Fengdu Snow Jade Cave (Xue Yu Dong)
|More Snow Jade Cave Photos|
Discovered in the mid-1990's, the cave is over 1,022 miles long. At present, it is the youngest discovered in China. Because of its uniqueness and beauty, it has become a popular scenic spot along the Yangtze River as well as serving as a research site for the study of caves.
Most of the stalactites in the cave are white and pure as jade, hence its name.
Some Unique Facts
Stalactites grow quickly - thirty-three millimeters in one hundred years in fact. In contract, in other such kinds of caves, the average stalactite only grows one millimeter in a century.
It houses many spectacular and unusual karst formations. These include a waterfall; stone hair; shields; coral and animal shapes. Snow Jade Cave is often referred to as the 'white marble sculpture museum.'
1. The coral tower in the cave is the largest of its kind in the world.
2. The glittering and transparent King Stone Flag at 26 feet high is the world's tallest and thinnest stone flag.
3. The stone shield at 13 feet high is also known as the Snowy Jade Penguin. It is a source of amazement and marvel for many visitors and scholars.
4. Certain groups of stalactites resemble goose necks, some as much as two yards long.
The perennial temperature in the cave is 60.8-62.6F. The air contains high levels of carbon dioxide and negative ions. It's reputed to have a curative effect for nasal and pulmonary conditions.
|Admission Fee:||CNY 70|
|Opening Hours:||08:00 to 17:00|
- Last modified on Apr. 02, 2018 -
Questions & Answers on Fengdu Snow Jade Cave (Xue Yu Dong)
Asked by lynn from SINGAPORE | Oct. 06, 2015 00:53Reply
If cruise to fengdu, how to get to snow jade cave if dont want to go ghost city?
Need how long to tour .
Answered by Lisa from GERMANY | Oct. 08, 2015 04:33
Lynn, there are direct buses from Fengdu Bus Station to Snow Jade Cave. The bus station is located at no. 159, Binjiang West Road. It costs around CNY 5. You can spend around 2 hours to visit the cave.