2021 20:09Reply
Child born abroad
Hello :)

I'm french and my wife is chinese.
We both live in Japan.

We are going to have our first child next month, and we are wondering about his Nationality, as the baby will born in Japan.
He won't be japanese for sure.
But we are wondering if he can have both nationalities until 18 years old, or if we must choose either French or Chinese right now, before the birth ?

To get resident card as well as to be able to travel to see our families, he will need a passport so we must know about this point.

Thanks in advance :)
Answers (4)
Answered by Joan | Jun. 06, 2021 18:51

I am afraid that you need to choose the French or Chinese after the birth.
Answered by John | Sep. 22, 2021 20:04

if the the parents apply for citizenship for both China and France, is their a penalty?
Answered by theoracle | Sep. 27, 2021 18:01

Article 9 says Chinese citîzenshíp automatically lost once ýou ädopt another country.
Answered by Mike | Oct. 27, 2021 22:46

The issue is, you lose it if you voluntarily get another passport. The child didn’t voluntarily get a second passport. It was given automatically at birth.
Asked by Yaseen from UAE | Jan. 30, 2021 01:14Reply
UAE/Chinese with Chinese mother
Hi! I was born in China and my mother is Chinese, I hold the UAE passport, can I get the Chinese passport and hold dual citizenship? I know China will only recognize the Chinese passport but I’m totally ok with that. Im just wondering if I can have two official passport.
Answers (1)
Answered by Emma | Jan. 31, 2021 17:27

No, I am afraid that you cannot have two official passports at the same time.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)