Mooncake Recipe - How to Make Chinese Mooncakes at Home
Cooking and Nutrition Information
|Serving Size: |
|Prep Time: |
|Cooking Time: |
|Nutrients (per 100g): |
protein: 8.2g; carbs: 65.6g;
fats: 13.6g; fibers: 3.1g
flour 80g, invert syrup or honey 50g, peanut oil 20g, alkaline water 2g or baking soda 2g, red bean paste 180g, 6 eggs
Note: This is a traditional mooncake recipe to make 6 mooncakes, each about 70g. If you want to make more, use more materials according to the proportions.
1. Make Crust: Mix invert syrup or honey, alkaline water and peanut oil well, add flour and mix well again, then knead the mixture into a dough, and let the dough grow for about 3 hours. If there is no alkaline water, you can make 2g of baking soda dissolve in a little water and use it.
2. Make Egg Yolk: Crack the eggs, take out the egg yolks and bake them for 5 minutes at 150℃ (300℉) in an oven.
3. You can also make red bean paste by yourself: soak about 100g red beans a day in advance, boil them in a pressure cooker, then add 50g brown sugar to the cooked red beans and crush them with a spoon. If you want it to be drier, fry it.
Step 1. Divide the dough into smaller pieces each 25g and divide bean paste each 30g.
Step 2. Flat the bean paste, put in an egg yolk and wrap it into a ball. A filling ball is fine. Make the rest fillings like this.
Step 3. Flat the flour dough, put in a filling ball, wrap it and shape the whole into an oval.
Step 4. Sprinkle some flour into the moon cake mold evenly, then put the oval dough into the mold and shape the dough. Follow step 3 and step 4 of this mooncake recipe to make the rest.
Step 5. Put a piece of oil-absorbing paper on the baking tray, then put the shaped mooncakes on it.
Step 6. Preheat the oven for 5 minutes, bake them for 5 minutes at 170℃ (340℉).
Step 7. Brush egg liquid on the mooncakes and then bake them again in the oven for 15 minutes.
Take them out of the oven and serve them on a fine plate. The red bean paste mooncake with yolks are ready to be enjoyed. It tastes better after being stored in sealed fresh-keeping bags for 2 days.
Tips on How to Make Mooncakes
1. You can marinate egg yolks in cooking wine for a few minutes to remove the unwanted smell before baking them.
2. If you don’t like eating egg yolks, you can wrap only red bean paste as filling.
3. The red bean mooncake recipe provide a common cooking method. You can replace the red bean paste with green bean paste, lotus seed paste, jujube paste and many others to make mooncakes of other flavors.
Traditional Mooncakes in China - 12 Types of Regional Variations