With a length of 2.3 kilometers (1.4 miles), Hengshan Road is a quiet and elegant passage between Xujiahui, the commercial center to the south, and Huaihai Road, the fashionable shopping street to the north in Shanghai Former French Concession
. These two bustling areas were built by the French in the 1920s. Hengshan Road is lined with leafy trees and European-style constructions. Currently, many of its buildings are used as bars, making Hengshan Road a famous bar street. It is popular among overseas tourists and expats as it is close to the embassy area.
A Road Full of Exotic Atmosphere
The leafy trees, the European-style sidewalk separation fence, the reddish-brown sidewalk, and the European-style constructions built along the street in the 1920s and 1930s, all give Hengshan Road an exotic atmosphere. Below are some landmarks on the road:
1. Shanghai Community Church: This is a famous Gothic-style Christian church built in 1925. You can go to visit at any time or go to mass at 07:30, 10:30 and 19:00 every Sunday.
2. West Lake Apartment: Formerly known as Washington Apartment, it was built in 1928. It is one of the earliest civil apartments with an elevator in Shanghai. It is still a residence.
3. Georgia Apartment: A dome apartment, it was built in 1942 and is similar to today's serviced apartments.
4. EMI: The locals call this Little Red House because of its red appearance. It was built in 1921 as a recording studio for Chinese. Today it is used as an upscale Western restaurant and bar.
A Famous Bar Street for Colorful Night Life
The bars in Hengshan Road vary in size and style, but they are all exquisite and unique: the American-style “Bourbon Street” is full of passion; “Sasha” is a pure English-style bar; “La Cocina” reveals a neo-classical Chinese style, "Time Back" makes you feel like you are in a small tea house in Shanghai of the 1920s and 1930s; “Baidu Club” is a bar full of heavy metal rock with a little hippop music; the "Little Red House" in a combination of Chinese and Western style is elegant and quiet. The "M-Box", "Vatiis" and "O'Malley" bars are full of energy.
In addition to the bars, Hengshan Road is also home to a wide variety of other so-called “bars”. There are book bars like “Farming Garden” with a special savour, cloth bars like “Primary Color Art’ full of personalities, coffee bars like “Good Luck” persuing warmth, flower bars like “Outstanding Artistry” full of fragrance. Also, there are lots of famous restaurants with special Chinese and western food like “Abbey Road” specializing in American Western cuisine and decorated with the theme of the Beatles; “Gorgeous Cottage” specializing in Guangzhou and Shanghai cuisine, and “Peace Official Residence” specializing in Shanghai cuisine.
How to Get to Hengshan Road
Take Shanghai metro line 1
and get off at Hengshan Road Station.
Take bus line 49, 96 and get off at Urumqi South Road Hengshan Road Station.
3. Take bus line 15, 167, 198, 315, 824, 830, 93 or 320 night snack line and get off at Hengshan Road Gaoan Road Station.
Nearby Attraction: Wukang Road
See more: Top 10 Things to Do in Shanghai 9 Interesting Places in Shanghai You Should Not Miss
- Last updated on Jul. 28, 2020 -