Luggage Space on China Trains
Generally, in a seat class carriage, the luggage racks are above the seats on each side of the coach. They can hold suitcases as big as 28’’.
On high speed trains, there are closets for big baggage at the connection of two coaches; behind the last row of the seats, there is space for large baggage, too.
In sleeper carriages, the luggage racks are either above the aisles or above the doors inside the compartment. There is also luggage space under the lower berth or table.
| || |
• In the seat carriages (first, second, VIP and business classes), there are two luggage racks over seats, one at either side of the coach. The rack is 40–50 cm (15.7–19.6 inches) wide and 50–60 cm (19.6–23.6 inches) high. The largest suitcase it can hold is 28”.
High Speed Trains (C, D & G types)
Passengers traveling with large bags or suitcases over 28” can place them at the closets at the connection between two carriages, or behind the last row of seats. If you sit at the first row, there is room for your large bags or suitcases in front of your seats, too.
Kind Reminder: Carry your valuable items with you if you are far from your luggage; keep an eye on it, especially when passengers are getting on and off at a station.
• In the deluxe soft sleeper coaches, the luggage can be put under the lower berth which is also about 25 cm (9.8 inches) high or under the table which is 70 cm (27.6 inches) high. There is a closet opposite the berths to hang overcoats and store small bags.
• In the newly-adopted bullet sleeper trains, the luggage space is set under the lower berth, which can hold six 17’’ suitcases or two 25’’ suitcases at the same time. There is also a table beside each berth to put small bags.
• In hard sleeper coaches: The rack is over the aisle and is 53 cm (20.9 inches) wide. There is also room for luggage under the 70 cm (27.6 inches) high table and 25 cm (9.8 inches) high lower berths. Some hard sleeper coaches have closets inside the compartment, but the space there is much smaller than a rack.
Normal Trains (Z, T, K, Y, S, L, and numbered-only types)
• In hard seat coaches: Luggage racks are over the seats at both sides of the carriage. The rack is 55 cm (22 inches) wide and a large 28” suitcase can be placed on it. What's more, the 70 cm (27.6 inches) high table and 30 cm(11.8 inches) high seat provide room for baggage.
China Train Baggage Allowance and Transportation
China Train Travel - A Beginner’s Guide
Adventures by Rail:
- 5 Days China Tour: Shanghai - Suzhou - Zhouzhuang - Shanghai
- Xi'an - Luoyang Rail Tour: 1 Day of Xi'an - Luoyang - Xi'an
- Golden Triangle: 8 Days Budget Visit of Beijing - Xi'an - Shanghai
- Last modified on Oct. 16, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on Luggage Space on China Trains
Asked by Mi from USA | Dec. 01, 2019 20:35Reply
Can you bring skis on the high speed trains?
Answered by WONG | Dec. 02, 2019 18:52
It depends on the size, if it is not too large you could take it on the train. Pack it to rod-shaped, the limitation is less than 200 cm (79 inches).
Asked by Stella Ng from SINGAPORE | Nov. 07, 2019 22:55Reply
Luggage Space in High Speed Train
I have booked a 1st class Shanghai to HangZhou high speed train ticket.
Is there a space to put my 26" luggage?
Is there a space to put my 26" luggage?
Answered by Sanchia | Nov. 08, 2019 01:57
I think it should fit the rack above seats, if not, there is space for large sized luggage at the front or end of the carriage
Asked by peterw1688gmail.com from USA | Oct. 15, 2019 19:34Reply
golf bags and luggage
We have a group of 24 golfers from USA and will board train in Shenzhen to Nanning. Where do we put our luggage and golf bags on the 2nd class section?
Answered by Willis | Oct. 16, 2019 02:53
24 golf bags did take a lot space, the space lack for large sized luggage cannot work for that much. YOu can ony try to arrange them on the luggage racks above seats.
Asked by Chase M. Thomas from UNITED STATES | Sep. 10, 2019 07:22Reply
Is there any storage space on the train for bicycles and things like that?
Answered by Charles | Sep. 10, 2019 17:33
No, in fact bicycles is not allowed on the train.
Asked by Anil Kapoor from INDIA | Mar. 25, 2019 21:04Reply
What is the baggage size allowed on 2nd class bullet trains?
Answered by Fremont from USA | Mar. 27, 2019 01:10
the total dimension of length, width and height should be within 130cm. But they are not very strict about it. Luggage in larger size can also board with no problem.