Style: Hunan Cuisine
Characteristics: Hand-torn Cabbage tastes crisp, fresh and a little bit sour and spicy. Its color is beautiful as well with red chili peppers and white and green cabbage.
The Hand-torn Cabbage, also called Stir Fry Chinese Cabbage, is a typical vegetable dish in Hunan Cuisine and is well-known throughout China. To protect the nutrition and moisture of the cabbage, the best way is to tear the vegetable by hand instead of cutting with a kitchen knife. In this way, the dish can be pretty fresh. What’s more, the rich nutrition value of cabbage makes the dish quite popular among all ages. For example, it helps to improve the appetite and has the function of preventing colds and gastric ulcers.
Recipe of Cooking Hand-torn Cabbage
Ingredients and Seasonings:
cooking oil, 3-5 dried chili peppers, 3-5 cloves of garlic, green onion, salt, light soy sauce, vinegar
Notes: The amounts of the ingredients and seasonings listed above can be appropriately adjusted according to one’s personal taste.
1. Tear the cabbage into pieces: halve the cabbage; remove the hard core; tear the leaves into small pieces layer by layer or in a couple of layers.
2. Clean and slice the garlic and green onion.
3. Clip the dried chili peppers into sections.
Preheat a wok and pour in cooking oil. Heat it and add in garlic, green onion and dried chili peppers. Stir-fry for 5-10sec until aromatic. Add in the hand-torn cabbage. Fry over high heat for around 1min until the leaves become translucent.
Add in light soy sauce and salt. Pour some vinegar along the wok side. Stir to combine with the cabbage. Turn off the heat.
Serve the dish onto a plate. The hand-torn stir fry Chinese cabbage is ready to be enjoyed.
Tips on Making the Best Hand-torn Cabbage:
2. The cabbage contains much moisture, so it is no need to rinse it. Just dispose of the soft and withered outer layer and use the fresh leaves inside.
3. It is suggested to add the vinegar along the side of the wok instead of directly sprinkle on the vegetable. After the vinegar evaporates over high heat, the cabbage smells nice.
4. The dish should be fried quickly over high heat to make the cabbage crisp.
Cabbage Health Benefits (Nutrition Value of Cabbage)
2. Folic acid: It prevents megaloblastic anemia and fetal anomaly, so can be a strong recommendation for pregnant women and growing children.
3. Indoles and sulforaphen: The two have anti-cancer functions. In particular, consumption of cabbage protects people from intestinal cancer.
4. Kalium: The abundant of kalium can prevent high blood pressure.
Ms. Debra, Mr. Russel, Mr. Mathew, Ms. Katherine, Mr. Jackson, and Ms. Rebecca from USA joined our family visit tour in Xi'an where the hostess is kind enough to open her apartment and offer cooking classes to visitors. They learnt to cook Hand-torn Cabbage - a typical vegetable dish in Hunan cuisine and enjoyed the delicious food prepared by the witty hostess.
Mr. Moshe & Ms. Linda from USA had a memorable lunch in a typical family in Xi'an. All the dishes were cooked by them and the hostess together, including Hand-torn Cabbage, Sweet and Sour Pork with Pineapple and Fish-Flavored Shredded Pork. They said that it was one of the highlights of their trip in China.
Mr. Sachin from Fiji & Ms. Vibha from Australia had an unusual experience during their family tour in Xi'an organized by TravelChinaGuide. The couple were brought into a personal apartment of a local Xi'an family by the guide, looked around the home, learned to cook Kung Pao Chicken, Chinese Dumplings & Hand-torn Cabbage, and finally enjoyed a home-cooked meal with the family.