Museum of the Western Han Dynasty Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
|Nanyue King Mausoleum Museum|
The owner of the tomb is the second king, Zhao Mei of Nanyue State of the Western Han Dynasty (206 B.C.-24 A.D.). Hidden 20 meters (65.6 feet) underground, the tomb is made up of 750 huge stones with colorful murals. The over 1,000 pieces of cultural relics, bronze ware and terra cotta ware in particular, feature the Yue Culture of south China(Nanyue Culture). Represented also are traces of central Chinese culture, the Chu culture of south China, the Bashu culture of southwest China, the Hun culture from the northern grassland, and even foreign cultures.
|Jade burial suit|
In addition, three sets of bronze serial bells, thirty-six bronze vessels, thirty-six bronze mirrors, and three gold seals give visitors a glimpse of the ancient Nanyue Culture. The oldest and largest folding screen used in China is also here, as are two of the world's oldest bronze patterns for textile stamping.
Foreign articles excavated in the mausoleum indicate that Guangzhou was an ancient Marine Silk Road starting point. For example, there are five African elephant trunks, a silver box featuring Western Asian silver wares, and bronze incense burners and frankincense from Southeast Asia.
1. Take bus 5, 7, 42, 180, 186, 211 or 543 and get off at Jiefang Beilukou Station.
2. Take bus 5, 7, 21, 24, 42, 58, 58A, 87, 101, 103, 105, 108, 109, 110, 123, 124, 180, 182, 186, 211, 244B, 244, 244A, 256, 265, 273, 284, 519, 528, 543, 555 or 556 and get off at Yuexiu Park Station.
Take Subway Line 2 to Yuexiu Park and then get out from Exit E. Turn right and walk about 100 meters to it.
Guangzhou Bus / Subway Search
|Admission Fee:||CNY 12 |
* There is a combo ticket for Museum of the Western Han Dynasty Mausoleum of the Nanyue King, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and Guangzhou Museum, which costs CNY 25 per person.
* Visitors can get free entry to the museum on Wednesday of the third week in each month as well as the second Saturday of June (National Cultural Heritage Day).
The admission fee drops to CNY 10 during 2016 Spring Festival Holiday (Feb. 7 to 13), May Day Holiday (May 1 to 3) and National Day Holiday (Oct. 1 to 7).
|Opening Hours:||9:00 to 17:30 (Stop selling ticket at 16:45) |
* The museum is closed on Feb. 28th and Aug. 31th.
|Museum Guide Service:||1. The museum provide guides, charging CNY50 every time. |
2. Audio guide (English, Japanese, French, Germany, Spanish) is available, costing CNY10 per person. Refundable deposit of CNY200 is necessary.