Style: Sichuan (Szechuan) Cuisine
Characteristics: Home-style Tofu is soft in texture and the flavor is quite fresh. As the tofu is fried in advance, the dish looks golden red in color. Cooking with this recipe results in a salty and spicy dish.
Home-style Tofu is a popular dish throughout China among all ages. It is loaded with nutrition, especially protein, and its main ingredient – tofu is reasonably priced all year round. A common accompaniment to this dish is rice, so it has been welcomed by housewives as a way to treat their guests to some real homestyle cooking.
Recipe of Cooking Home-style Tofu
firm tofu, 300g; 3-4 dry black fungus;
half of red pepper; half of green pepper
Note: The amounts of the ingredients and seasonings listed above can be adjusted according to one's personal taste.
2. Discard the seeds of the red and green peppers. Clean them and cut into triangular or diamond-shaped chunks.
3. Soak the black fungus in cold or warm water. After 10-15 minutes, pick out and cut into slices.
4. Remove the husk of garlic and peel the ginger. Clean them and cut into small pieces.
Fry the tofu: Pour enough cooking oil in wok. Heat it until hot. Put in the tofu one by one and fry over low heat. Turn over now and then. When they turn golden, pick out and drain off the oil.
Leave some cooking oil in wok. Heat it over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Fry for 10 seconds until fragrant. Then add in the red and green peppers. Stir-fry for 20-30 seconds.
Add the soaked black fungus. Fry for 30 seconds. Then pour the fried tofu in the wok.
Add in light soy sauce and salt. Stir to make the seasoning coat all ingredients and mix well. Turn off the heat.
The Home-style Tofu is ready. Serve the dish on a fine porcelain plate. It has a beautiful color and an alluring fragrance.
2. After serving the dish on a plate, you can place some small scallions in the mixture. This will generally improve the taste and the appearance of the dish.
3. Celery and Dry Bean Curd and Mapo Tofu are highly recommended if you are a tofu lover.
Nutrition Value of Home-style Tofu
2. Black fungus: It is packed with iron, which helps to prevent anemia. The vitamin K inside can diminish blood coagulum, so the black fungus helps to avoid suffering from thrombosis and coronary heart disease. What’s more, consuming black fungus over an extended period of time can prevent cancer.
Mr. Alan & Ms. Mary from Canada were excited to be taken into a local family in Xian. Mr. Alan recorded the whole process that Mary learned to cook Kung Pao Chicken & Home-style Tofu from the hostess. They praised it the most outstanding part of our service, and the meal prepared by the host was of high standard.
Ms. Gabriela from Mexico & Ms. Isabela from South Africa stepped in a local family in Xian during their China tour through our company. They had a good communication with the family and learned to cook Home-style Tofu & Steamed Chinese dumplings step by step from the hostess.
Mr. Jerry & Ms. Judith from USA had a cooking class during their family tour in Xian under the arrangement by TravelChinaGuide. As what in their booking, the hospitable hostess had prepared all the materials for cooking dumplings and Home-style Tofu Jerry & Judith would learn to cook on their arrival. The hostess said: 'To be a good cook in China, one should practise cutting skills first.' So the cutting work was almost done by Jerry & Judith under the instructions of the hostess that day.