The historical exhibition of Guangzhou Museum is housed in a five-story building named Zhenhai Tower (Sea Guard Tower), which dates back to 1380. Zhenhai Tower is 28 meters (92 feet) high and 31 meters (102 feet) wide. It has been destroyed and rebuilt five times and was changed from a wooden structure to reinforced concrete in 1928. The reddish-brown bricks and grey tiles made the building primitively simple and unique. At the front of the building, there is a pair of two-meter-high stone lions in red sandstone made in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
The tower houses nearly a thousand pictures, data and other exhibits on history of the city's history. Those collections display the changes of culture, custom and city developments. Walking into it, you can see a geographical model and a diagram of the ancient Guangzhou city at the first floor. On the second floor, there are historical relics (4000 BC - 589 AD) and unearthed remains of the Neolithic Age. When you come to the third floor, you can look around the historical relics of Sui, Tang, Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties. The fourth floor mainly exhibits plentiful historical relics of the Qing Dynasty (1644 - 1911). Modern Chinese cultural relics since the Opium War (1840 - 1842) are displayed on the fifth floor. Besides, there are also special showrooms at the east side of the tower where all kinds of temporary or memorable special exhibitions are often held. At the west side, there is a barbette with cannon on it and 23 ancient stone tablets.
To the east of the Zhenhai Tower lies the Art Gallery ofGuangzhou Museum. Zhongyuan Tower, the major building of the museum, was built in 1930 and imitated the architectural style of the Hall of Literary Glory in the Forbidden City in Beijing. There are two exhibition halls – one in front of the Zhongyuan Tower and the other to the east - housing steles representing masterpieces of Chinese calligraphy from the Jin Dynasty to the Qing Dynasty.
The Art Gallery
Besides the Zhenhai Tower and the Gallery, Guangzhou Museum offers another two exhibition areas (Sanyuanli Revolution Memorial Hall and Site of Headquarters of Mar. 29 Uprising) for special interest in the city’s revolutionary history. There are also some other popular nearby spots which you can visit if you have extra time. White Cloud Mountain with great natural scenery is only 2.1 kilometers (about 1.3 miles) from the Guangzhou Museum. About 4.9 kilometers (about 3 miles) away lies the South China Botanical Garden.
Sanyuanli Revolution Memorial Hall & Site of Headquarters of Mar. 29 Uprising
How to get to Guangzhou Museum
How to get to Yuexiu Park
Take metro line 2, get off at Yuexiu Park Station, get out from Exit B1 and walk around 180 meters (200 yards) toward north to find the gate of Yuexiu Park.
1. Take bus 5, 7, 21, 24, 58a, 180, 182, 211, 256, 265, 284, 528, 543, 555, 556, or Guang 42 to Yuexiu Gongyuan (Yuexiu Park) Station, and then enter the front gate of the park. Follow the guideboard to find the museum.
2. Take bus 56 to Jiefang Beilu, and then walk 200 meters (656 yards) and enter the west gate of the park.
3. Take bus 58, 85, 103, 105, 109, 273, or tour bus line 1 to Panfulu and then you will see the park.
1. Take metro line 2, get off at Sanyuanli Station and get out from Exit B. Then walk around 500 meters (550 yards) from Guangyuan West Road to Guangyuan Middle Road to find the memorial hall.
How to get to Sanyuanli Revolution Memorial Hall
2. Take bus 46, 175, 179, 241, 278, 470, 540, 661, or 752 to Sanyuanli Gumiao.
Take bus 2, 56, 62a, 62, 74, 85, 204, 209, 229, 261, 297, 305, b3c, b3, b4a, b4 express, Guang 276, or Guang 283 to Dongfeng Zhonglu and then walk south for 2 minutes to get there.
How to get to Site of Headquarters of Mar. 29 Uprising
Guangzhou Bus / Metro Search
|Entrance Fee||CNY 10 ( Zhenhai Tower and Art Gallery); |
CNY 32 for a combo ticket including Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, Museum of the Western Han Dynasty Mausoleum of the Nanyue King and Guangzhou Museum.
* Visitors can visit the museum for free on Wednesday of the third week in each month except in June. On the second Saturday of June (National Cultural Heritage Day), visitors can enjoy the free ticket.
|Opening Hours||09:00 - 17:30, tickets selling stops at 17:00 (closed on Mondays)|
|Guide Service||The museum offers English guide service at a price of CNY 60 for less than 30 persons (CNY 4 for every extra person).|
Other museum in Guangzhou: Guangdong Museum
Museum of the Western Han Dynasty Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall
Top 10 Things to Do in Guangzhou
- Last modified on Sep. 26, 2018 -