- 1 Day Tours
- Beijing 2 Day Tour
- 3 Days Sightseeing
- 4 Days Best Beijing
- 5 Days with Hutong
- 1 Week Beijing Xian
- 1 Week Beijing Shanghai
- 1 Day Tours to Xian Terracotta Warriors
2 Days Independent Jiankou Great Wall Tour
Located in Huairou District, Beijing, Jiankou Great Wall shapes like a "w" as if an arrow with a bow, so it is called Jiankou. The whole Great Wall is built on steep mountain ridges. Unlike Badaling and Mutianyu Great Walls which are easy to tour with paved road, the Jiankou section is wild and undeveloped. Due to the disrepair and exposure to wind and sunshine for years, most parts of Jiankou Great Wall have cracked and collapsed which is full of dilapidated walls and overgrown with weeds. And some places have almost been vertical precipices without any supporting points. Besides, there are also many abrupt slopes composed of soil and rubble. Although the scenery is splendid, it is also very dangerous. Therefore, Jiankou Great Wall tour is not recommended for people who do not have rich climbing experience and courage. Badaling and Mutianyu are well-maintained sections of the Great Wall, allowing you to feel the magnificence without worrying about the safety. For travelers like outdoor hiking, Jinshanling Great Wall is also a nice choice. If you want to know more about Jiankou Great Wall, we are glad to offer the following information for your reference.
1. Some parts of Jiankou Great Wall are very hazardous, so it is not advisable to climb alone. It would be better for more than three companions to travel so that you can help each other.
2. In some unfamiliar or high-risk places, you are suggested to follow a guide or an experienced leader.
3. Do pay highly attention and take care in the whole climbing process.
4. Be sure to take safety measures. The rope and safety buckle are necessary so that you won't fall down.
5. Overgrown with shrubs, Jiankou Great Wall has only one narrow path allowing one person to walk on. So remember to wear the hard-wearing coats and pants. In addition, sports sunglasses and UV-resistant goggles are suggested.
6. Travel with light pack but bring enough water, fruit and high-calorie snacks.
7. A first-aid package is necessary. It does not only refer to the band-aids. It includes medical facilities like painkillers, hemostatics, bandages, etc.
8. Make full preparations before climbing. Do not do things beyond your ability. If there is any danger, call the police in time. It is advisable to buy the travel accident insurance including the accident rescue.
9. The best travel time is from June to October.
Day 01: Take bus line 916 at Dongzhimen, transfer to bus 862 and get off at Yujiayuan. Then take bus H25 to Xizhazi Cun. After checking in a hostel, climb the north line of Jiankou Great Wall to see the Sky Stairs, Eagle Flies Facing Upward and Beijing Knot. Then go back and have a rest.
Day 02: Get up early to hike the south line, touring the Jiankou Spot, Tiny Potala Palace and Zhengbei Tower. Return to the village and take the bus leaving at 13:15 to Yujiayuan. Change to bus line 862 and 916 back to Beijing.
For planning a Jiankou Great Wall tour, you need to arrive at Xizhazi Village at first, and start to go hiking the Great Wall from here. As for the way from downtown Beijing to Xizhazi Village, you need to get to Huairou District first, and then transfer to the destination.
1. Take bus line 916 from Dongzhimen Bus Hub Station to Yingbinglu with a duration of 70 minutes.
2. Cross the street to transfer to bus line 862 and get off at Yujiayuan. There are two stops called Yujiayuan and you are supposed to get off at the second one.
3. Then go to Xizhazi by bus H25 (Xizhazi Village Special Line). The buses depart from Yujiayuan at 11:30 & 16:30 every day and go back from Xizhazi at 06:30 & 13:15. The whole journey takes around an hour via 19 stops, with a cost of CNY8/person.
Friendly Tips: Jiankou Great Wall is free of charge, but if entering from Xizhazi Village, you need to pay CNY 20 for admission to Xizhazi Ecological Sightseeing Park.
Located close to Jiankou Great Wall, Xizhazi Village has been the base camp for tourists. Different uphill paths in the village lead to Zhengbei Tower, Jiankou Spot, Sky Stairs, West Wall, and Nine-Eye Tower separately. Visitors to go sightseeing or take pictures always accommodate here. The most famous lodging is the Zhao's Villa whose owner's surname is Zhao. After arriving at the parking lot of Xizhazi Village, you will see the "Family for photographers" on the wall of this villa.
Day 01: Xizhazi Village - Sky Stairs - Eagle Flies Facing Upward - (Beijing Knot) - Xizhazi Village
Climb the Great Wall from the path to the right of Zhao's Villa. Then go clockwise along the Great Wall to Sky Stairs. Afterwards, you will be close to the most dangerous vantage point, Eagle Flies Facing Upward. After passing it, go back to the village through a path. If you are still energetic, you can also continue northwards to Beijing Knot from Eagle Flies Facing Upward and then return. The route covers the steepest parts of Jiankou Great Wall. Sky Stairs is an abrupt slope with an angle of 70 degrees. It is 70 - 80 meters (76.5 - 87.5 yards) long with the narrowest part only 60 centimeters (23.5 inches) in width. The stairs are 40 - 50 centimeters (15.5 - 19.5 inches) high and 15 centimeters (6 inches) wide. In Eagle Flies Facing Upward, there is a part falling down upright. So travelers need to make a detour. The steep downhill way makes it hard for travelers to stand without holding on to the branches.
Day 02: Xizhazi Village - Jiankou Spot - Tiny Potala Palace - Zhengbei Tower - Xizhazi Village
Tour the Great Wall from Jiankou Spot in the morning, and then go eastward to Tiny Potala Palace, Zhengbei Tower and go back finally. Compared to the route of the first day, it is less difficult since this section has been conquered through exploration of long time. Quite a lot travelers can finish it. The whole trip needs about 4 hours. If you go further east after passing Zhengbei Tower, you will reach Mutianyu Great Wall via Ox Horn Edge. Those who are interested in hiking to the Mutianyu section can make preparations and plan in advance.
More Independent Beijing 2 Days Tours:
Jinshanling Great Wall: set out an exciting hiking on well-perserved Jinshanling Great Wall
Huanghuacheng Great Wall: enjoy the unique landscape of "the Great Wall in water"
Shanhaiguan & Beidaihe: know about the history of Shanhaiguan and relax at Beidaihe seaside